Main Menu

Nevada set to partially re-open at 12:01 AM on 05/09/20

Started by GreenMachine, May 07, 2020, 04:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

:egyptian

Just one rider's view about the Saturday re-opening of Nevada...

A word of caution.  The re-opening is due to the success of the measures we've all sacrificed at to flatten the cases curve.  It doesn't mean everything returns to normal.  Normal is a selective thing nowadays. 

For more, please skim (read) the press release on RGJ or other news source. 

From what I gather, bars will continue to remain closed for on-premise alcohol consumption, but restaurants and other establishments will re-open following reasonable social distancing guidelines.  A list is within the link above.

What does this mean for street riding?  It means you're more likely to find services available in case you need or want them, but that Covid-19 is still out there, as highly contagious as ever.  You can still be infected/re-infected...you may become permanently disabled or die, as well as, the people who've you've come into contact with.  An analogy to "re-opening" is that, while you may think or want to believe the pandemic is over, the reality is the lifting of lock-down restrictions has more to do with ICU hospital bed vacancies.  If you're not careful, you may be checking in to one near you.

Group rides: please respect other riders by giving them space, both on and off the bike.  Carry on your conversations at a distance.  Carry hand sanitizer, because you're bound to touch something, like a fuel dispenser that was touched by 10,000 other people between cleanings.  The usual social distancing kind of thing we're doing now. 

For the time being, I will not be leading any group rides. That's my decision alone.  You're welcome to do whatever you and other riders feel.  I don't want to discourage anyone from some normalcy.  I won't be putting together a 2020 ride schedule as I've done for many years either.  The ride routes haven't changed.  By all means, look over ride routes from prior years and enjoy.  Putting together a formal schedule implies normalcy and routine, both of which, I think, aren't there yet.

Lastly, Covid-19 is about as close to my doorstep as I am comfortable with without having personally dealt with it.  I first thought it was no more deadly than seasonal Flu, until the numbers kept piling up, then there were the mass graves and now a case from a week ago that hit home.  A nursing home that is within a stone's throw, literally, of my aging mother's house had a recent bout with the disease.  9 dead, 109 infected in one small building.  I don't recall ever coming down with the flu and passing it onto that many people; family, co-workers, friends, neighbors, etc..., with such devastating repercussions.   And the flu is still out there too, doing its thing.  We have to deal with this new disease on top of all the other crap that's out there!

I think if we're smart and lucky, someday things will return to normal for some.  For now, let's keep trying hard to do what's best for our friends and family, neighbors, etc...   :lucky

Be safe.  Carry on.   :grnbike
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

When it comes to riding:

1) You can be sure that prior to my riding I will have limited my contact with others.
2) That if there is even a remote possibility that I may have come in contact with someone who is infected, I'll stay home.
3) If I feel there is even a slight possibility that I don't feel well, I'll stay home.
4) If you see me out riding and socializing, I WILL NOT approach you closer than 6 feet.
5) I will never touch you or your clothing or your bike and will make every effort to be sure we don't touch common items.
6) In other words, I will not take a cavalier attitude towards your personal space and personal safety.
7) When riding with you I will follow at a reasonable distance, b/c what is a safe social distance between motorcycles?

Off the top of my head.   :laughing
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Some will have the good fortune of finding eateries open along their route, but that's no longer a given.  Riders should plan ahead more than usual during this crisis. 

Generally, it's a good idea to bring fresh drinking water with you no matter what.  But now too, bring a sack lunch on every ride.  Doing so will further limit who and where you come into contact with others.  And besides, how cool is it to find a shady picnic spot along a river and take in the great outdoors!

GreenMachine

I don't know how ignorant or arrogant you have to be, but we have a policy at work repeated often, that if you feel sick or are sick, stay home. 

This whole week we have had several people who've ignored that policy and come to work coughing anyway, apparently to save their PTO for other things, screw everyone around them.  >:(  One of them said their doctor says she wants her tested for Covid-19, which means she qualifies for having symptoms.   She's not a high ranking politician or a celebrity, so she can't just get tested whenever she wants, she has to meet certain criteria.  I was within 6' of her for about a minute today.

:hbang

Fingers crossed it's hay fever that just appears Covid-like. 

Regardless, this means I cannot ride with any of you for two weeks.

GreenMachine

QuoteTravel Updates: COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Travel restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic still allow travel in California...

Roam Responsibly. I will explore California thoughtfully and responsibly, maintaining the utmost respect for everyone and everything I encounter.

Safety First. I will follow public health directives from government officials, including physical distancing measures. I will take all necessary steps to minimize health risks to myself and others and stay home if I'm sick.
VisitCalifornia.com

Basically common sense stuff.  Keep safe distances, don't break CV-19 restrictions, and enjoy visiting California as you would otherwise.  I think that's encouraging.

RenoRider75

Thanks for all the info, GM!  This has been a really weird and crappy year for riding.  I've mostly limited my rides to VC and back since I live right at the bottom of Geiger.  I've been fortunate to be able to work from home through all of this, but that's made me want to get out there and ride more than ever.  I've been social distancing just to make sure I don't get sick - with a wife, 5 kids, and 5 dogs in the house I have lots of close contact people to spread it to if I catch covid.

I hear that the first vaccine trial from Pfizer is going well and that unlike traditional vaccines it's quick to manufacture.  Here's hoping to a great 2021 riding season!

GreenMachine

Smart there RR!  The virus only has to get conditions right once and you're screwed.  Better to play it safe and hopefully avoid this thing altogether.  That's my plan anyway.

So far, so good.   :laughing :o :|)

Vegasrider

I've been back to teaching motorcycle safety since mid June for both the community colleges and for the state. A few curriculum changes in the classroom and constant disinfecting of the classroom and motorcycles. No sharing of anything and a mask is a must while indoors. 6' distancing a must.

GreenMachine

November 2020 update.  With COVID well in its third wave and only state guidelines and restrictions in place, check with the state's requirements before heading across state lines, as the situation may change on a daily basis.

Nevada governor is recommending that if you do not need leave home, then don't.  Sounds crappy, but it's better than shelter-in-place! 

As motorcyclists, we cherish our two-wheeled excursions.  Take extra precautions now more than ever.  Keep hand sanitizer and drinking water on your bike and if you plan on riding for many hours, pack food to take along.  Anything you can do to reduce the risk of interacting with others would be wise.

This thing loves us all.  The sooner we stop spreading its love, the sooner I get to doing more important things, like not having to write boring 'be careful' posts.