Main Menu

Downieville/Gold Lake

Started by renowingnut, June 02, 2019, 05:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renowingnut

Had an awesome ride to Downieville today, the river is freaking hauling ass right now. The gas station in Downieville is still out of order, nearest city was Sierra City. The Gold Lake Loop is still closed, eight miles past the turn off... off 49. Had rain going and leaving Downieville, debris on the roadway in several spots and still some snow at the summit. A few other bikes in the area but the town was pretty quiet for the most part.

RenoRider75

Still snow up there...   What a year!

Thanks for the ride report, glad you survived the road debris gremlins.  :)

GreenMachine

One of these days I want to hike up to the falls there along Gold Lake loop.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

renowingnut

Probably be pretty awesome to see...saw several waterfalls on 49 on the way to Downieville...the shop at the Gold Lake Loop turnoff said maybe July is when Caltrans is thinking...but Mother Nature may have another idea...sooner if these temps stay high. Gold Lake will probably be freakin awesome to see this year. Was thinking Monitor Pass in the next few weeks, I know it was open for a while, then we had the cold spell and closed it, anyone recently been up to Monitor Pass?

GreenMachine

I rode it several weeks ago and Dragon and a couple others rode it mid-week this week.  It's ready to rock and roll.  There roads were just a little dirty, but we could only detect a slide crossing lanes aggressively and visually looking at the rider's tires in front of you.  Otherwise, grip was good even with that...no dangerous areas or curves.

Why not come out with us in Sunday?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

renowingnut

That's the plan for Sunday, so long as that dang word...work...doesn't get in the way. Cleaning the bug cemetery off the leathers and bike tonight... :laughing

22SLOW

We are meeting at See See's @ 9am on Sunday
131 Pine Street
Hope to see you there

RenoRider75

I'll be there.  See you in the morning!

renowingnut

Walked into a s!!t storm this morning when I was called in at 6:30am...hoping next weekend...ride safe!