Main Menu

Beers & Beasts: Re-Discovering a Lost Western Dinosaur 04/04/19

Started by GreenMachine, March 29, 2019, 01:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Event is free if you RSVP and limited to the first 100 people.  April 4, 2019, 5PM - 10 PM @ Great Basin Taps in Tanks
Click here.
Great Basin Brewing Co. Taps & Tanks
1155 South Rock Boulevard
Reno, NV 89502

I'm going.

Re-Discovering a Lost Western Dinosaur (and How to Excavate Fossils on a 300-Foot Cliff)

Dr. Randall Irmis

In 1859, a U.S. Army Expedition exploring southeastern Utah discovered the remains of the first North American dinosaur skeleton found west of the Mississippi River. They had less than two days to excavate half a dozen bones, leaving many more still entombed in the rock for "some future geologist...with more time at their command and more adequate implements for rock excavation." In the late 1800s, this specimen was given the name Dystrophaeus viamalae and paleontologists recognized it belong toa group of giant four-legged plant-eating dinosaurs called sauropods that were the largest animals to ever walk the earth. Subsequently, Dystrophaeus was largely ignored until a local historian relocated the site in the 1980s, but even then, little was done because it was difficult to access on the edge of a steep cliff. Randy will discuss the intriguing history of this forgotten dinosaur, new excavations of the rest of the skeleton requiring climbing gear and helicopter support, and what Dystrophaeus tells us about ancient life in the American West some 155 million year ago.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

Great find, sounds like an interesting topic.  I'm going!

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

RenoRider75

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 01, 2019, 01:00:08 PM
Oh yeah that too.  I just like going to Taps n Tanks.

:evil1
LOL!  Last time I was there, it was owned by Buckbean.  I'm looking forward to whatever beer they're making to celebrate this new dinosaur!

GreenMachine

So do you have $10,000 to lose?  Who was that guy?   :laughing

Cool little presentation and a full house!  Paleontology is one field I have gobs of respect for.  As fastening as the discoveries, I'm just not cut out for the much dedication.  Truly cool work though. 

Looking forward to next week.  8)

GreenMachine

BTW, that was me following you all the way to Kietzke.  You're quick off the line!   :GrnWheelie

RenoRider75

LOL, yeah - mostly I think he was trying to get me to go work for his start-up.  I don't do start-ups anymore; I remember how 18-hour days felt...  I don't have that kind of energy left in me these days.  The presentation was awesome though, and the food and beer made for an enjoyable night.  I'm also looking forward to next week!

I love the feeling of acceleration, and being geared for the street the 650 is surprisingly quick for its 70 horsepower.  :)