Main Menu

good gear to have

Started by mdittrich, April 25, 2009, 11:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdittrich

I've been doing a lot of reading on this sight and tons of good info.  I've been riding for 1.5 years and have come up with my own "ghetto style" safety gear.  I have a good Shoei helmet, good gloves, work boots and generally Carhart's for pants.  I was just wondering what everyone felt was good gear to ride with. Also, are there certain things you like to carry on your bike that come in handy.  Thanks,   Matt

Justin

Be very careful with the laces.  Your foot can't reach the ground if the bow is caught on the clutch lever.
The problem with carharts is that you'll get abrasions right through them, and probably much worse because they don't slide.  Leather, or cordura/nylon can transmit the blunt force into a glide and slide easily.

I try to consider What type of medical insurance do I have?  Is it worth the extra risk/ missed work/ copays? 

I know it seems expensive, but I'd rather skip starbucks, or skip the nightclub, or lower the cell phone bill for a couple months just to get better gear. 

newenough.com offers some very affordable gear.
5 different boots for under $100
3 different gloves around $50
Leather suit for $400.
Check them out!
There are a few motorcycle store owners on this board.  I'm sure they will offer you some affordable options as well.
One real crash and you'll be so incredibly happy you had this stuff.

trent

We all know that suiting up (leather suit, boots, gloves and, helmet) every time we ride is not condusive to every situation. Especially when you commute to work. I believe that Textile gear has proven to be a very affordable alternative to leather. I ALWAYS wear at the very least, Helmet ,gloves,textile jacket and my boots. I keep a pair of shoes at work and change them when I get there.

Check out jafrum.com They dont have name brand gear but it is very affordable..

P.S. Be careful with the lace....  ;) ;) ;)
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

dmh2000

these aren't leathers, but when i go out for street ride i wear these britches. they have reinforced knees, rubber kneepads (recommended by Monica Lewinsky) and kevlar crotch. plus they are well made and inexpensive.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tahrtpacl.html

dave

mdittrich

Thanks Guys,  I have a pair of Icon Air Mesh pants on order for the summer time.  I also have a leather jacket, its thick leather but doesn't have the padding interface of some of the other jackets I've seen.  When it's hot, I wear a Joe Rocket air mesh jacket.  So, I feel that good boots are my next item to tackle as this seems my biggest deficiency for gear at this time.  A good streetbike leather jacket with padding seems like a really good idea.  Appreciate all the feedback.   Matt

oldBolt

If your jacket does not zip to your pants it may roll up on a slide.  Trauma kills older folks easier that younger ones.  If your past thirty five gear up as small things can finish you off.  Leather will not heat up like synthetics also on a slide.  A mesh jack may seem cooler but it will transfer the heat of the fraction to skin quickly.  No road rash but you get a third degree burn.  Buy good leather that is well ventilated and fits correctly.   Pay now or pay latter the choice is yours. 
I would only buy custom made any more.  My body is just, well no longer off ther rack if you know what I mean.  If it does not fit well it's almost useless.  I wear my black leather all year long,  the heat is just a mental thing. Anyway the funest things I have ever done envolve sweeting, sports, sex, ridding my bike in the desert heat...etc ;D

I am sure we will meet on one of the schedule rides this year,  until then be safe and ride it like you stoled it...that's a joke as I am very slow rider...but safe.

"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

yzinger

I can be a testimate to good gear. about 2 weeks ago, I went down about 1/2 mile from my house (ya, I am going to kill the kid who cut me off.) I was wearing my leather jacket as always, my scorpion helmet and dirt bike gloves. My leather jacket did exactly what it was supposed to, and I will never ride with anything other then leather. I do have an icon mesh jacket, but it will never be as protective as leather. My new, un-crashed helmet did its job, which probably saved my life. my one regret is not wearing the proper gloves, even tho i sustained minor injuries to my hands. for just around town, a good helmet, jacket and gloves are a MINIMUM. I can usually be found with combat boots on too. when I ride the twisties, I am wearing nearly all my race gear. I learned through this crash how important it is to have your pants attach to your jacket. the only rash I received was from the jacket riding up.

And ALWAYS tuck your laces in. could be a costly mistake on a stop light  ;D

as for stuff on my bike, I carry a gun lock for my helmet, and a crushed alluminum can for under the kickstand. I will also be purchasing a helmet/dash cam for the bike, to show the cops the what actually happened next time someone cuts me off.

