Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Fairing repair/paint

Started by live2ride, September 12, 2008, 06:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live2ride

Hey guys so I downed my gixxer today and was wondering where to see if i could get the fairing fixed and painted and some touch up paint.  Fairing looks somewhat repairable but i dont know. The person who made me crash is gonna pay for everything so I just wanted to get a good deal for him as he is paying out of hand and is a really nice guy(Thank god).  Its just cosmetic on the headlight fairing and rear tail fairing but the left side fairing is cracked in two places so I dont know if it can be fixed.  And where do you think I could get it painted to match oem specs.  I looked on ebay to see if anyone was selling a left oem fairing that was already painted but doesnt look like it.  Maybe ill just have to wait.  Any input would help.
Thanks guys,
Grant
I live life like the captain of a sinking ship

yzinger

what I did...was just waiting for ebay. I got my wing and my lower fairing brand new for 60 bucks (for both!) but having a new bike such as urs.. I would suggest just getting new ones....I understand the dude is a nice guy...but make sure your bike doesnt suffer because of it (thats my POV anyway...) cheers.

yzinger

oh ya, are you okay? not an after-thought, just hit post on accident. what happened?

live2ride

ya im fine just a couple bruises.  I think im just gonna wait for parts on ebay.  Has anyone heard anything about the fairing kits from Hong Kong?  I heard they are alright just need some modifications when put on but would like more info if anyone has some.  Thanks.

MotoPutz

Paint comes off easy (flaking and chipping), needs some mods to fit, not always molded quite right.

live2ride

is it worth for what 650 for the set or just go oem?

jlavallee

Well, the OEM bodywork is usually made of ABS and that can be plastic welded but it is time consuming and still requires some bodywork. These days with Ebay and forum sales I would say to get OEM on line.

I'd search the forums and see what the pieces usually go for then have the guy pay you the estimated price plus a 20% buffer just in case. If you look at the ron ayers website they will show OEM microfish pricing. Online can usually be had for 50% of this price give or take and that is pretty fair to all parties.

live2ride

ya i already checked ron ayers and those prices were all mostly under the estimate but nothing really on ebay yet, mostly all need just as much work as my parts.  What forums are you talking about?