Main Menu

The Reno Fernley Raceway is Re-Opening?!

Started by RenoRider75, May 01, 2019, 09:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenoRider75

I just heard from a co-worker of mine who likes to do track days in his Mustang that RFR's paved portion is re-opening!  He had heard that there are plans to repave the entire thing.  After looking up this news, I cannot tell you how excited I am:

http://www.nvracingnews.com/2019/03/18/off-road-and-motorsports-expo/

QuoteThen he gave some breaking news regarding the road course that is right beside the Speedway's oval.

"Dan Shore, a good friend of mine and we've been working on this for a long time, did the paper work Friday night for the purchase of the pavement track," Simpson said. "That will be finalized before this month is out and we're going to allow drifters to run there on April 13th. So that will be the first pavement for over three years."

RedLeader

I think this would be amazing. Maybe with the growing population we can support it again with bigger money races/events. To bring in some organizations like AFM and others they would need to add more infrastructure than a few porta potties and a temporary building. I would imagine they would not be paving the entire 4+ miles of previously paved track, but are focusing on a smaller shorter track surface. Maybe some configuration with 2-3 miles of actual track and only one main configuration.
Exciting, but Im not holding my breath.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RenoRider75

It's confirmed!  They are repaving 2.5 miles of the track, fixing the drainage issues that plagued the track previously, and plan to have a ton of car and bike events there.  Friday night drags, track days, all kinds of fun.  I can't wait!

They plan to have everything complete by August.  These guys are dumping some crazy cash into the place, I'm definitely looking forward to doing a TON of track days when it opens.

In the picture of the track, the dark area is what they are planning to pave.

RedLeader

I was just coming to post this update as well. Excited to see the progress. Not as excited about the configuration they are paving. If I remember, the downhill section has a gnarly wall right at the run off. Hopefully this is fixed. They could also have the top section and run the old H configuration pretty easily as well.
Either way, I'm excited and plan to at least try a few track days there once it's open.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

dub

I saw that on FB too.

I always wanted to try that configuration. That downhill right-hander looks fun. I don't care about some dangerous wall. Sears Point is full of dangerous walls. Just don't hit it and it's not a problem.

RenoRider75

QuoteJust don't hit it and it's not a problem.

;D  That's sort of like the old skydiving quote.  "You don't need a parachute to go skydiving.  You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice."

GreenMachine

I've never ridden that course, but very similar to the H-layout.  There's the appearance that they may be opening it up for three configurations, the main one you see here and the two smaller ones that can be made from it.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RedLeader

It is very similar to H course. Instead of going down the "spine" you just drop down the hill and head to the bowl.
The one think I never likes about H were the transitions on and off the spine (especially off). Coming off was a weird off camber and different pavement surfaces with some weird bumps. The repave would fix that but, Ill take what I can get.
I believe the car guys used to run this configuration more. Looking at the old maps its "F Configuration"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oMfA2qheCW0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dub

Nice find on that vid. I think that course looks super fun. Would be dreamy with fresh pavement. Excited to see if this actually happens and where it leads. I wonder if we could get Carters and Z2 back there doing track days again.

RedLeader

9b into the downhill "the slide" looks tight. Hopefully they will be doing a bit of work rounding out some of those top corners to make it a little bit more manageable.

Quote from: dub on May 31, 2019, 11:07:10 AM
I wonder if we could get Carters and Z2 back there doing track days again.

If only we knew people that worked for Carters and PTT that could do some convincing...