Main Menu

2021 group rides

Started by dmh2000, March 28, 2021, 02:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmh2000

dave

GreenMachine

In small groups, probably okay.  Many of the riders I know are mid-stream on our vaccinations.  I'll have antibodies by May 1 and I'm planning some big rides, personally.

I know others have taken to the track to get their miles in safely.  Well, C-19-wise anyway.  Not so much on the idiots racing and crashing into them.  6-feet means 6 feet!!!  :spank
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RedLeader

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on April 11, 2021, 06:33:34 AM
Wow, the Gubment and TV are really pumpin' the fear it seems.

Vaccines? 

Here is the ex VP of Pfizer warning about the vaccines.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/mobile/news/exclusive-former-pfizer-vp-your-government-is-lying-to-you-in-a-way-that-could-lead-to-your-death

I used to work at Pfizer in Ann Arbor.  I won't be taking any vaccine.

Live Free, Ride Free.   :redbike

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time until this seeped into the local moto forms.

It appears the above article is related to something more recent, but Michael Yeadon has been pretty thoroughly debunked in the past.

Also, the title is pretty misleading, as he wasn't the VP of Pfizer or their Chief Scientist, but only headed a dept that focused on COPD and Ashma in 2011.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pfizer-chief-scientist-vaccines/

Related to another post he made in October 2020:
"In other words, regardless of who he is or where he once worked, Yeadon's argument that there is "no need for vaccines" relies on a series of assumptions that predicted the worst of the pandemic was behind us in October 2020. As that claim is self-evidently ridiculous, his conclusion on vaccines is entirely without merit.

"Viruses do not do waves," Yeadon wrote about two months before the second COVID-19 wave dwarfed anything the U.K had seen previously during the pandemic."

You do you, but I'm choosing to listen to the overwhelming consensus of the medical community and researchers. I received my vaccine in January and look forward to a time when people are able to resume some normalcy due to a high percentage of the population being immunized.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

RedLeader

I did mention the "overwhelming consensus of the medical community and researchers". One data point doesn't equate to a representative sample of the broader consensus for the field's vaccine research and public health. But as a person who has researched similar things, I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

I do agree with you on a few things. Vaccines don't prevent the virus or prevent you from being infected. They do lessen symptoms, reduce the overall time you might be sick, and reduce the chance you might end up in the hospital.

And that is a perfect point as to why we should still be wearing masks and be careful about if/when we gather in large crowds or travel after we are vaccinated. Even though our chances to get and transmit the disease are lower, they are still present and we should do our best to protect ourselves and those around us who are not vaccinated. I do not want to potentially get anyone else sick, and I take measures to reduce that risk as much as possible.

The rest of it, well...

To get back to the original topic of this thread, looking forward to some smaller rides this year.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

Sub-Sonic

Provide personal qualifications as an SME = "Datapoint"  Seems highly dehumanizing.

Provide facts = Opinions.

We'll never meet up, I ride at a 'slightly' different pace.  :laughing

GreenMachine

Quote from: dmh2000 on March 28, 2021, 02:19:55 PM
Are they happening?

Typical season rides start the first weekend in May.  Right now, everything is kinda by ear. 

We're riding today, just a group of three of us.  Some others are getting some camping in on their own. 

I'm fully vaccinated now.  It's the first immunization that I know of that can make you sick, then when you recover, it's like it never happened.   :laughing  Wait, what as that just a few hours ago?  It also doesn't cause you to cough, not even once.  Nor cause any sort of nose drip; completely normal dry.

For those getting Moderna #2, I'll give you a brief what happened to me.   Far less soreness in my shoulder than the first and the first wasn't that bad for me.  I had no reaction to the first.  The second was the same for about 10 hours.   Went to bed early anticipating what others talked about being knocked off their feet.  Was achy and feeling ill for about 3 hours during the night.  Thought it broke, so went to work the next morning, a few hours later.  I jumped the gun.  I should have stayed home.  Not bad, but I wasn't helping matters by not looking after myself.  Cut the workday short, and spent the next nine hours in bed sweating it out.  Hands, feet, and ears were burning up.  All in all about 20 hours of not feeling well.  Got a normal night sleep, woke up the next morning like nothing happened.   :o

Not easy, but it feels so good to be on the other side of this.  In a couple weeks I'll be like many other SSA members I know, who are fully vaccinated too.  For the time being, probably best if we keep group rides to those who are only fully vaccinated or rides to those who aren't.  I'll have antibodies by ~ May 1, so in time for any real group rides.  Might even not bring a sack lunch too! 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

Awesome! I get Pfizer shot #2 tomorrow.  I had no side effects from the first one, but I've heard there can be mild effects from shot 2; we'll see.

From what I've heard, Laguna Seces MotoAmerica is still on, so we renewed all of our spots. Here's hoping we can maintain the current covid trajectory in the U.S. and have a riding season! 👍

GreenMachine

RR, I heard that too.  Sign me up too.  Can I lease one of your extra spots?  I'm so ready to ride PCH again.

RenoRider75

GreenMachine

Looks like July 9 - 11th.  I suppose the same as before, reimburse you for the RV spot and buy the three day general admission.

Cool!  So looking forward to doing this.

RenoRider75

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 18, 2021, 10:52:42 AM
For those getting Moderna #2, I'll give you a brief what happened to me.   Far less soreness in my shoulder than the first and the first wasn't that bad for me.  I had no reaction to the first.  The second was the same for about 10 hours.   Went to bed early anticipating what others talked about being knocked off their feet.  Was achy and feeling ill for about 3 hours during the night.  Thought it broke, so went to work the next morning, a few hours later.  I jumped the gun.  I should have stayed home.  Not bad, but I wasn't helping matters by not looking after myself.  Cut the workday short, and spent the next nine hours in bed sweating it out.  Hands, feet, and ears were burning up.  All in all about 20 hours of not feeling well.  Got a normal night sleep, woke up the next morning like nothing happened.   :o

Not easy, but it feels so good to be on the other side of this.  In a couple weeks I'll be like many other SSA members I know, who are fully vaccinated too.  For the time being, probably best if we keep group rides to those who are only fully vaccinated or rides to those who aren't.  I'll have antibodies by ~ May 1, so in time for any real group rides.  Might even not bring a sack lunch too!
That's one of the best near death experience descriptions I've read in a while.  The only thing missing was the light at the end of the tunnel.
You guys could have just asked me last year what the protocol was to avoid all this pain and suffering.  It is documented on my TWTR.
Quote from: GreenMachine on April 18, 2021, 10:52:42 AM

For the time being, probably best if we keep group rides to those who are only fully vaccinated or rides to those who aren't. 

Any actual science for this or just fear based MSM fake news meant to control your behavior?