Main Menu

Roll Call - SSA Fecta. SATURDAY 06/14/14 - All SSA rides in 1 day

Started by GreenMachine, June 09, 2014, 02:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Saturday 06/14/2014 *** MORE INFO IN POSTS BELOW ***
Meet up is at the Maverick Country Store gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout).

We depart Maverik as soon as all the posted riders show up or 5:15 AM
(sunrise is 5:31 AM), whichever comes first.

If we're going to do it, might as well do it while the weather isn't too hot (forecast for 90° in the lower foothills), 80° for Reno, morning low is suppose to be 51°.  

For those who don't know what this ride is, I'll give a brief history.  There once was a ride referred to as the Tri-Fecta, taking in Yuba, La Porte & Buck's Lake (three passes).  I don't recall ever hearing of anyone who attempted that ride and it was thought to be an insane amount of riding to do for one day anyway.  

Along comes TahoeBrian5 and his long rides.  He was interested in the Tri-Fecta, but comes up with the idea of the Fecta, all the SSA rides in one day.   Now that would be insane!!!  Less VC & the truck route, that ride was accomplished in 2011 by the following SSA members:

1) TahoeBrian5
2) SparkyGixxer
3) BigCat
4) GreenMachine

To our credit however, the last two passes in the Tri-Fecta were done in laps.   It was a very long day, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.  Epic!

It's a quest ride that requires stamina, a love for riding, a good riding pace, an adventurous attitude, and willpower.  

The ride starts near dawn, should cover over 600 miles and completes sometime around or after dusk.  Meet up is at the Maverick gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout). Yes at the base of VC highway & 395/I580.

This is your roll call.  I'm going.

*** Google MAP ***
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

I'm in again!

I'll meet you at the Chevron in Meyers at 730.

It's nice to do this ride on Saturday rather than Sunday. I appreciated sleeping and generally being lazy the day after last year.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

That would be a trip to remember, maybe next year.     The misses and I are leaving Sat, heading north toward Canada.

Have a safe ride.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on June 09, 2014, 02:42:00 PM
I'm in again!

It's nice to do this ride on Saturday rather than Sunday. I appreciated sleeping and generally being lazy the day after last year.
For sure, for sure!

I'm beginning to think I should advance the start time another half hour earlier so I can take in Monitor.   :egyptian  Reno crew included.

Hmm.  Jimbo's usually up by then.  I wonder if he'd be interested in a little Monitor Dawn Patrol?   :D  He could then go home and back to reading the paper, while I continue on.  How about it Jimbo?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

nvgixxer

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 09, 2014, 09:16:25 PM
Quote from: dub on June 09, 2014, 02:42:00 PM
I'm in again!

For sure, for sure!

I'm beginning to think I should advance the start time another half hour earlier so I can take in Monitor.   :egyptian  Reno crew included.

Hmm.  Jimbo's usually up by then.  I wonder if he'd be interested in a little Monitor Dawn Patrol?   :D  He could then go home and back to reading the paper, while I continue on.  How about it Jimbo?
Hey GM!
I have a family BBQ that afternoon, but I might be interested in tagging along for a leg or two of your epic adventure. Give me more specifics as to the exact morning route. I could meet up with the group as you pass by Carson City or..................???
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

GreenMachine

I was up this morning at 5:15 AM and it was fairly light already, so if realistically I'm the only rider from Reno and I have the meetup with Dub at 7:30.  I think I might try to jump start Markleeville from Maveriks at that time instead of 5:30 AM.  But let's wait a couple more days to be sure about that.

Are you okay with riding at Sun up?

Tahoebrian5

I am considering going. I'm not in riding shape so maybe I'll cut out early.. Or maybe not. I'm supposed to have a new tire coming so the bike should be ready.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

nvgixxer

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 10, 2014, 01:23:38 PM
I was up this morning at 5:15 AM and it was fairly light already, so if realistically I'm the only rider from Reno and I have the meetup with Dub at 7:30.  I think I might try to jump start Markleeville from Maveriks at that time instead of 5:30 AM.  But let's wait a couple more days to be sure about that.

