Main Menu

Roll Call: SSA Fecta - A season's worth of rides all packed into one day

Started by GreenMachine, July 08, 2013, 10:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Saturday 07/13/2013 *** MORE INFO IN POSTS BELOW ***
Meet up is at the Maverick gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout).

Departs as soon as all the posted riders show up or 6:00 AM, whichever comes first.

If we're going to do it, might as well do it while the weather isn't too hot (forecast for 95° in the lower foothills), 92° for Reno.  

For those who don't know what this ride is, I'll give a brief history.  There once was a ride referred to as the Tri-Fecta, taking in Yuba, La Porte & Buck's Lake (three passes).  I don't recall ever hearing of anyone who attempted that ride and it was thought to be an insane amount of riding to do for one day anyway.  

Along comes TahoeBrian5 and his long rides.  He's interested in the Tri-Fecta, but comes up with the idea of the Fecta, all the SSA rides in one day.   Now that would be insane!!!  Less VC & the truck route, that ride was accomplished in 2011 by the following SSA members:

1) TahoeBrian5
2) SparkyGixxer
3) BigCat
4) GreenMachine

To our credit however, the last two passes in the Tri-Fecta were done in laps.   It was a very long day, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.  Epic!

It's a quest ride that requires stamina, a love for riding, an adventurous attitude, and willpower.  

The ride starts near dawn, should cover over 600 miles and completes sometime around or after dusk.  Meet up is at the Maverick gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout). Yes at the base of VC highway & 395/I580.

This is your roll call.  I'm going.

*** Google MAP ***
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

BMWSportRider

I am in! This would make a great Saturday ride! I am going on a 2400 mile vacation ride in August, so I need some long rides to train my body.
Motorcycles in my stable:
2008 BMW R1200RT (Sport Touring)
2011 BMW K1300S (Sportier Riding and Touring)

2005 Ellsworth Truth (OK, that's my mountain bike!)

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on July 08, 2013, 02:32:21 PM
This is Saturday, July 13th you are talking about?
Good catch.  Yes. Saturday, this Saturday the 13th. 

I started the thread from the SSA Calendar which only gives something like 25 characters and neglected to read the post from an outsider's perspective.

Fixed.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: BMWSportRider on July 08, 2013, 04:20:24 PM
I am in! This would make a great Saturday ride! I am going on a 2400 mile vacation ride in August, so I need some long rides to train my body.
Awesome!  I'll post up more details in the next few days, but it's nearly identical to the one accomplished in 2010, except instead of getting a little lost at mid-day, there won't be any such problem...unless there's a road closure that we have to navigate around...not anticipating such. 

Road should be clear of any dust/dirt from the recent storms and no storms are forecast between now and the ride on Saturday.  Keeping my fingers crossed that holds true.

SinisterVendetta

whew.... this one will kick my arse i'm sure, but i'm in  :o   6am at the defunct chevron on s.virginia correct?

GreenMachine

Quote from: SinisterVendetta on July 08, 2013, 05:22:39 PM
whew.... this one will kick my arse i'm sure, but i'm in  :o   6am at the defunct chevron on s.virginia correct?
Is it defunct or under different ownership?  Damn, I was just by there a couple weeks ago.  Could have sworn it was operational.

BTW, you're a madman for attempting this ride.  Good news is we'll never be more than 180 miles from Reno, so if you need to bail early it wouldn't be too difficult to find your way home.

dub

I'm in.

It's possible that a prior tentative plan for that day could be confirmed.  I'll let you know if I have to bail.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

SinisterVendetta

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 08, 2013, 05:44:58 PM
Quote from: SinisterVendetta on July 08, 2013, 05:22:39 PM
Is it defunct or under different ownership?  Damn, I was just by there a couple weeks ago.  Could have sworn it was operational.

BTW, you're a madman for attempting this ride.  Good news is we'll never be more than 180 miles from Reno, so if you need to bail early it wouldn't be too difficult to find your way home.
Agreed on the madman part, we'll see how far I can go! With my slower pace I'll likely be fine, i'm just going to remember ear plugs this time. The chevron is fenced off and quite vacant..the last time I passed it several days ago.

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on July 08, 2013, 06:23:41 PM
I'm in.

It's possible that a prior tentative plan for that day could be confirmed.  I'll let you know if I have to bail.

The interest in this ride is incredible!  Would love to have a rider of your caliber in the party.  You too are a madman.   I guess we're all just mad.   :tard

I blame Brian.

GreenMachine

I got word from TB5 that he has to wash his hair and vig-J-J this weekend, so he's out.  Whiner!

BMWSportRider

I will see you guys there at 6 AM. I am coming from Carson City, but I will try to get there a little early if I can wake up early enough. I am looking forward to it!
Motorcycles in my stable:
2008 BMW R1200RT (Sport Touring)
2011 BMW K1300S (Sportier Riding and Touring)

2005 Ellsworth Truth (OK, that's my mountain bike!)

GreenMachine

Hey BMW,

Why not either catch us as we go by at the base of VC, like at the 7/11 on hwy 341 (or Maverick at hwy 341) or save your energy and just pick us up as we go by Topsy lane in CC? 

The route map is posted above. I'm not sure we're going to meet now at the old Chevron.  That location closed.  Now I'm thinking Maverick on hwy 341.  Yes.  That's a better meet-up location, now that I think of it.

GreenMachine

Things to bring and schedule.

1) the ride route map, so if you get lost you will be able to join back up with us and/or get home safely
2) water/hydration
3) powerbars & light snacks
4) full charged cell phone

In order to complete this ride our pace will need to be brisk and delays/breaks held to an absolute minimum.  Obviously we'll stop here and there for fuel and to stretch our legs, but our lunch break will need to be expedited, so Fast Food will be in order.  Depending on what the group wants to do, we'll probably take a break in Foresthill, Auburn or Grass Valley based on previous experience.  

Last time we stopped in Grass Valley at a really quaint downtown deli.  Parking was a bear, but it all worked out.

GreenMachine

Input?  Anyone have any questions, comments, etc?

And so we're all on the same page... Meet up is at the Maverick gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout).