Main Menu

Our mountain pass roads are steeper than I ever imagined.

Started by GreenMachine, July 19, 2020, 06:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I drove Monitor Pass in my 4-door sedan today just for a change of pace, plus I was going to video record it for my own personal consumption.  Everything looks shorter and taller, but no wonder we see cars going so slowly.  It's not safe for them and the road is so steep it takes a lot of power to overcome gravity.

I've driven a few of our other roads in the past and didn't come away as awestruck as I was today.

I came away from the experience with a huge appreciation for how casually and easily we ride these roads.  Because when you're in a car trying to speed up to something resembling a spirited pace, you feel like you're doing alright until you look at the speedo.   :spank

No motorcycles passed me today, simply because there were few, if any, motorcycles out riding today, just Harleys.   I was so hoping I'd get passed by some fast moving sportsbikes from Sacramento or the Bay Area, but I got skunked.  Stopped along the way a couple of times and made a full lap of it.  Nada.  Did everyone decide to drive today too?

Even took a detour through VC and nada, had the road all to myself.  I even passed a HD leaving VC! 

Good for all those sheltering in place! Stay safe.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

A DRAGON

That's just to funny.  I've never looked at them like that.    :rotflmao :rotflmao
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

A DRAGON

OMG.  Thank you for that G Machine.  I knew 22slow's 790 was a real Gem.  This guy only proves it.  What a long incline.  Kinda like us doing the Leggett run.  Or Mad River.  They just go on and on and on.  So lucky to be able to control a motorcycle as well as we do.  To bad we gotta get old.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Vegasrider