Main Menu

70-89-36-395 Quadrant?

Started by Mel, August 10, 2014, 11:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mel

Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience with the roads in the quadrant surrounded by 70-89-36-395? I was on Google maps and satellite view for a few hours until my vision got blurry, and found some pretty cool roads I definitely want to check out. I found where you can stay on paved roads from Janesville off of 395 all the way to Antelope Lake, and paved roads all the way over to 89 into Greenville. There was also a paved road almost all the way down to Davis Lake, but it turned into dirt for a few miles, but then you hit pavement again at Davis Lake down to 70. There were some other cool roads in there to also check out.

What say you Dub ;)!

Mel

dub

That's a huge square of Plumas National Forest. I'm certain there are a lot of great, remote roads in there. Finding the paved ones will be the challenge. On a dual sport bike I'm sure you could get lost in there for days riding neat dirt roads.

Last time you posted up about exploring new roads we made plans on it. Then you bailed at the last minute. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

Hey Dub,

I had to go look up that thread and I see that I am half way off the hook for bailing, because I did the roads in my van first and found they were not worth it :)! Here it is here!

http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=4082.0

Mel

dub

Well if you insist upon pre-scouting the roads in your van, do that first, then we'll make ride plans. Or we could just go and find out together whether or not they are any good.

Mel

Well, I scouted the roads up there and was pretty much on fireroads the whole day :'(! A couple roads that I thought were paved from the satellite views were just pavement colored gravel :)! Had a great time in the van though with the wife and pups, and saw some beautiful country. These roads would be heaven on a dual sport bike and almost had me wanting to sell my FZ6 and get a dual sport just to rip on these roads :)!

Mel

dub

Sounds like I may like to go ride them anyway.

Mel

Dub, your Triumph would love those roads 8)!

Mel

dub

Mel

Hey Dub,

Went straight up to Susanville and from Main St, hooked a left on Weatherlow which turns into Richmond Rd. Took that out and made a right on Gold Run Rd. Gold Run eventually turns into dirt and maybe 3 or 4 miles out you will come to a paved section not even a 1/4 mile long. Right at the end of the pavement you will see a road that y's to the left. That is a well groomed gravel road called Forest Srv Rd which will take you all the way down to Fruit Growers Blvd. We went down this one for a bit and turned around back to Gold Run. Gold Run turns into Diamond Mountain Rd and you can take this one all the way to Greenville. There is a road sign up there saying Greenville 34 miles or something like that. This is a cool fireroad with fantastic views. We went about another 5 or 6 miles in then turned around. You would enjoy these roads 8)!

Mel