Main Menu

Roll call - Wentworth Springs 06/25/17

Started by GreenMachine, June 19, 2017, 09:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

South route ride.

Clockwise loop, I-395 south to Kingbury Grade, hwy 50 S. Lake Tahoe to Kyburz, Icehouse, WWS, and probably reverse route home, as the central valley will be blazing, whereas Tahoe is forecast to only reach 82°. 

Planned 8:30 AM kickstands up (KSU)*.  Conditions are somewhat unfavorable due to forecast heat wave.  Would entertain other alternate ride destination, either on Saturday or Sunday, the earlier the better just to get the riding in while it's still cool.

I will not be on this ride,*** but don't let that prevent you from riding what is currently the best curvy road in the Sierras.

This will be one of our longer rides and should be a good one once Icehouse road is reached.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.

South route ride.  This is a C+ level ride pace route, because of the dangers presented by riding too fast or out of control on Icehouse road.  It specifically has some unmarked curves of technical nature and dangerous drop offs.  Meet at the Geiger Maverik Country Store. 

As always, see 2017 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  *** Safety is paramount. ***

Hope to see you there.  Well, I won't, but others might.

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
*** I will not be on this ride or the scheduled rides for the following week either, so you know.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

PAPASMURF

:blackbike is in. have not been out for 3 wks,  need some saddle time. 8 or so at the starting gate.
S1000R
R1250RS

GreenMachine

:thumbup  :clap

Wish I could go too, but have an extended family reunion to go to.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

I'm for this ride.

Except instead of turning around and going back the way we came, I'm going to head south from Georgetown and take some foothills back roads to Hwy 88 and home from there. Anyone is of course welcome to come with me past Georgetown, but be warned some of the roads may be super goaty. Not sure, I'm gonna take some new-to-me ones.

I will meet the group (or just you, Mickey) at the bottom of Kingsbury about 9:15.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

PAPASMURF

see you there. i will follow your lead, as YOU WILL KNOW WHERE WE ARE GOING!!! i'd get us lost after 10 turns, LOL. will be good to see you again, been awhile since we rode together.

tally F---ing ho! :blackbike
S1000R
R1250RS

rg500nut

sorry, RG is out.  Cannot make it.  Planning on coast overnight next week.

Have fun..........
2 strokes always...............

dub

Just put on a new front tire, new front brake pads, and changed the brake fluid on the Tiger. Tally ho!

PAPASMURF

now i see why GOAT ROADS may be involved. LOL. just so long as the pot holes don't swallow me whole.
S1000R
R1250RS

PAPASMURF

gonna stop at the Maverick station in minden for gas then go to you.
S1000R
R1250RS

dub

OK, I'll just meet you at the Maverick.

I googled the roads on the route because I wasn't sure if they were all paved and found this ride report: https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/63523/ . They were in good shape in 2008, we'll see how much they have deteriorated since.

PAPASMURF

S1000R
R1250RS

dub

That was a fun route, the roads I thought would be very goaty were actually pretty well maintained. There were a few big potholes, but they were circled in white paint, which indicates to me someone intends to repair them at some point.
Traffic was abnormally high overall, but still a very pleasant Sunday ride.

Here's the route we took from Georgetown down to Hwy 88. https://goo.gl/vrHpcY

GreenMachine

Mel would have loved riding with you guys for that one.

PAPASMURF

was my first time one-on-one with DUB. had a great ride, not hectic and everything was just smooth. stopped at

WWS/IHR, and dub got to speak with a couple of track day dudes. lunch at in-and-out, and back out. dub had

himself a great big surprise after lunch :crackup :crackup. don't think he'll do that again. was so funny, still brings a

chuckle when i think about it. i'll let him tell. LOL. thanks, dub, wonderful ride. no where near as hot as i expected.
S1000R
R1250RS