Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

New User! Wassup Reno!

Started by jimjoe, May 19, 2020, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimjoe

Hello all, latest user JimJoe here - 10|20 is Sparks.

Where can we crack open the throttle? is there a Track near by? Lonesome highways? Good spots to practice wheelies?  :P

Best,
Jim

RedLeader

There is a track out in Fernley (Reno Fernley Raceway). Its been closed for a few years. There are rumblings about it opening again, but I'm not holding my breath. The next closest track is Thunderhill Raceway north of Sacramento. Lots of great trackdays out there. There are a few people who attend these trackdays on the form if you are interested in hitching a ride or pitting with them.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

GreenMachine

I can't wheelie, but I've tried with my dirt bike in the past.  No restrictions there. 

Nevada has a lot of lonesome highways, but none that I can categorize as a place to go or where we go.  Many years ago I roomed with a gentleman that would take ride groups out beyond Pyramid for WOT stuff.  I always thought he was crazy, but never had the opportunity to ride with him.  And now with the increased development of areas along that highway, I'd imagine that the lonely stretches are further north.

If Fernley Raceway could get a loyal following for trackdays, one they could model a profitable future from, I think there might be an investor who would shell out the coin for doing that.  It's been difficult though for them to do that, whereas Thunderhill has people lining up it seems like every day of the week to use their track.  Many of us have ridden T-hill and would recommend it, not only because it's an excellent track and well organized, but also from the safety and legal expense perspective, it's the far better choice for discovering what it feels like to pin the throttle of your bike.

There is another group of riders in town that plays by another set of rules.  You'll hear them literally racing along McCarran once or twice a week.  I think it was the same group, but I could be wrong, who would stunt on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings behind the airport off of Longley and McCarran.  RPD did a sweep of that several times.  Don't know what the outcome was.  They were just wheeling and doing burnouts, but I haven't heard anything more about it on the news since.  That was several years ago.  But I'm quite sure that group still gets together regularly or did before Covid-19.  If that sounds up your alley, swing by PJ's on Wells (again if they're open on Wednesdays).  They have a bike night and that group of riders would often congregate there before heading out on an evening ride.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.