Main Menu

$6 Motorcycle Safety Fee Poll

Started by Vegasrider, May 04, 2018, 07:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

All motorcycles are subject to a $6 Motorcycle Safety Fee whenever an owner of a new or used motorcycle is registered each year with the state in order to ride on our public roads and highways.   This fee goes towards funding the states motorcycle safety program called Nevada Rider.  There is also a separate thread discussing how this money is used here. Bottom line, its all about ensuring safety for all riders.

https://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=4824.0

GreenMachine

$1 a year?  I just lost $2 making the decision.  $1 more is neither here nor there.  However, that is a 20% increase and $2 more would be a 33% increase, which would seem steep for any program.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

It's been $6 since 1991! Would you rather vote for a .50 increase than digging up an extra buck for safety. Again, anyone has the right to vote against an increase too

PAPASMURF

my 3 cents (inflation) use to be a penny for one's thoughts.

if they made it part of the program for ALL new riders to go through this and then they could qualify to

get the license i would love it. see way too many idiots out there riding in t-shits and t-shoes. they just

might see the light and get SOME KIND of gear other than the helmet. also might teach that one is part

of the big picture. they NEED to learn to ride safe. a written test just does not convey what they really

should be paying attention to. in europe it is tiered, small, med, large. and only after time. but this might

be put into a POLICE STATE mentality by some. (too much big brother)

but then, i am a dinosaur and maybe I just do not GET IT.  :headscratch

S1000R
R1250RS

GreenMachine

Quote from: Vegasrider on May 05, 2018, 01:16:04 PM
It's been $6 since 1991! Would you rather vote for a .50 increase than digging up an extra buck for safety?
If that was the only way to look at it, I could see why the majority would vote against it. 

I would only be mildly interested in taking such a class at this stage of my riding career, as I think most in my station would.  So it's not or at least to a vast degree, mostly not my safety this class is designed to enhance.  I would think most of these riders would be newer riders and closer to that end of the spectrum.  So my paying extra doesn't go towards my safety as much as it goes to the betterment of the newer riders, so a subsidy to them. 

But I think that's the black and white way of looking at it, the oversimplification.  It's the direct results of fees going towards a program, black and white.  However, as a motorcycle rider, my insurance rates might be affected by having more safe riding  :newbie riders on the road.  Students who complete the course probably ride more courteously than do riders who ride will less skills or more dangerously.  My life could be directly affected by those, both financially and in quality of life.  If there are more "run 'em over" cages rolling down the road, because of too many unsafe motorcyclists, suddenly those of us indirectly related to them are targets.  And we already know there are a lot of angry drivers out there ready to run us over for one reason or another.

So I'm not so naive to think that the class is just about my dollars going towards someone else's safety.  There's a lot of gray area in between that goes to benefit all motorcyclists.  And when we understand that, yeah, a $1 or even so, a 20% increase is money well spent.

Would you say that's more accurate than not?

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.