Main Menu

Ride on Sunday, 3/31, to Virginia City?

Started by RenoRider75, March 27, 2019, 05:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenoRider75

Sunday looks like it's going to be beautiful.  With I-80 currently covered in snow and insane weather (thundersnow?  I had no idea this existed), I don't trust rides over the pass to be super great this weekend.  The valley has been mostly shadowed from this storm by the mountains and Geiger currently looks good.  At 67 degrees and sunny on Sunday, I can't let the day pass without a ride.

To give the road plenty of time to warm up, I'm thinking of leaving South Maverick at 11am and hitting VC for lunch at the Virginia City Jerky Company.  I haven't seen the truck route yet this year, but Geiger still has some dirt on it so it might just be a quick ride up to VC and back down to Reno.  I expect VC to be busy this weekend, as everyone will likely be eager to get out and enjoy some sunshine for a change.   :D

eskiemong

Sounds like a good plan... If it's indeed warm on Sunday I'm in, it'll be my first ride this year!

GreenMachine

Nice invite, RR75!  8)

Would love to join, but I'll be out of town taking in snow related activities.

Ride safe and enjoy.  Catch up with you on the next go-around. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

The roads in the mountains are clear; ride anywhere you want. Today I passed a motorcycle coming the other way down off Brockway summit towards Truckee and another one North on 28 towards Incline.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

eskiemong

Shoot, I just had something come up and can't make the ride. It would be killer weather, enjoy the ride.

PAPASMURF

went for a KISS ride today. left the house at 10:30, got home at 18:30.
north to hwy 70 to quincey. got there at about 12 or so. short break  and
then down 70 along the feather river canyon. hit 3 PILOT car stops, total for
me was about 25 min wait time for all 3. first two are for clearing the burnt timber
and the 3rd was for installing the cable netting to help control falling rocks and
such. the further i rode along 70 the more evident the fire damage was. over the hill
past oroville lake i turned off to head to paradise and check it out. started off with not
much of anything, and i started to wonder how bad could it really have been. then
slowly but surely things started to appear. or not appear. the devastation was complete
by the time i got to what was left of the city center. numerous gas stations burnt to the
ground. areas where 20 houses once stood, 1 was left, as if the gods that be had said not this
one or not that one. nothing but the foundations left on maybe 90% of all homes. GONE.
place looks like maybe what the german citites looked like after the allied fire bombing
of wwII. insane. seen lots of forest fire damage before, but again, that was forest fire
damage, but to see a city destroyed by fire up close and personal was a bit overwhelming.
just incredible damage.
this morning was cold going out, ok there, and chilly on the return. since tomorrow is supposed to
be warmer, i am thinking real hard about going back for pics. maybe 10:00 KSU n virginia and 395
maverick.

S1000R
R1250RS

RenoRider75

Went up Geiger today with about half of the Reno population, lol.  It was a beautiful day for a ride!  The truck route had not been cleaned yet so a few turns were sketchy.  Overall a beautiful day for being on two wheels!

GreenMachine

Quote from: PAPASMURF on March 30, 2019, 09:45:20 PM
went for a KISS ride today. left the house at 10:30, got home at 18:30.
north to hwy 70 to quincey. got there at about 12 or so. short break  and
then down 70 along the feather river canyon. hit 3 PILOT car stops, total for
me was about 25 min wait time for all 3. first two are for clearing the burnt timber
and the 3rd was for installing the cable netting to help control falling rocks and
such. the further i rode along 70 the more evident the fire damage was. over the hill
past oroville lake i turned off to head to paradise and check it out. started off with not
much of anything, and i started to wonder how bad could it really have been. then
slowly but surely things started to appear. or not appear. the devastation was complete
by the time i got to what was left of the city center. numerous gas stations burnt to the
ground. areas where 20 houses once stood, 1 was left, as if the gods that be had said not this
one or not that one. nothing but the foundations left on maybe 90% of all homes. GONE.
place looks like maybe what the german citites looked like after the allied fire bombing
of wwII. insane. seen lots of forest fire damage before, but again, that was forest fire
damage, but to see a city destroyed by fire up close and personal was a bit overwhelming.
just incredible damage.
this morning was cold going out, ok there, and chilly on the return. since tomorrow is supposed to
be warmer, i am thinking real hard about going back for pics. maybe 10:00 KSU n virginia and 395
maverick.
If Fall/Winter would have been on time, the fire wouldn't have been nearly as devastating. 

Post up pics if you take any.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: RenoRider75 on March 31, 2019, 07:39:20 PM
Went up Geiger today with about half of the Reno population, lol.  It was a beautiful day for a ride!  The truck route had not been cleaned yet so a few turns were sketchy.  Overall a beautiful day for being on two wheels!
RR75, have you done the wait at the chain-up area at the bottom of Geiger?  Sometimes it's enough to open up enough of a gap that by the time you make the lookout you can pull over again for a second wait, before pressing on to the Highlands.   With such pleasant weather, for a change, you can't hardly blame people for wanted to get out of the house.

Hoping the group rides can attract some of that rider element, for those wanting to get out of the house.

dub

I raced a Hare Scramble down near Hollister on Sunday.

GreenMachine

Are you still coughing that up again today?

dub

RenoRider75

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 01, 2019, 01:08:36 PM
RR75, have you done the wait at the chain-up area at the bottom of Geiger?  Sometimes it's enough to open up enough of a gap that by the time you make the lookout you can pull over again for a second wait, before pressing on to the Highlands.   With such pleasant weather, for a change, you can't hardly blame people for wanted to get out of the house.

Hoping the group rides can attract some of that rider element, for those wanting to get out of the house.

Yeah, I often do that and then make it a game to catch the group of cars again.  Sunday was odd though, with an almost constant flow of cars up the hill.  So, I raised my visor up and rode slow up the hill with everyone else, soaking in the sunshine and smells of spring.  It's wasn't as fun as an empty road but it was awesome.  :)