Main Menu

Off topic: Meet at Moonrocks this Saturday 1/26/19

Started by GreenMachine, January 24, 2019, 10:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Not riding, but hiking & hunting with a Master Falconer in that region on Saturday with his birds of prey.  Not sure how many birds will be hunting or how many falconers will be there.   We will probably just observe and try to not get in his way, although we might also be asked to scurry up game ahead of his hunters.

For more information PM me.  It's by invitation only, so I'll give any of you the information to ask the Falconer directly.  Chances are he'll say yes immediately, since I'm already signed up.   :egyptian

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

I'm hooked!

Definitely going again ASAP.  Loved every aspect of Dirt Hawking.

If y'all are interested, again PM me if you'd like to go on your own schedule or let me know if you'd like to carpool out there and we can go as a group.  So long as it's only a couple people at a time, the master falconer actually encourages the participation.  But large groups become a mass of confusion.  K.I.S.S.

There's a place outside Rocklin, CA, that does public events for about $150/pp, on their schedule, you have to go to them and take an entire day just about for it all.  Here, you just meet up with the master falconer and his beautiful birds of prey, introduce yourself, and the day begins walking out into the sage.  A couple hours and the birds are done and exercised.

It's kinda of trippy having raptors buzz you as they travel from lookout to lookout, but that only happened occasionally.  They're excitable about starting their hunting routine and just as eager to head home.  If you drive a truck and pass by the master falconer's vehicle while his birds are there, they may chase your truck.  It was something they did as youngsters for training.  They'd pull a target simulating a rabbit behind a truck and the birds would chase. 

Hunting with feathers rather than iron, as they did before rifles and archery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3eVjr0Pzg
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Only had two birds today, but 5 people.  I think between the colder temperatures, snow, and them getting a little soggy from landing on bushes that were wet, we got skunked.  No rabbit kills. They chased about a dozen of them, but all were able to elude our hawk predators.

Lost two pounds walking though, so it was a nice low impact workout, plus I got more information on what it's like to be in falconry.

As we were leaving a Golden Eagle sored over use in a thermal, steadily gaining altitude.  It may have just been freeloading off the favorable winds, because he didn't drop down for an attack on any of the areas were we had seen jacks.

I think before the end of the season, which will be in about a month, I'm going to see about taking some food and drinks out there so we can hang out and socialize.  It wouldn't take much, just a portable BBQ, snacks and beer.   Who can resist hot food after a long 4 - 6 mile walk?

:cheers