Main Menu

$6 Nevada Motorcycle Safety Fee

Started by Vegasrider, April 28, 2018, 10:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

Everyone who registers a motorcycle in this state is aware of the $6 fee that goes towards the states motorcycle safety program. This fee helps subsidy the MSF classes to Nevada residents. So if you have taken a class from the state or one of the community colleges, you benefited. In a addition it helps pay to purchase training bikes, supplies, advertisement etc. This fee has remained the same since 1991. As a motorcycle rider and owner, would you oppose an increase of this fee, technically it's considered a tax, from $6 to $7 or $8 per bike?

Here's the link to the forum poll.

https://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=4828.0

GreenMachine

You should see the Add Poll button below your message body.  Not sure if you can add a poll to an existing thread though.  I've only tried it as I'm building the thread before posting.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

TedG

If it is like every other fee that the government imposes, it is probably misused. Before saying yes to an increase, I would like to see their accountability. MSF is one of the great things to happen.
But I hear is it poorly run, not saying it is, but that is what I heard.
2009 Concours 14 (ABS)
2005 Green ZX10 (the fast color) for sale
2018 Kawasaki H2

Vegasrider

Quote from: TedG on May 01, 2018, 10:20:13 AM
If it is like every other fee that the government imposes, it is probably misused. Before saying yes to an increase, I would like to see their accountability. MSF is one of the great things to happen.
But I hear is it poorly run, not saying it is, but that is what I heard.

The $6 fee is to fund the states motorcycle safety program, AKA Nevada Rider Motorcycle Safety Program.   The fee has nothing to do with the MSF, however the state does use the MSF curriculum.  If you're a motorcyclist, this $6 is not misused at all.  As I had mentioned, if you take a class that is administered by the state or one of the community colleges, these classes are subsidized from part of the $6 fee.  A new rider only pays $150 for the class, where it would cost them an additional $100 if it were not for this $6 fee.  Taking a class from HD is a great example, they are not part of the state, so they must charge at least $100 more for their class, and I've heard its up to $595 in Vegas.  Look Twice For Motorcycle advertisements, purchasing new training bikes, fuel, parts & equipment, promotional giveaways, and most importantly helps pay for the instructors who is responsible for putting more riders out on our roads, safely!

Even a $1 increase shouldn't break the bank for any rider.  Just trying to get some thoughts before I submit this into a formal manner with the next legislative session.    If I receive a lot of No's, I must re-evaluate. 

Blunder

I think I'm on the same page as TedG on this. Does all money collected go to the motorcycle safety fund or can it be diverted, at least in part, to cover budget shortfalls for other Gummint programs? I know this was done in CA with OHV Green Sticker money.

I wouldn't mind a $1 or $2 increase if I knew it was going where I'd like.
If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing would do.

TedG

I have a friend who taught the HD class. He loved doing it, but he quit because they changed the curriculum to some nonsense. Dragon knows him.
2009 Concours 14 (ABS)
2005 Green ZX10 (the fast color) for sale
2018 Kawasaki H2

wills

Why not charge the student more since they are the benefitor?
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

Vegasrider

Quote from: Blunder on May 01, 2018, 09:32:57 PM
I think I'm on the same page as TedG on this. Does all money collected go to the motorcycle safety fund or can it be diverted, at least in part, to cover budget shortfalls for other Gummint programs? I know this was done in CA with OHV Green Sticker money.

I wouldn't mind a $1 or $2 increase if I knew it was going where I'd like.

Strictly for Nevada that's motorcycle related.  We also receive federal funding as well, but primarily the bread and butter is from this $6 fee.    If the funds are not used, it can rollover for so many years, not sure how many, but the program doesn't have that problem since they have a tough time getting by from the same amount of money since 1991, although there are more registered bikes now so the funds have increased.   Another agency cannot take away the money reserved for the motorcycle safety program. 

It's not going to affect those who don't have a motorcycle to register, just those who do.  So if you own 3 bikes and register them, it would be an increase of of $3 in the event it was raised to $7.

Vegasrider

Quote from: TedG on May 02, 2018, 07:12:42 AM
I have a friend who taught the HD class. He loved doing it, but he quit because they changed the curriculum to some nonsense. Dragon knows him.

Yes, the MSF Curriculum changed back in 2012, although some of the exercises are relatively the same, the class has been overhauled.  Better or worse, depends on everyone's opinion. For example, we don't show videos anymore in the classroom, we use slide decks.  We also have an E-course where you would normally spend 5 hours covering the material in the classroom, now you can now do it online at your own pace that takes roughly three hours. 

Vegasrider

NRS 486.372  Program for Education of Motorcycle Riders: Establishment; Administrator; consultation with Advisory Board; approval of courses of instruction; rules and regulations; contracts for services; Account to pay expense of Program.

1.  The Director shall:

(a) Establish the Program for the Education of Motorcycle Riders.

(b) Appoint an Administrator to carry out the Program.

(c) Consult regularly with the Advisory Board on Motorcycle Safety concerning the content and implementation of the Program.

(d) Approve courses of instruction provided by public or private organizations which comply with the requirements established for the Program.

(e) Adopt rules and regulations which are necessary to carry out the Program.

2.  The Director may contract for the provision of services necessary for the Program.

3.  The Account for the Program for the Education of Motorcycle Riders is hereby created in the State General Fund. The Director shall administer the Account.

4.  The money in the Account for the Program for the Education of Motorcycle Riders may only be used to pay the expenses of the Program, including reimbursement to instructors licensed pursuant to NRS 486.375 for services provided for the Program.

5.  The interest and income earned on the money in the Account, after deducting any applicable charges, must be credited to the Account.

6.  Any money remaining in the Account for the Program for the Education of Motorcycle Riders at the end of a fiscal year does not revert to the State General Fund, and the balance in the Account must be carried forward to the next fiscal year.

(Added to NRS by 1991, 1064; A 2010, 26th Special Session, 22; 2013, 2759; 2015, 327)

NRS 486.373  Program for Education of Motorcycle Riders: Eligibility; fee.

1.  A resident of this State who holds a motorcycle driver's license or a motorcycle endorsement to a driver's license or who is eligible to apply for such a license or endorsement, or a nonresident who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a reserve component thereof or the National Guard and who is stationed at a military installation located in Nevada, may enroll in the Program.

2.  The Director shall establish a fee of not more than $150 for the Program.

(Added to NRS by 1991, 1065; A 2013, 2527; 2015, 90)

Blunder

Ahhh. A clarification.

Thank you for that.

If this holds then I'm OK with an extra 2 grickles.
If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing would do.

RedLeader

So, In general, I support the Nevada Motorcycle programs and the fees going to MSF and rider safety. I would like more clarification though on one thing. I think if this were to be proposed for a ballot question, this is a main question you would need to answer:
It has been mentioned that they would like to raise the fee $1-$2 dollars, as it hasn't been raised in years. What is the need to raise these fees, ie. what will it go to fund that it is not already funding?
Is there a budget shortfall what the fee is not currently paying for? Are we trying to subsidize the MSF course even more? Are there new programs that we are trying to start/fund? If so what are these?
Basically, why is the money needed and where specifically would this money be used?
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka