Main Menu

Z2 endurance race report

Started by Yard Sale, August 25, 2008, 01:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yard Sale

Zoom Zoom/USGPRU Race Weekend August 23-24, 2008

Endurance (#794 Haggis & Swedish Meatballs)

I needed a break after the 250GP race so my partner Alan would start with the first stint on his SV650. He got a great start and ran consistent lap times.

After about 36 minutes it was my turn and I hopped on the SV I had ridden once before in a trackday session. The GSXR forks and brakes were familiar but everything else was foreign. It was a very easy-to-ride bike and I ended up turning faster times than my 250 I think.

Strangely, I was all alone for a long time. Then Jay Avansino (GSXR) went by me on the outside of the sunset straight. Trouble was, I was already on the outside, so he was almost in the dirt.

Then I caught Lisa Wallace (R6) and followed her for a long time. I was significantly faster in the final turn, railing around the outside, only to face the pit wall abutment in the braking showdown at turn one. Her R6 outpowered my SV and I never could muster the courage to stuff her. Vik Anderson's partner on an SV didn't lack the courage and went underneath both of us in the bowl. His front wheel went in the dirt and I took an evasive line to avoid Lisa's bike after it was taken out by his bike. But somehow his bike didn't crash. (How can you turn through the bowl with the front wheel in the dirt and not crash?)

The SV rider looked tired and was making some bad mistakes. I was hoping they'd call him in to pit. He overcooked turn one and went straight and as Lisa fixated on him, I passed her on the inside, gave a thumbs up and a woop. Next lap, I overcooked turn one and went straight. The SV and Lisa passed me. That sucked. Then I had to pit before I could re-pass them. That sucked.

Alan went out and hooked up with Vik. He had so much fun dicing it up SV vs. SV that he waved off the pit board and stayed out. I sat there in my leathers and helmet while the team said, "There he is, going around again" over and over. I said, "I'm taking a nap. Wake me when you need me to ride." They said, "Only six laps left, looks like you're not going to ride again." I was just about to take off my gear when Alan came in.

Woo-hoo, a six lap endurance stint! My left contact lens dried out so bad I thought it had come out. I closed my helmet vents and rode around with my eye closed, trying to lube the eye/lens. I would open the eye before braking, hoping for some binocular vision and depth perception. This went on for three tortuous laps. After the white flag, the corner workers had left their stations and were beside the track. After the checkered flag, they all were waving all their flags like F-1/MotoGP races. They had a long weekend in the sun and I showed them my appreciation on the cool-down lap.

weavefish

the camera was flaoting around so im sure pics will show up sooner or later.
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Resistor

Nice race reports!  I've got to make it out next time they do this.  Sounds like you guys had a blast.  I was stuck in Reno helping my wife setup her classroom for the first day of school.  Maybe next time Greg will be on the team.
2005 GSXR-600

Yard Sale

Nah, I think Alan's going to try to solo it by the looks of things.  :D

Yard Sale

Full set of endurance race (and superpole) pics from Joe (com3)...

http://www.4theriders.com/viewpics.php?loc=/pics/trackdays/2008/08.23.08-fernley/794/

Check out the pit stop action.

Resistor

Quote from: Yard Sale on August 27, 2008, 12:15:34 PM
Full set of endurance race (and superpole) pics from Joe (com3)...

http://www.4theriders.com/viewpics.php?loc=/pics/trackdays/2008/08.23.08-fernley/794/

Check out the pit stop action.
Looking good out there guys.
2005 GSXR-600

Adiggity

Nice report guys. So I'm a little confused.....did Lisa get taken out or not. You said her bike was taken out and then you said you were racing her again after that.....

Yard Sale

QuoteI took an evasive line to avoid Lisa's bike after it was taken out by his bike. But somehow his bike didn't crash. (How can you turn through the bowl with the front wheel in the dirt and not crash?)
I prepared for her to be taken out but she wasn't.

Adiggity

Ahh, I get it now. Good. Nice job guys.  :)

CptnHornblower

Your comments about the contact lenses was interesting; I've had the same problem. I bought some re-wetting solution I plan to use in the afternoons when it gets really hot and dry.
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.