Hope to see you on the road this season!

mdittrich

I went and bought some Alpinestar boots today to address the lack of good footwear.  I definately see your points abuout the jacket and the pants being connective.  A high quality leather is the next thing in order.  Are there certain styles and brands that are higher quality?  Icon vs. Joe Rocket, etc?

yzinger

I WOULD (PERSONALLY) OOPS CAPS stay away from icon. Alpinestars is definitly the most popular, and in my opinion one of the best in quality. Joe rocket is also good, along with shift. When getting the jacket, make sure it fits snuggly and to your frame, and still leaves you enough room to articulate. Do not think every brand is the same, because they are all completly unique. I wear a 50 in shift, 54 in rocket, and 52 in A*. basically get something that fits YOU.

Justin

I know this stuff is very expensive, but I really want to commend you for hearing what the guys are saying and trusting us.  I promise you that you are doing the very smartest and most sensible thing.  Most of us have purchased or worn the the wrong stuff several times before we figured it out (the hard way sometimes)

Adiggity

Yeah, I wouldn't wear anything but leather personally. I have witnessed at least one crash on the street that I am pretty certain a friend of mine wouldn't be here today if he hadn't had good gear on. Motorcycle boots, Alpine Star leather suit (2 piece), Alpine Star gloves and back protector and a Shoei helmet. He stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks with over thirty breaks in his back, seven broken ribs, a collapsed lung, torn ligaments in his knee and a concussion. In my opinion it is always worth spending the extra cash to get the good stuff. And as typical with most stuff, you get what you pay for. Most makers have a low (econo) line and a top shelf line. The top shelf stuff really is better stuff. It is worth having to deal with the possibility of being a little warm during the summer months but having the protection of leather. There is no substitute imo. And the good leather will protect you better and last longer than the cheap stuff. I bought a Taichi leather suit in 2004 for $1300. Have crashed 7 times in them. Twice at over 100mph and only have had to send them out for a patch job once ($300). And that was more for cosmetic reasons than structural breakdown. There was a hole in the a$$ from sliding for about 150 yards on them about the size of a #2 pencil but that was only through 1 layer. Never did feel anything, heat or road rash at all. Still wear it and it is still working.  :) If you compromise in something with your motorcycling hobby, gear is last on the list to compromise in when it comes to quality. I would recommend a back protector as well. I do understand that for all the commuters, getting all geared up in race leathers and all is a pain. So, for short little rides in town, as has been said, at the least you should wear a good leather jacket, good boots, good helmet and good gloves and long pants. And for the gloves, I recommend getting the kind that cover you past the wrist. You'll know what I mean when you are looking for them. For all day rides or rides where your going a significant distance you should get all geared up in your racing stuff. You'll be glad you did if and when you ever go down. Good to see you are giving it thought and asking for advise.

Yard Sale

always: ballistic nylon overpants, roadrace boots, full face helmet
15-70 F: 3/4 length leather jacket with insulated liner, leather roadrace gloves
70-90 F: leather jacket (liner removed), back protector, leather roadrace gloves
90-100 F: mesh jacket, back protector, shorty mesh top gloves
100+ F: truck, air conditioning

I've crashed a lot in leather and crashed a few times in non-leather. Leather is better for crashing, period.

yzinger

Dandelion

I started out with some cheap icon gear but learned very quickly that it was low quality when the threads started to fray from normal use.  Riding in the desert is another consideration when buying gear, because you've got to keep the gear on and find ways to beat the heat. 

short trip/commuter gear:
I ride in a Shoei X-11 helmet (the vents work really well in the summer heat) an Alpinestars mesh jacket, jeans (sometimes heavy duty sometimes not), Dianese back protector, gauntlet style BMW leather gloves and Tourmaster Response SC boots.

sporty ride or trackday:
Shoei X-11 helmet, Alpinestar leather jacket, SHIFT leather pants (zip together), Dianese back protector, gauntlet style BMW leather gloves, and SIDI boots.

I have a high visibility vest (think safety road construction style) in my tail pack to wear over my black leathers at night as well as some windbreaker pants that fit over my jeans and leathers.  On my list of things I would still like to get are an under jacket cooling vest and a waterproof cover for my torso.