Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

TRACK DAY REQUIREMENTS

Started by Sierra Sportbike Assn, April 06, 2008, 07:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sierra Sportbike Assn

I conferred with the man, who has met with RFR management. I offered to type this up.
Here is a list of stuff you need, followed by what the other track day providers require so you can prepare for both.

A safe day pretty much guarantees a fun day! We all want that, so we'll start with
Protective Gear

*Motorcycle Jacket and Pants. Either Leather or Nylon. They do not need to zip together. (All other track day providers require one piece suits or that they zip together)
  *Sturdy gloves and Over-the-ankle boots (All other providers require motorcycle specific apparel)
*DOT approved Helmet
 *Health Insurance is required

Bike Requirements (You CAN ride to the track and do this stuff there. I've done it more than a few times.   Most of us have extra stuff if you forget anything)
 *ANTIFREEZE IS OK. Zoom Zoom does insist on removing and replacing glycol based coolant with 'Water Wetter' type stuff.  Keigwin's and Pacific Track Time lists this as "OPTIONAL"  If you are going to do a track day with Zoom, you might as well get it over with.  It's not to difficult.
  *Your tires and brakes should be in good shape.
 *Remove or tape mirrors. Painter's tape (the blue stuff) leaves no residue. Reflection of the sun can disturb your concentration as well as the riders behind you.  It's important keep your attention on what's in front of you. (No need to look over your shoulder, either)
 *Disconnect brake light and rear signals, or remove bulbs/fuse, or completely tape brake light lens. No light should be visible to riders behind you. Blinking lights are fairly distracting.  The hand signal to be used on the track will be reviewed and presented in the mandatory riders meeting
 *Taping over your headlights is only required if you have glass up there. Most bikes have plastic lenses. If you are taping your headlight it's important to know that "duct tape" reflects a lot of heat and can melt the housing. Use painters tape.

***Bring extra gas*** 5 gallons should suffice. I've run 170 miles on a track day (I'm sure others do more)  You'll use a LOT more gas on the track than you do on a sunday ride. 15 mpg loss isn't hard to imagine.

Other things that will make for a good day
*Lots of water/juice/sports drink. (Alcohol is not permitted)
I usually purchase these, and some lunch food just as I pull in to Fernley.  By the way, every motorcycle you see at that gas station is probably headed to the same place you are, so be friendly! Introduce yourself! :)  You might be parking next to them and hanging out with them all day.

It's is a GREAT IDEA to use earplugs. Foam plugs for $0.25 can have a profound effect on preventing aural fatigue (and a headache)
I suggest bringing a camping chair along.
  Sunblock!  
If you forget yours, you can borrow some of mine... I don't tan, I bake like a potatoe. (Don't forget to put it on your neck). I wear a wide brimmed fishing hat and long sleeve T shirt in the pits.  Some of the folks bring "EZ-up" tents.  Befriend one of these people by admiring their motorcycle and offering them one of those cool beverage you bought at that gas station. Also, this is great time to try out that camping chair :)  

russtman

Need  money!!!!   WILL WORK FOR TRACK DAYS.

russtman

Or should I say , well done MULE TOE.   ;D ;D ;) :D 8) ::) :o

It's all in jest brother.   LOL

Talk at ya later.
Need  money!!!!   WILL WORK FOR TRACK DAYS.

Justin

JENX!!!

Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Team Gorgonzola

If you have extra parts and a good toolbox bring it along, especially pegs and brake/clutch levers. If you have a minor lowside you can still get back out and enjoy the day like nothing happened (trust me, I know ;)) I strongly suggest taping the light and the turn signals. Imagine having the guy in front putting on the brake light and/or blinkers, I think that would be distracting.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Justin

All the rear lights. taped. definitely. i'll change my post

Hank

I need some clarification.

I've got an '07 CBR 600RR.  Not worried about the rear lights, because they unplug with no hassle.  However, I can't unplug fuses for the front lights because the bike won't run without the light fuses.

Can I skip the taping of the front lights?  Can I run with my front lights on?  Shouldn't be a distraction since they're up front.

MotoPutz

I believe as long as the lens is plastic you don't have to tape your front lights, and only need to tape the rear if you haven't pulled your fuses.

Justin

Taping any of the front is optional on your bike.  I have the same machine in black.  :)

Justin

Also you can run with them on, with highbeams.  It's all good

A DRAGON

Yeah that's cool JZ. no can see you coming anyway. Back in the day they used to make you tape the front lights because they were glass. Now not so much. On my SV I just pull the fuses for the low beam then switch it on my controls to the low beam and shazzamm no lights.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

aruz

Silly question but in order to use the track what it is required to have? DMV license with motorcycle endorsement, a track permit or a track experience certification of some sort?

JeffW

Aruz, I think you are asking about using the RFR track outside of this trackday? If that's your question then I believe that you need a DMV license with motorcycle endorsement, and a track permit (or a racing license like one from the AFM). The track issues the track permit after you take a short riders school with them. I had a track permit at one time, but it was only good for one year.

Quote from: aruz on April 17, 2008, 12:15:21 PM
Silly question but in order to use the track what it is required to have? DMV license with motorcycle endorsement, a track permit or a track experience certification of some sort?

Adiggity

Quote from: aruz on April 17, 2008, 12:15:21 PM
Hey aruz, if you want you can call RFR with your questions. There is always someone there who answers the phone when I call. She doesn't always have the answer but she can find out and call you back.

Here is some info for that on their website.
http://reno-fernleyraceway.com/visitor_driver_info.php#road_course