Main Menu

Roll Call - TBD, one of two South Route rides - WWS or Markleeville

Started by GreenMachine, July 05, 2018, 10:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

WWS - Wentworth Springs road

For those thinking of riding this Sunday 07/08/18, it's going to be 95° by the afternoon, so put in your two cents as to where you'd like the group destination to be.  For convenience we have two to good choices, Markleeville or WWS road.

South route ride.

If WWS:
Clockwise loop, I-395 south to Kingbury Grade, hwy 50 S. Lake Tahoe to Kyburz, Icehouse, WWS, and probably reverse route home, as the central valley will be blazing, whereas Tahoe is forecast to only reach 82°. 

Planned 8:30 AM kickstands up (KSU)*.  Conditions are somewhat unfavorable due to forecast heat wave.  Would entertain other alternate ride destinations, either on Saturday or Sunday, the earlier in the day the better just to get the riding in while it's still relatively cool.

This will be one of our longer rides and should be a good one once Icehouse road is reached.

If Markleeville:
VC to CC, CC to Markleeville, up and over Monitor and back to Markleeville where the group will decide where to eat or whether to continue on, perhaps up to S. Lake Tahoe.

If none of the above:
Post up where you'd like to ride.  Swim rides are not out of the question.  Use your imagination.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.

South route ride.  This is a C+ level ride pace route, because of the dangers presented by riding too fast or out of control on Icehouse road.  It has some unmarked curves of technical nature and dangerous drop offs.  Meet at the Geiger Maverik Country Store prior to 8:30 AM.

As always, see 2018 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  *** Safety is paramount. ***

Hope to see you there.  Well, I won't, but others might.

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Sub-Sonic

Going for an 80 mile ride on my Trek tomorrow, so may not be in the best shape to ride on Sunday.  Next ride I plan to hit up is the 9/2 ebbetts/Sonora pass ride, as I will be in Japan again this summer riding.  Have fun, stay cool.

A DRAGON

YO G MACHINE.  I'M UP FOR A RIDE ON SUNDAY.  I WAS ACTUALLY THINKING OF SWIM AT ALPINE LAKE.  SO MAYBE BRING YOUr SWIMMING GEAR JUST ÎN CASE :sharktank
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on July 06, 2018, 07:40:11 PM
Going for an 80 mile ride on my Trek tomorrow, so may not be in the best shape to ride on Sunday.  Next ride I plan to hit up is the 9/2 ebbetts/Sonora pass ride, as I will be in Japan again this summer riding.  Have fun, stay cool.
Whoa!  In this weather, that sounds like a brutal undertaking.  Drink lots of fluids.

Looks like we have our first alternate route vote, to stay closer to Markleeville on this ride.

Sounds like the right idea, Dragon for the hot weather.  I'll be sure to bring the swim trunks.  :moon
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 07, 2018, 08:16:53 AM
Whoa!  In this weather, that sounds like a brutal undertaking.  Drink lots of fluids.

Looks like we have our first alternate route vote, to stay closer to Markleeville on this ride.

Sounds like the right idea, Dragon for the hot weather.  I'll be sure to bring the swim trunks.  :moon

I left at 5 am so still cool.

If you guys are going down ebbets (rt.4), I will meet in M'ville, just let me know what time??

GreenMachine

Smart, getting an early start.  Great way to keep in shape and brush up on the riding skills.

We'll be leaving Reno at 8:30 AM, but it's usual that we'll stop and talk along the way.  Figure on Markleeville at ~11:00 AM.  I won't have my GPS to keep us on time, so if you arrive early, you might just want to do some runs on Monitor, which will be our next destination.

After that, we'll probably head up hwy 4 to Alpine Lake for a swim.  The water is much cleaner than in the Yuba river, which is good, b/c I hate smelling like rotten fish.

Hope to see you tomorrow in our travels and hopefully in Markleeville.

A DRAGON

GREEN MACHINE. LET'S MEET AT THE STARBUCKS AT THE SUMMIT SIERRA.  I'LL BE THERE AT 8 HAVING MY MORNING COFFEE ;) :biatch
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

Team Gorgonzola

I'll be at the Maverick at the bottom of VC Highway at 8:00.
I'll take off around 8:15/20. Up VC, down the truck route and back.
Maybe a cappuccino in VC.
See there if you make it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

GreenMachine

TG,

I wouldn't doubt that some thought you were referring to this previously ridden ride.  You might have found someone to ride with if you had started a new thread, with a new date and time.  ;D

Oh well.  Live and learn. 

Glad to see so much action lately.  It's good to see.  :thumbup

A DRAGON

Or you could have met us first before we left.  Oh well next time.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750