Main Menu

Wonderings about the KZ 900

Started by cobra23, October 05, 2008, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra23

Ok lets see improvements / progress for this week.....well..ahhh

Ok I laid down 50 dollars for my share of a 200 dollar bottle of Scotch. Scotch I realize is not a direct improvement it is however a method of relaxing, meditating, focusing...ah yes.

We sit in chairs in front of my buddie Eds shop, we sip the scotch and discuss things like a Honda 90 for Bonneville, and how we can improve the KZ...then presstoe!!!

Magic happens.

Beside this weekend its off to Miller for the WSB, Thursday through Monday, see you all there.

D1NO

Ahhh... nothing like taking a sip and figuring out how to spend more money on our bikes... ;)

Have fun at Miller and takes lots of pics...

cobra23

Hey thanks Dino..

Miller was fabulous, i mean perfect, i mean ....dam check out this photo, Zemke invited me into his pit and actually taked to me, he said he wanted to ride at Fernley, he knew about it, thought he said Migel knew about it....

I MEAN DAAAAMMMM !!

I was so choked up I could hardly make a sentance!!!

How do you top that?

[attachment deleted by admin]

n10sive

woah! SCHWEEET! That would be way cool to go to RFR and see some of these guys ride it. I can only imagine what they would look like going into turn 1 *fantasy*

BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

cobra23

This weekend:

built a new front motor mount, yea busted the old one being stupid. Snap on Impact wrench+ 1 beer= Waaaaaay tooo much torque.

I got the front brakes all set up, and bled them. Boy did that take a while. Totally dry system, about 4-6 hours of patiently pulling fluid through the lines. But the brakes feel great.

Next ceramic coating for the header.

Ignition, Carbs.....TRACK time!!

cobra23

Hey!!! Hey hey!!

I cant up load photo's anymore?

How do i fix that?

cobra23

Ok third try..

no more photo's for me, I dunno how to fix that. I have been posting the progree on the KZ rider forum, so if your interested......

http://kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=116&func=view&catid=11&id=274097

This weeekend I finishe dputting the clutch together, Braided stainless oil lines, and a couple brackets to hold the lines in the perfect place.

Thanks for checking it out.

Ted

cobra23

Oh yes By the way...

If you find yourself  reading the whole bolg deelee, disregard any photos, ellegied facts or warped rumors about me crashing the scooter at Seattle (Pacific Raceway) and/or Spokane (Spokane raceway park).

These hiddious rumors are the work of two friends of mine in Wahington, who both have frequented the sight. ;D

The story may or may not be true, I will never admit to either.

cobra23

More progress has been made.

The Header is on it's way back from Performance Caotings in Seattle they ceramic coated it for me. 200 bucks.

Swingarm, i thought it was done, need to make another shock mount bracket.

take a look...

http://kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=116&func=view&catid=11&id=274097

cobra23

I really hit "the wall" this weekend.

I had to cover the bike, and just take some time away from it.

It is so dam close, Carbs. shock mounts, and a battery will basically get it on the track. Spent 400 buck son it in June.

July will be a dry month, as the "Budget Office" is "concerned" about over expenditures.

Yea.. so today I put a swamp cooler in the dog House, Huskies are not good at handling the heat. Yep covered it up ... yup hit the wall there. Yup.

cobra23

Ok recovering now....

If you are reading this and have a stretch of 630 O-ring chain....

I need a Mock up chain, could be all worn out. I just need to check chain clearance before I buy. The O ring is what I want, but if it does not clear everything, I will go with a non o ring.

Had thia all sorted out a couple years ago. Now I am double thinking again.

cobra23

http://www.goobike.com/cgi-bin/search/spread.cgi?8502005B30090411002+

Here you have a great internet sight from Japan, the ebay of Japan. Goobike.

Take a look at this example of old school custome KZ. Notice that at first glance the bike looks stock, but looking close reveals a complete custom package. This is what I am shooting for.

cobra23

Ok so I spent the weekend building the plate that now holds the CR 450 Brake caliper in the correct position. Check it out.

I think it is beautiful. However I cannot believe how difficult it was to get that little dirt bike brake on the rear end. Machined the rotor, machined new bushings, then fabricate the plate. put on, check fit, take off mill out another section, put on check fit..etc.etc. Now the line needs to be run to the master cylinder,and it will be complete (the brake that is).

Thanks for looking. Hoping you all had a great time on the swim ride today. ;D

cobra23

http://www.goobike.com/bike/stock_8501762B30090221005/

Ohhh ahhhhh........check this one out.

You have to be nuts not to appreciate the craftsmanship. This is why I am building the KZ.

I thought briefly when I started the project about building a Panhead Harley. Well how many custom Harleys do you see out there.....hmmmmmmm.