Main Menu

Helmet and Go Pro Mounts

Started by renowingnut, May 25, 2020, 12:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renowingnut

I know that everyone has their preference on helmets. The Shoei I have is pretty noisy with wind, even with ear plugs in. It's a snug fit, so it fits correctly. I like the Shoei since it has deep ear pockets for say a Cardo intercom system, but just sucks with noise. I have a Scorpion helmet, the ear pockets are pretty shallow for the Cardo system. Cardo doesn't make the thin speakers anymore, they said that there wasn't enough demand and ceased production of the 32mm speakers. So out of curiosity, wondering what helmets riders have found that tend to help cut down on the wind/road noise.

And since car and truck drivers around here are driving inept these days, looking at riding with my Go Pro for documentation purposes along with just cool video. Wondering what mounts you have found effective. Also looking at a Ram or Quad lock mount for the phone, but have read that Quad lock is not all cracked up to be. I know it's a matter of preference, just curious to see what riders have used and found effective... 

GreenMachine

I'll start with the phone mount.  I'd never do that.  There's just too much shaking and vibration to entrust up to a $1,000 electronic device to be held securely, that if it ever got out was 99.9% certain to crack/get obliterated on a hard surface.  Yes, it's convenient and has many uses while turned on, but for me, it ain't worth it.  Stow it away inside the bike, your jacket, or in a padded carrying bag.

GoPro mounts for accident protection?  In dash or on helmet would be preferable, I'd imagine.  They make record looping crash cams now for cheap.  Might be a less theft-risk option that you could just permanently mount to the bike.

My understanding of helmet wind noise has to do with turbulence below the ear cavity.  I agree, my Shoei, an RF900, was just awful for wind noise.  Have read the reviews that the higher RF series helmets were suppose to be better, but heard the opposite from actual owners; still bad.  I have several EXO helmets which are much quieter.  Surprisingly, the newer more expensive ones with the wind-buffet sleeve are actually worse for noise than the older ones.

One cure-all for us earplug users, spit lube the earplug before inserting.  Something about the moisture that makes them seal better than dry.  Watch just about any motorcycle pre-race show and you'll see the rider's technique doing this.  Who knew?

Then you'll love your Shoei again, except for the times when the earplug saliva seal breaks and one ear gets pummeled by noise while the other is perfectly quiet.  :o
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

renowingnut

coolio, Thanks Green Machine. Yea the R6 offers little space to store anything so been packing a backpack and kept the phone in there. I'll go digging around for GoPro mounts. Last thing I want is some cheap ass mount and tumble thrash bang there goes the Go Pro. And the helmets, hum, the EXO helmets are good, which I like the one I have but man the ear cavities just suck for a Cardo system. I do find it quieter than the Shoei...the Shoei just sounds like a freakin tornado when riding. Time to do more research and see if the EXO offer a better ear cavity area. Ill try the spit lube technique on the next ride...whenever that is...and see.

RedLeader

Get a tank bag (for the phone). I resisted for a long time as I thought they looked silly and would get in the way. Now the tank bag pretty much lives on the bike. Much better than a backpack or Camelbak. Many of the tank bags even have straps which turn it into a backpack of sorts for when your walking around off the bike. Also look for one with can take a hydration bladder. Much nicer.

Another thing to worry about when having a phone mounted is that the sun might be beating down on the screen/phone making it VERY hot. It's not as shaded on the bike as it is in your car.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

PAPASMURF

ref ear plugs

try the spit lube + open your mouth like you are yawning, keep it open for 5-10 secs. it will also help with seating.

works for me anyway, read about it somewhere, it was about car racers and what they did. seems to work.

:blackbike
S1000R
R1250RS

renowingnut

awesome Papasmurf...I will give it a try...makes logical sense...

renowingnut

cool deal RedLeader...what's different is the R6 tank is non-metallic versus say the R1. So, so much for the tank bag a buddy of mine gave me....LOL. I'll find some tank bags that work with the R6 and give it a try.

Vegasrider

I have a Drift Ghost XL camera mounted on the side of my helmet. Loop recording with a battery charge for up to nine hours. A simple press of the on and off button and the video records. Not too big, but its also not tiny. Avg size.