Main Menu

Allow me to introduce...myself

Started by Dmon, February 05, 2018, 12:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmon

Hola, SSA, my name is Dennis.

New member here, mostly looking to meet fellow track day junkies like myself. Perhaps even find ones interested in partnering up for some. Also, at the risk of trying to kill too many birds, was hoping I could get some of your impressions of PTT. I did a track day with them a couple of years ago and was horrified at the chaos. I think there was at least one crash every hour. Saw one happen right in front of me coming out of T13 at Thunderhill. The chopper had to be called in that day too. People speeding in the pits, etc., etc.. Pretty much the stereotype of why people are hesitant to do track days.

Is this normal for PTT? Or did I just happen to witness an anomaly?

dub

Hola, track day junkie checking in.

Full disclosure to keep in mind while reading the following, I'm an instructor for Keigwins.

What you experienced is pretty much consistent with PTTs reputation. I haven't done a PTT day in years, but I know lots of people who wont go to their days because they seem to have an experience like yours more often than not. Of course, some people like PTT for that reason, they get to ride however they want to ride, without having a finger waived in their face. Everyone has their niche.

That being said, you can't always blame the crashes on the track day provider. The only person that can control the motorcycle is the customer riding it. Some days are better than others. Ideally the coaches out on track would try to identify people riding poorly and give them some help to prevent a crash. But that's not always possible due to the high ratio of customers to coaches, and because some people aren't interested in listening and prefer to learn the hard way.

Lemme know if you go to any Keigwins days, I try to go to most of the weekend events and at least some of the weekdays when I can skip work.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

eskiemong

Hello! I'm a trackday newbie... I did my first trackday last year.  I only did C groups, so maybe it's different in other groups.  But I didn't find anything particularly negative about PTT.  I did 2-3 trackdays each with PTT, Z2 and Keigwins...  From my impression just about same number of crashes/incidents overall.  PTT is the only group that allows inside passing in C group, but even that made little difference.  Though Keigwins is my favorite so far... :) I was thinking of the PTT season opener next weekend if the weather is nice and there's still spot available.

dub

Quote from: eskiemong on February 13, 2018, 05:51:09 PMI was thinking of the PTT season opener next weekend if the weather is nice and there's still spot available.

Skinny said he's going too.

Dmon

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still working out which events I'll be able to attend but am looking forward to meeting any and all there.

GreenMachine

I remember when trackday discussions were the norm, rather than the exception. 

When there were trackdays, back then at RFR, SSA would invite general riders for a taste of the track, 2 laps at no more than street legal speeds, to introduce riders who might be on the fence about doing a trackday to feel what it was kind of like.  There'd be about 20 riders just for that.  No pressure.  I'd always take advantage of those when I was there hanging out with trackday riders for a couple of hours.

I wonder if any of the trackday organizations do that today.  It might be a good intro to get new blood off the fence.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 01, 2018, 07:37:22 AMI wonder if any of the trackday organizations do that today.  It might be a good intro to get new blood off the fence.

Yes, most of them have some iteration of this.

eskiemong

dub

Quote from: eskiemong on March 07, 2018, 07:19:52 AM
I will be at T-Hill on 3/17.

Bummed I'm going to miss the season opener but it conflicts with AFM.

eskiemong

I've signed up for Yamaha Champions School on 19, 20, 21 at Buttonwillow, so I might see you at buttonwillow on Sunday!