Main Menu

I Just Don't Get It- Bikes And Jeans

Started by renowingnut, May 16, 2020, 11:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renowingnut

So today was an awesome day to go riding before Mother Nature decides to shack up with Old Man Winter.  :wtf When I was out riding today through Carson City, Minden, Topaz, Monitor Pass, Markleeville and Genoa, I was just amazed how many bikers were out riding in tank tops, shorts, flip flops and the sort. WTF? I would rather have my leathers kiss the asphalt than my skin becoming dog meat if there was an issue based on the way people drive these days, it's no wonder why I leather up from top to bottom. Saw a lot of bikes on Monitor Pass and would say half of them were in shirts and bare hands on the handlebars....SMH. Then I come across Green Machine and Company  :flagSSA at the base of 89/395 and they are all in full gear...rightfully so!

Either way, it was a great day to get out and ride. Weather early next week will be a :biatch!

GreenMachine

I often wonder the same thing, RWN.  On the rare occasions where I can be spotted riding my bike with bluejeans, like on previous bike nights, I feel literally naked.  You might as well be for the protection and armor bluejeans would offer in an accident situation. Been there and seen others who've been there.  Sometimes you get lucky, but more often than not, it's a mess.

Then there's the other side of having proper riding gear, the armor to protect your calves while cornering, which slows me down.  Without such armor I'd have to corner at using more lean angle (and usually riding faster) and that makes me uncomfortable.  It's a double whammy, going faster and less protected.

Glad to hear you're out enjoying the nice weather while it lasted.  Should we be self-isolating for two weeks simply because we crossed the state line?  We didn't mix with anyone, not even ourselves.  The guidelines say two weeks for such circumstances, but I want to believe that's if we are in contact with people, places, and things in that other state.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

renowingnut

Did Monitor Pass with a buddy and his wife again Sunday and geez...what did I see...bikers with shorts on headed over the pass...that's just crazy. And the tank tops...hope they had sunblock on.

RenoRider75

I almost always wear blue jeans on the bike.  The difference is that I wear good ones with Kevlar lining and under armor.  For serious speed like a track day I'll wear leathers but for normal riding the jeans are good.

I had an unfortunate crash on the Spaghetti Bowl, hit the ground at around 60mph while wearing the jeans.  My only injury was to my heart - it was broken seeing my poor bike wrecked.

With the great options for gear that exist these days there's really no excuse.  You can be ATGATT and still be comfortable in almost any weather while still "looking cool". 😂 I like the jeans just because they're comfortable for walking around when I'm off the bike.

renowingnut

I totally get it...proper blue jeans with Kevlar...but generic old jeans with holes in them tell me that yea those are just the random ol' jeans. Could not believe how many riders I saw yesterday in tank tops or just a vest on depending on the gender. But hey, no sweat off my back should they get into an issue, I'm not the one having to deal with road rash or embedded glass or debris....  :headscratch

Vegasrider

With the exception of wearing a D.O.T. helmet and eye protection, the great state of Nevada has left the rest of what to wear as our choice. As long as the rider is aware of the risks and consequences, it's their body. In my opinion, not wearing full gear when riding is a very poor decision. Make poor decisions, get poor results. Its as simple as that. Riding a motorcycle is easy, you just need to make the right decisions!

renowingnut

Road Monitor Pass today with a buddy and again...same thing...some people in textile armor or at least pant leathers and textile jacket but a majority of riders in tank tops or vests with no shirts riding over the pass. And a TON of cars not able to maintain their lanes or RVs pulling out in front of us...Oh well..that's why I dress for the slide not for the ride with full on leathers...it was toasty but road rash is even toastier that has a long lingering unsatisfactory feeling.  :sharktank