Main Menu

No more Laguna Seca :( (SSA Emergency Meeting)

Started by RenoRider75, November 21, 2019, 09:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenoRider75

The Monterey County Board of Supervisors took control of the Laguna Seca track away from SCRAMP and gave it to a new manager who has zero interest in or experience with motorsports.

World Superbike will not be coming this year, and it sounds like MotoAmerica hasn't signed on for a race weekend there either.

What a bummer.  That was one of my favorite events of the summer.

GreenMachine

Mine too.

We should make it a point to go camping either there or somewhere on the coast anyway as a permanent fixture of a summer time SSA event.  Ride the coast, stop at microbreweries, seek out twisty roads, and do it as a group.

If we don't tell our employers that WSBK/MotoGP has been cancelled, they can't deny us our once a year release to do such events.  Eh?!   :laughing

"Yeah, its that weekend again where we go watch motorcycle racing at the coast.  Gonna take Thursday and Friday off, as usual."  :banana2 :nana2
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Totally last minute, but we're going to meet at Great Basin at noon today, but only after having two beers.  Then we can go over our summer 2020 options.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

It's unanimous, SSA is going to have an alternative to WSBK weekend planned around the end of June thru mid-July time period, TBD. 

All agreed that the event would center around camping at a coastal location where we could ride by day and find a microbrewery by night and that barbecuing while watching MotoGP would put icing on the cake for such an event.

So figure on up to four days, just like WSBK/MotoGP Laguna Seca race weekend, only on our own terms and that racing will still be included (Wi-Fi willing).   :laughing ;D

GreenMachine

Here are some of our meeting minutes.

Minutes, 0 - 10.

GreenMachine

Come to think of it, our minutes look surprisingly like RenoRider75's avatar.

|

RenoRider75

Oh dang!  Sorry I didn't see this in time.  :(  I've been super busy getting ready to move over to a new job with Aristocrat.  They're also in South Reno so my commute doesn't change much but it will be a lot less stress.  :D

Glad to see the meeting minutes; that's a good meeting right there.

I agree that some kind of summer fixture camping would be great!  Hopefully MotoAmerica can confirm Laguna Seca so we still have a race weekend.  If we keep going maybe WSBK will come back.  :P

GreenMachine

Late notice, but we had more members who participated in our second crisis emergency meeting last night.  I'm not going to give the full meeting minutes, simply because I did them in my head and they're a bit fuzzy after last night, but we're on for doing a Summer trip to the coast, as a group.  The weekend thus far appears to be July 11 - 12, which coincides with the Finish (Finland) MotoGP event.  We will have a small capacity viewing area for watching the entire weekend's racing activities.  However, the main focus of the weekend will be riding hwy 1 and getting close to nature, both in the redwoods and at the ocean.

PM A Dragon if you'd like a recap of yesterday's emergency meeting, since he's calling his own again tonight.

kenpokev

Howdy Riders,
As you likely know by now, Laguna will host the MotoAmerica series July 10-12. I plan to attend some earlier events and will report back as to how the track is being run. Sadly, I don't have high expectations however I plan to attend regardless. Should any of you plan to attend, please ping me for some local activities.
Enjoy a little winter thaw riding but beware of sand & gravel. Ride safe!
Kevin
Aprilia RST-1000
+ Other Garage Buddies

RenoRider75

Renewals for the camp sites and tickets were mailed out yesterday.  Sara and I are going to try to snag some good spots this year, hopefully we can get them now and then have them just in case WorldSBK or (really dreaming here) MotoGP ever makes a return to the event.  :)

RenoRider75

Quote from: kenpokev on January 04, 2020, 11:51:43 AM
Howdy Riders,
As you likely know by now, Laguna will host the MotoAmerica series July 10-12. I plan to attend some earlier events and will report back as to how the track is being run. Sadly, I don't have high expectations however I plan to attend regardless. Should any of you plan to attend, please ping me for some local activities.
Enjoy a little winter thaw riding but beware of sand & gravel. Ride safe!
Kevin
I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!  SCRAMP's volunteers did a great job of organizing the events, so hopefully the new management company isn't a complete cluster.  I guess we'll see, but there is a bunch of track maintenance scheduled this year so it makes me feel a little better that the new manager is not going to just tear the place down.  It might do some good for the venue if he builds a hotel on the land, but we'll see.

Have fun at the events!  Even if the management company sucks it's still a fun track to ride.

GreenMachine

Good thing I saw this.  July 10 - 12, is the same weekend we'd planned on going to the north coast as a group.  But if we have some actual racing to see, touch, and smell, even better!  That's also the introductory Finish (sp?) MotoGP race weekend.  So if we go to Laguna Seca, we'll need wi-fi to watch that too.

Great news.  Complicated, but great news!

GreenMachine

Since MotoAmerica is tentatively set to participate at Laguna Seca on July 10 - 12, 2020, that seems to be the new destination for the group. 

For now, enjoy the off-season and try not to slip on any ice.   :laughing