Are you okay with riding at Sun up?
I've departed many times at sun up, even before. The only time I don't like riding is at night, as is the case with most riders that live here.
Your plan is to meet up with Dob at 7:30, where?
Anyway, yeah, we have a few days until Sat., keep me posted.

Jimbo

GreenMachine

This is beginning to get tricky.  In order for me to meetup with Dub at the So. Lake California Inspection Point Chevron and do Markleeville & Monitor over and back, like <this>, I'm going to need to leave Maverik by 5:00 AM to have any chance of getting there by 7:30 AM.

If I add laps on Monitor, which I could do, I could pick you up on a no frills ride at any point from where the VC truck route comes out onto hwy 50 all the way down to Minden.  I was thinking Topsy Lane Starbucks where we used to always meet, at just after dawn (5:40 AM).  I'll need to keep rolling, but I'll want to get a couple pictures riding Dawn Patrol over Monitor with you.  CRAZY.  CRAZY.  CRAZY.  Obviously will want to scale back the pace where critters may be still roaming about in the wooded sections.

I'm half tired and half excited just thinking about it.   :|)

nvgixxer

Agreed, I would expect the pace to be somewhat scaled down from our usual blast up and back. I've had more than one occasion of deer jumping out in front of me on Monitor, anytime of day! Ha, Topsy Starbucks? I have coffee there 5 days a week with other retired friends. Good place to meet. Don't force yourself to do Monitor prior to meeting up with Dub if time is tight, Ice House is just down the road you know, so to speak. Obviously it's your call though.
Time permitting, I'd tag along with you guys and do Ice House. We'll see............
I wish more guys would go, the ride groups are shrinking.

Jimbo

GreenMachine

SL and I rode Icehouse two weekends ago.  I'm still not sold on that road.  Narrow, bumpy, traffic.  Survive it and be happy.  He and I just cruised it.  Now WWS, is another story.  It's to be shredded.

I rode with TB5 on his newly configured Repsol.  He was thinking he might actually join me for the AM portion, then cut off in Auburn and head home.  He is, after all, getting married the following weekend.  Fecta kind of trashes those who complete it, which is why having Sunday off is almost a requirement.

And adding Monitor has always been on my list.  With the longer days, I think this is one ride were we could actually string it in.

You're funny!  Does that sound like a good place to meet up?  5:40 AM?

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 10, 2014, 05:36:15 PM
I am considering going. I'm not in riding shape so maybe I'll cut out early.. Or maybe not. I'm supposed to have a new tire coming so the bike should be ready.

Yeah!
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

I'm afraid TB5's not going to make it this trip either.  While his bike is ready, he has an important date next weekend that's far more important than riding 680 miles.

So barring a surprise from someone chiming in, it'll be me and probably NVgixxer for the morning portion.  And with temperatures falling even more due to a cold front moving through right at the moment, I need morning temperatures to be more moderate and may skip VC.  It's not part of our regular ride schedule and cutting it out will mean I'll have additional buffer to do Monitor, stop and take pictures and not be so hasty with my time.  I'll see what it feels like Saturday morning.  Who knows, maybe I'll shoot over VC after the ride, just to put icing on the cake.

The good part though, is that once the sun comes up, riding temperatures should be ideal.  Highs in the 80s.  I can live with that.  It'll certainly help with keeping our stamina up.  But then, this ride's epic euphoric nature kind of does that all by itself anyway.  Fecta is a super quest ride.  Reliving the memories always puts a smile on my face.

nvgixxer

Hey GM,

I'm soon off on a 10 mile loop hike in the Genoa area with two friends. I'll get back to you this evening to see what your plans are.
From the Chevron station in South Lake Tahoe, what is your destination? Are you going up Ice House and then WWS first.............or??

Jimbo