Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Indian Summer

Started by renowingnut, January 27, 2020, 09:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renowingnut

With Saturday and Sunday expected to be near 66 degrees, has anyone been towards Downieville recently? The last couple of weekends have been insane for riding which is just crazy being able to ride in January.

GreenMachine

I generally avoid Downieville via Yuba until they clean the sand off Yuba Summit.  It's not even fun to ride. 

However, I do make a point of riding in that general direction via Colfax (see SSA Foothills Ride).

Funny you mention going that way.  I was thinking of doing that ride last Saturday, but decided against it due to the nice pocket of weather we had here.

I'll definitely be riding this weekend, but probably not starting until around noon.  I go hawk hunting on Saturday mornings and the season's almost over.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

Hawk hunting?!  Poor hawks, they don't deserve to be hunted.   :laughing

Kidding aside, I looked at a ZX6 this week.  That bike fits like a glove, I love it.  I've got a test ride scheduled for this weekend and then it's just a matter of finding Sara a job so I can buy it without stretching our budget paper thin.  :)  I cannot wait to get some riding in this year!

GreenMachine

Not the best word usage, but I'm not sure I can actually say 'practicing Falconry,' because I'm not licensed for that and making up the proper description is like this long diatribe of blah.   :laughing

RR, is the test ride this weekend?  Give it a proper thrashing.  A 636 set up a little on 'the street' should be a better fit for the direction of your riding experience/education.   ;D

I'm ready to ride if anyone is looking for ride company.  It would be nice to try Yuba.  I'm just not crazy about tip-toeing over.

What's the plan?  Is there a plan?  BTW, I took the bike out the other night and my hand warmers were barely up to the task.  Hoping for sunlight to make up the difference.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

FYI, my plan is to head west some time before noon on Saturday. No destination other than seeking out Sun and scenery.

Sacramento: Fri 66*, Sat 63*, Sun 55*
Truckee: Fri 54*, Sat 58*, Sun snow.

RenoRider75

Yep, 636 is awesome.  Test ride was awesome.  I love the bike, now I just need to figure out how to work the money into our budget.

Have fun on the ride!  It's supposed to be beautiful tomorrow, just windy toward the end of the day.

PAPASMURF

going for a ride with mama-san sat. will be on the new bike(r1250rs) has that new shift cam motor.

got it around the first of sep and have 4k miles so far. she wants to go to bridgeport via nv338.

doesn't appear to be closed from snow or anything, i guess we will go there if her ass will let her. lol,

i think the last time she was on was in oct going to downieville to 20 and back 80, so tally f---ing ho

and all that rot.
S1000R
R1250RS

GreenMachine

Kool.  Hadn't thought of staying in Nevada for a ride.  Was hoping for some more humidity to increase the feel of the daytime high temps, stopping some place sunny and just soaking it all in.

It's confirmed.  I won't be riding until before noon.  Got to get my fix of chasing after wascawee wabbits!

RR75, looking forward to when that day comes.   :clap

GreenMachine

Papa, I think I had you beat on weather.  It felt like it was in the 70s over in Cali.  290.9 glorious miles.

How was your ride with the Mrs?

PAPASMURF

LOL

by the time we hit dayton her bottom was hurting so we went back home and dropped her off

i ended up with 178 for the day. better than nothing. truck route was perfect for many many

passes up and down. had a nice day. too bad sun is supposed to be so bad. was 70 something here.

:bluebike
S1000R
R1250RS

renowingnut

SO actually had a chance to get out this weekend....Saturday was Pyramid Lake and Sunday was Lahontan with the R6. 59 degrees this morning and now its 38 and snowing lightly...WTH is up with this whacky weather....? It's one of those seasons where I didn't put the bike up on stands since every couple of weeks, I am able to dig the bike out and roll...versus being put up for a couple months like a normal winter...but I'll take it....