Main Menu

Adjustable Handlebars Installed

Started by wills, March 24, 2011, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wills

I have been trying to make the bike's riding position more flexible for a 6'2" rider who rides mostly street with a few track days. I wanted to be able to set up similar to OEM for track, and be able to make things less cramped for the 300+ mile days in the CA mountains.

For the feet the Vortex rear sets were installed, which does help give a little more space for the legs. http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80593

But this thread is about installing and setting up the Apex http://www.apexmfg.com/riser.htm adjustable clip ons. And adjustable is an understatement as you have limitless positions which creates that "what if" problem. I suggest you set them up and ride, or you will drive yourself crazy! The only thing I had to add was a set of front brake lines. I had Speigler http://spieglerusa.com/brakes/cycle-brake-line-kits.html add 5" to their standard steel line set, which gives me plenty of length. The cables and electrical lines have plenty of length for my set up. You should have the factory service manual as it gives complete instructions for the process. Also do use thread lock on all hardware. I also picked up a neat speed bleeder from Motion Pro http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0143/. This thing can be used an any bleeder valve, so a handy addition to the tool box. I bought a 1 5/8" socket for the triple tree nut, and also put painter (blue) tape around the nut to protect it.

The Apex bars are longer, so I cut about an inch off the ends, your taste may warrant a different length. I used the OEM bar ends, which take a vice and some work to get out of the OEM bars. You also need to trim the rubber on the end to fit the Apex bar's  interior. All the controls have small posts on their interior, this was to locate them at assembly time. These need to be removed to properly attach to the new bars, I used a Dremmel, love that tool. The brake reservoir bracket may be a little high depending on your positioning. I bent it down some and there is no clearance issue. I would estimate the additional bar height to be about 3" and a little closer the the tank. Also you can change the angle which I did to decrease the downward angle.

The bike rides fine, I notice the steering is more responsive. Due to the crappy weather here, I can't run up the local twisty mountain pass to compare, but it is much more comfortable. I think this will make those long rides more fun.

Some pics:

Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

Team Gorgonzola

I put some "cyclecat" risers on the 748 and it made a huge difference in both comfort and ergonomics.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

GreenMachine

You should thank Mother Nature for providing you with ample 'down-days' to keep you motivated on projects like this!

I have been doing some mods to my other bike to make it a better long-range bike too. 

I'm already looking forward to riding out to Ft. Bragg and doing some overnight trips later this spring.

It's going to be an outstanding season!!

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

wills

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 24, 2011, 08:37:38 PM
You should thank Mother Nature for providing you with ample 'down-days' to keep you motivated on projects like this!

I have been doing some mods to my other bike to make it a better long-range bike too. 

I'm already looking forward to riding out to Ft. Bragg and doing some overnight trips later this spring.

It's going to be an outstanding season!!

You got chains for the bike? Looks like you will need them for Yuba this year!http://iwitness.weather.com/_Deep-Snow/video/1548353/148597.html

It will take 3 months for this crap to melt!
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

GreenMachine

Naa!  I doubt all the snow will delay the riding season more than a few weeks. 

I don't see the beads seat cover.  Is that still in your favor?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

wills

Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

cobra23

This is a good looking scooter... there is just something about Kawasaki, their bikes have always been the best looking.

Nice ride.

GreenMachine

:o  She's a good girl too.

Hey Wills!  Well?  It's nice enough out there today for a spin.  What's up with the new mods?

wills

What about the ride @ noon? Going to take the big bike, little bike goes to VC tomorrow for BBQ! :P
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

GreenMachine

See other thread. Sorry Wills.  Missing a ride with you is REALLY missing out.  I know! 

You know me, though.  I don't miss a ride opportunity very often.