Main Menu

Wonderings about the KZ 900

Started by cobra23, October 05, 2008, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkygixxer

Quote from: cobra23 on August 16, 2010, 04:16:30 PM
Sometimes i wonder why I just don't "call it good".
Then you wouldn't be you.  LOL  little OCD man ;) ;D ;) 

If ever you do call it good, you are MORE THAN WELCOME to come by my garage and ...  ;D ;) ;D

cobra23

Ohhhhh......

CNC machining a brake bracket for the rear caliper tonight.......

Ohhhh....shiny metal......

Ohhh yeaaaahhhh!!!

cobra23

The rear brake caliper assembly is finished yes finished....

Total wt. 1.75 pounds.

BWAAAHhahhahahhahahhhhaaaaaaaaaa....ahhahahhaahahha....

Weigh one of the new fancy sport bike assemblies........

Many hours...many hours deep in the laborrrirtoryyyy....

BWAaahshahsahhhAAAAAAAAA!!

http://kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=116&func=view&catid=11&id=274097&limit=20&limitstart=360#397152

youngster775

all that hard work is unbelievable! good job!  :thumbup
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

A DRAGON

I see Terry is cheating.  His KZ is at 2wcp  :rant
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

I have a neighbor who every time he catches me pulling in or out of the garage on my 9R tells me of his KZ-900 days.  He's funny to listen to, especially after he's had a few.  His stories get bigger and bigger.  ....something about he and his buddies doing 160 MPH on theirs.  :drinking
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

Thanks guys!!

160MPH??

I had a highly modified 1982 Eddie Lawson Replica, Velasco built the engine. 85 MPH speedo. 33mm smoothbores, cams, ported head, 13 to 1 comp. hand made "Wolf" pipe. The thing bent the main motor mount bolt when you yanked it too hard. You had to run Race fuel all the time, so rides were short. Don't forget bias ply tires, and brakes which would fade if pressed hard.

Later on I bought a CBR 900, another Velasco engine it that. It probably had the same power, but ten times more civilized, and ran on pump gas.

If it did 160, and I was told it was radar gunned on the SIR (Pacific raceway) front straight. The thing is there aint no brakes or stiff frame at that speed. You probably do it once, and then have a long conversation with God.

The early KZ had a speedo error that was huge, your guy may have been in reality at 140-145, if he had the thing modified. It takes great horsepower to push an unfaired bike through the air at that kind of speed. But the stories are great!!! ;D

Thanks for the compliments!!

This bike will be about having fun on the track, goood brakes and suspension. The ELR I had was miserable to ride unless flat out, it was "cammed" up so much it would overheat, and cough in city traffic, I later tore it down and put stock equipment back in just to make it more fun to ride.

jlavallee

Yeah, the old KZ's were great bikes. My uncle Ken had an ELR and a KZ1000 LTD in Black with gold pinstriping. The black one was a 78 I think, I remember always being out in the garage drooling over it and the speedo went to 260 kph (about 160 mph) so naturally, I thought it could do that. Other uncles had CB's and stuff but my uncle on that black one with the black leathers and black/white Shoei lid was the vision of cool. Now days, I'd rather the ELR and classic green but back then that was the cheesy one.

Years later and after driving one I'd guess 135 is about the max if you have the guts. Not quite the beast I remembered being taken on rides on as a kid but memories are funny that way. Part of me would like to restore one someday. Keep up the nice work, I love the project!

cobra23

Ahh...the cool thing about changing jobs...the week "in between".

Gettting paid by the old job sitting at home.... the KZ sitting in the garage some time on my hands, maybe some progres to report by weekend.

cobra23

I got to have a beer with Terry Saturday night, checked out his KZ....

Ahh it is the cool. I give it a Bad Assness rating of 9.5 on a scale of 1-10.

cobra23

WOW!!

I am warching the Nascarilly (speed channel) today and Two guys Garage is on they are building the coolest CB 550 ahhhhh....too cool!!!

Take a look..

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/

cobra23

Ok the swingarm is completed, welds are blended, and the brake stay and bracket are done and now installed on the bike.

Things area ll caught up now, just waiting for some more money....

http://kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=116&func=view&catid=11&id=274097&limit=20&limitstart=380#401527

cobra23

Oh boy!!! :rant

A whole bunch of Bike money (isn't all money bike money) just got spent at the furniture store!!!

Yaaaayyyyyy!!!! :banana2

It's gonna be a dry month for bike purchases....