Main Menu

Open Roll Call for July 1st group ride 8:00 AM start

Started by GreenMachine, June 29, 2012, 10:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkygixxer

:-\
Too early for me, I don't get home from work till about 8am.  Oh well, another time.  Have fun guys/gals!

GreenMachine

Sorry about that too Sparky.  I wasn't sure how that was going to work for your schedule, but look at it this way, you'll get some sleep for a change. 

Okay so there's road construction on 395 south of Topaz.  That will affect the last leg of our ride coming back from Sonora, passing through Walker River canyon into Coleville, CA. 
Rise and shine campers.  Reno departs in an hour!  :disco
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

tmylynn

Sounds like a great ride. I have always wanted to do that one. I hope you guys are having a great time. I will catch up next time.

Tammy

GreenMachine

Headed right now to La Vecchia's for appetizers.  Probably hanging around at the bar for a bit and catching up with Alberto.  Sparky's coming too.  Should arrive there after 6:30PM and stay for a while.

I have lots of pictures from today again, but I need to head over, so I'll post up later tonight.
The ride was just what the doctor ordered.  Light traffic.  Excellent group. Ideal conditions.  No incidents.  And we even picked up a late SSA rider who finally caught us in Sonora.  Where'd the heck he come from???   :crackup
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: tmylynn on July 01, 2012, 11:37:58 AM
Sounds like a great ride. I have always wanted to do that one. I hope you guys are having a great time. I will catch up next time.

Tammy
It turned out that way.  Wish you had been there.  Riding the passes is less of a sport ride as it is just going for the adventure and beauty.   I've often thought it strange that Brian liked doing Ebbetts.  It's not a sport ride, but I think we all appreciated just stopping along the way and taking it in. 

Hope to see you next time.

GreenMachine

Stopping for a bit on Ebbetts

Fueling in Murphys, CA

Photo Op on Sonora Pass, letting campers get on ahead while we take a break

Ice cream break in Markleeville.  Double stack mint chip. YUM!

dub

Now THAT was a great ride.  Cool temperatures down in the lower elevations, light traffic for the most part,  roads were in good shape, no crashes/mechanicals and there must have been a regional donut expo this weekend because we saw nary a cop the whole way. 
That has to be one of the prettiest routes around, it's scenic the whole way.  Of course, sometimes you don't have much time to admire the scenery, like when you are negotiating a bumpy, rocky 25% downgrade switch back.
Sorry I didn't stick around for ice cream; I was so close to home, I didn't feel like taking an extended stop and making another leg of it.  I had a chance to say bye to everyone but GM who literally jumped off the bike and sprinted into the shop, he must have been REALLY excited for ice cream.
Something to keep in mind for next time:  While we were in the Angels Camp/Sonora area I just happened to notice we passed Parrots Ferry Rd twice and guessed it must connect our route.  Maybe instead of riding down through Angels Camp then to Sonora on 49 we should try using Parrots Ferry Rd as a cut off.  Looks like it may be fun and miss some of the typical 49 traffic, unless someone knows of a reason why that road is no good.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019