Main Menu

MotoAmerica @ Sonoma

Started by dub, August 11, 2017, 11:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

A DRAGON

I wanted to go.  But never looked up the Times. I'm still kinda open. Are you going or do you think thou can qualify to race?
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

Last minute.  Tommy and I are going.  Bike's not even ready and we're leaving here in a few hours.

Hotel prices are crazy expensive!!! 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 11, 2017, 12:39:03 PMAre you going or do you think thou can qualify to race? [/b]

I'm just going to hang out and watch.

But, actually I could maybe qualify. So far in practice today the top 600 Superstock time is 1:40.761, that puts the 107% qualifying cutoff off at 1:47.814. My career best time @ Sonoma is 1:46.668. So assuming I could at least match my best time, and the fastest time in the remaining sessions didn't get lower than 1:39.690, I would qualify. The bottom 10 or so spots of the time sheets are AFM racers that I have beaten in the past. So maybe I'll go for it next year.

A DRAGON

I already made plans for Saturday. Think i can make a day trip on Sunday. I'll text you guys when I'm on my way.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

RichVee4

If dub was racing I would make a point of going.  I am dog sitting this weekend while the Mrs does  a group ride to the coast.  Cant complain, I did an awesome overnight dirt ride last weekend.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Drats, Rich!  RG and I were on the coast too.  RG rode, get this, 242 miles on his 500cc two-stroke.

Didn't see Monica, but what are the odds of that anyway!?  Not too shabby of a route either.  I liked it!   ;D

Here was our route.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Nice route.  What no mechanical issues? Even better!  The girls are too hard core for me, 750 miles on their naked bikes, 36 to Eureka then 299 return.

How was the races?

I rode Geiger, six mile and truck route Sun AM, traffic was great.  Had a close encounter with some horses on a blind corner after the summit headed to VC.  A motorist was flashing his headlights at me so slowed down and low and behold there were about 6 horses standing in my lane, yikes.  Horse sighting all over and evidence of them in many places on the road. 

Saw a bicyclist that had been hit by a left turner at the base of Geiger, you could see the dent square in the passenger door of the guy turning off Geiger into her path, hope she is ok.
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

Quote from: RichVee4 on August 14, 2017, 06:47:29 AMHow was the races?

The main events themselves weren't that great, the top 3 was pretty much spread out in all 4 races. But there was a lot else going on. Both 600 races had a big pack that stayed together and fought for the win in STK6. It's just that were some SSP bikes mixed in there so you had to know what you were looking at to get the excitement. It was fun to have so many locals sign up, I knew almost every single person racing in the LCQ.

Overall the event was excellent. Perfect weather. We were able to cruise the pit bikes around the entire facility, even through the paddock, without helmets, and never got hassled by anyone. I really appreciated the lax rules.

A DRAGON

Quote from: dub on August 14, 2017, 12:05:34 PM
Quote from: RichVee4 on August 14, 2017, 06:47:29 AMHow was the races?

The main events themselves weren't that great, the top 3 was pretty much spread out in all 4 races. But there was a lot else going on. Both 600 races had a big pack that stayed together and fought for the win in STK6. It's just that were some SSP bikes mixed in there so you had to know what you were looking at to get the excitement. It was fun to have so many locals sign up, I knew almost every single person racing in the LCQ.

Overall the event was excellent. Perfect weather. We were able to cruise the pit bikes around the entire facility, even through the paddock, without helmets, and never got hassled by anyone. I really appreciated the lax rules.

We had a pretty good experience as well. Parked right on turn 9. Between races had access to our cooler had water that didn't cost $5.

Also found out about some kids 6 thru 10 that were racing and had some really cool bikes.  They were dragging knee in the parking lot.
MY SON IS GOING TO GO CRAZY when he gets his leathers.  I WAS TOLD RPM LEATHERS OUT OF SPAIN MADE CUSTOM LEATHERS FOR ABOUT $500.00. That's very doable. Especially since I got one 2 years behind him and when I'm done I think I could sell them for about 2 or 3 hundred when I'm through with them.

The other attraction:
Sportbikes doing an obstacle course was pretty enjoyable. They had a lot of talent.  Very technical stuff. That's right up my alley and down my street.

Overall really enjoyed my self. And like always the SSA company was very nice. Got to eat with rg500 and Green machine on the way home.  Excellant. Thanks guys.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

dub

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 15, 2017, 06:12:32 AMBetween races had access to our cooler had water that didn't cost $5.

I really like how they didn't care what you brought in. We had a whole cooler full of beer and brats and grilled 'em up for lunch on a camp bbq. Not buying $8 beers and $15 lunch both days is nice.

GreenMachine

RG would know.  He got a 22 oz Coors and corndog for free, just for changing out a $100 bill I had given him the day before.  He even insisted he hadn't paid and the cashier just brushed him off. 

It was a corndog & Coors though, so really!  $12 for a corndog?  And Coors?  Blech!

dub

This is the only picture I took. Well, I mean, obviously I didn't take it, but yeah. We were hanging out with our buddy Shawn, who works on Bobby Fong's crew. This was Sunday after Saturday's crash damage was repaired and everyone was all smiles looking forward to Race 2.

We also spent some time hanging out with Mike Canfield, JD Beach's crew chief, ogling over the trick factory parts up close on the Graves R6, but no pics.