Main Menu

Roll call - California Motherload Ride (Saturday delayed start)

Started by GreenMachine, June 09, 2017, 11:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Canceled

North route departure.  Pace leisurely C+.

Due to weather rolling in on Sunday, I've moved this ride to Saturday, where there's a better opportunity to enjoy some late Springtime temperatures.  Showers are expected along the Sierras on Sunday, so I've taken all group rides off the schedule for that day.

Planned delayed 9:00 AM kickstands up (KSU).*  Should be fantastic weather if not a little cool for riding.  Depending of mood, the planned route is straight to Auburn, then ForestHill, [optional MRR], Iowa Hill/Colfax, Placer Hills rd, Grass Valley, Downieville, Sierra City, and home.  If the group isn't feeling it, we'll cut out the Auburn & ForestHill portion and take the easy route.

Would like to take one planned excursion down to the American River in Colfax, taking us down a steep single lane road in the process.  Those who are more adventurous can go up Iowa Hill on the south side of the river.  It's quite the little oasis down there!

Lunch stop ideas:  Probably somewhere in Grass Valley or Nevada City.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  Expect the group to depart on the ride as soon as everyone who has RSVP'ed is ready.

North route ride.  This is planned as a leisurely scenic ride with some spirited riding if the opportunity presents itself.  All levels of riders would be welcome on this route.  Meet at Starbucks or thereabouts (if parking is an issue).

As always, see 2017 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  *** Safety is paramount. ***

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Wade68

The ride wasn't cancelled till this morning about 800.  Maybe the cancelled rides could be announced the night before.  I got up and rushed around to be at the North starting point and waited till 915.  Not sure why this is happening?

Vegasrider

Never leave the house in the morning without checking the thread.

On the bright side, looks like we are starting to get a small group for our overnight trip to Cali for next month

GreenMachine

Sorry Wade.  I didn't see anyone show any interest in the ride and I had already played hooky last weekend, so when I got up this morning and still didn't seen anyone post up interest (RSVP), I put on my grubbies and did house chores instead. 

The weather would have been better for riding. Tomorrow's going to be iffy in the Sierras.  I could have easily switched work and play.  :(
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: Wade68 on June 10, 2017, 10:28:10 AMThe ride wasn't cancelled till this morning about 800.  Maybe the cancelled rides could be announced the night before.  I got up and rushed around to be at the North starting point and waited till 915.  Not sure why this is happening?

It's happening because that's literally what it says might happen:

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 09, 2017, 11:09:23 AMRSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  Expect the group to depart on the ride as soon as everyone who has RSVP'ed is ready.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Wade68

My apologies for not sending rsvp for the Sat ride.  My thinking with this situation is that if a ride is scheduled, surely someone will show regardless of the rsvp status.  And as far as RUP making comment, this should remain a site for positive feedback, not snide comments.  Thanks GM for posting, I just didn't check the site.  Figured atleast someone would show.

Wade68

dub

Wasn't meant to be a snide comment, just answering your question of "Not sure why this is happening?". How would anyone know that you plan on showing up to the ride if you don't announce your intentions?

Wade68

Why should anyone have to announce their intentions for a scheduled ride.  The originator of the ride should show up just in case someone was unable to rsvp.  It would seem that if you are a member, you should want to ride.  If someone is a member just for the bragging rights, they should probably sell their bike and get a "Prius"!

GreenMachine

I suppose I should give some background as to why I added the RSVP wording to our scheduled rides threads and this goes back to 2008, when I joined SSA.  Back in the good ol' days when most of the SSA membership was also regular participants of Reno Fernley Raceway (RFR), normal group ride sizes were similar to this.

But as RFR had financial issues and the club split between group riders and trackday riders, and many many other factors, including the economy, people moving on, getting out of motorcycling, having children, etc... it was a fairly common occurrence for there to be a group ride led by nobody.  In fact, it became a rarity for anyone other than myself to show up.  It got to the point that I didn't care, I'd just show up and if nobody else was there, I'd do the ride anyway, solo. 

That was the norm for many years with some ebb and flow to who might make an appearance on any given ride and how big a group we would have.  Then as the original guard of riders basically moved on with their lives and the forum went into a state of disrepair, I kind of asserted myself into looking after the forum, updating it, building ride schedules, finally putting a stop to all the foreigners shadowing the site looking for information they could harvest, etc...

Anymore, I don't go on weekly rides on my own if nobody shows up.   Been there, done that.  And I've had one parent pass away and another that's nearing end-of-life, so now my priorities are changing too.   I ride whenever I want or not, but I'm encouraged to go on rides when others show interest.  I may have other obligations and family takes precedent over riding fun.  Fortunately, the last several years we've had Papasmurf and some others come onboard and they've been influential in fostering my enthusiasm for riding, as I prefer to ride with other riders when I can.  It makes it more fun that way.  So I devised the RSVP wording. 

The RSVP wording takes all the troublework out of the Sunday rides.  If nobody posts they're going, there's no expectation that anyone will be leading or waiting for a ride.   Which is why I try to also post whether I'm planning on not being there too.  No pressure and we've always been an open group about who leads.  Whether I'm there or not, it doesn't matter.  We're also not an airline or a transportation service with set schedules and departures regardless of whether or not we have participants.  It would be great if it worked like that, but I don't see that as being practical.  Not for me anyway.

I understand the frustration of anyone showing up for one of our scheduled rides and finding that nobody else is there, not even the person who posted the scheduled ride.  I completely understand.  I've been in your shoes.  I know what that's like.  From what I've seen, so there's less pressure on everyone, is for there to be some idea of who is thinking of going, RSVP'ing.  Participation seems to breed more participants.

Every member can start threads on the SSA forum, not just me.  I'm doing so as a courtesy and because I like seeing participation on the forum as well as on rides.  If any of you feel I'm slacking, don't hesitate to take the reigns of this stagecoach and step in. I wouldn't be offended, it would warm my heart.

Bigcat

Wade,

Back in the day when we would routinely have 10-20 riders show up for rides, it was common to just "show up" and either Adragon, GM or myself would always be there to lead so it was no big deal. Life and schedules change, participation on group rides has fallen off and now the primary organizing and lead duties have fallen on GM. No one likes to show up to a ride and sit around to find out no one else is coming. Been there done that more times than I can count. A simple " hey i'm coming" sometimes gets others off the fence and let's the leaders know they won't be alone. Cool ??

I'm going to try to get to PJ's tonight if anyone wants to buy me a soda lol  ;D

Wade68

GM,   Thanks for the explanation and I do appreciate it.  Yes, things are cool...  I am just trying to get my head wrapped around the idea of scheduling a ride and not going through with it.  This is the newbie in me speaking of course.  I am like anyone else who wants to know the answers...  I defend my question and comment!  I am understanding why you run the show for the most part with SSA and its b/c you are easy going and level headed.  Thanks again and looking forward to the coast ride over the July 4th week end.   Wade

dub

Quote from: Wade68 on June 14, 2017, 12:35:52 PMI am like anyone else who wants to know the answers and gets some kind of backhand smartass response like I got from dub.  I defend my question and comment!

Backhanded smartass remarks is the only kind I do. Better grow some thicker skin if you are going to stick around.

Wade68

dub, live with that!!!

dub

Aw, you don't even know me yet. Just wait until we meet in person. It's going to be kind of awkward for you... But that's ok, I'll still treat you like an old friend.