Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Tire install prices

Started by RichVee4, June 03, 2017, 06:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Just had a set of tires installed at Moto Source.  Prices have gone up to 35 per tire plus 4 tire disposal fee...  Totaling $78 for two tires. The No mar tire changer is sounding even better so I can do it myself.  Mentioned the $$ to the Mrs and got the thumbs up! 
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on June 03, 2017, 06:25:32 PM
Just had a set of tires installed at Moto Source.  Prices have gone up to 35 per tire plus 4 tire disposal fee...  Totaling $78 for two tires. The No mar tire changer is sounding even better so I can do it myself.  Mentioned the $$ to the Mrs and got the thumbs up!

With a bazillion bikes between the two of you it seems like a no brainer.

dub

Go for it. $78 to mount a set of tires is too much. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to bring the wheels there while the shop is open.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Been looking at tire lever "spoons."   Any recommendations of good ones for painted rims?   Rich and Co. always did a good job on mine, even buttering up edge.   Prices range from $22 - ~90.

Will be doing tire changes for a dirt bike with spokes, as well as, my street bike rims.  If there's a couple different sets people would recommend, I'm all ears.

Also, I suppose I need to get self-adhering lead balancing weights too and that waxing butter too. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RenoRider75

A trick I learned when doing my motorcycle tires is to cut pieces out of an old milk jug (the plastic ones) and use that between the rim and the tire irons.  The plastic is extremely durable, so it won't break off inside the tire, but it's also smooth enough and just "cushiony" enough to prevent scratching up the rim.

Our Kawasakis have a thin ridge around the center of the rim that is perfect for clip-on weights (I assume some other bikes also have this, Sara's Ducati does not).  I've had the adhesive weights come off before, and I hate putting duck tape on my rims, so I use the clip-on weights instead.

https://www.amazon.com/50pcs-Wheel-Balancing-Weights-Motorcycle/dp/B00FZRL6OC

I thought about buying one of the manual tire changers from Harbor Freight; their static tire balancer works really well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Manual-Tire-Changer-69686.html

The biggest problem with changing your own tires is that you will eventually get really good at it...  which means you can swap out for racing tires at the track.  But then you also need tire warmers.  But if you're getting tire warmers, you should do even more track days to justify the cost...  And then maybe it's time to look for ways to upgrade the suspension to take advantage of the stickier tires since you're doing more track days...

Before long, you have a motorcycle trailer with a dozen tires in it and a couple of ZX-10RR's in back.  Taking the bike to a shop to change the tires is so much cheaper than all of this.   :laughing

dub

Quote from: RenoRider75 on April 06, 2019, 10:59:32 AMThe biggest problem with changing your own tires is that you will eventually get really good at it...  which means you can swap out for racing tires at the track.  But then you also need tire warmers.  But if you're getting tire warmers, you should do even more track days to justify the cost...  And then maybe it's time to look for ways to upgrade the suspension to take advantage of the stickier tires since you're doing more track days...

Before long, you have a motorcycle trailer with a dozen tires in it and a couple of ZX-10RR's in back.  Taking the bike to a shop to change the tires is so much cheaper than all of this.   :laughing

Too late. Don't forget you need a generator to power the tire warmers too.

RedLeader

Quote from: dub on April 08, 2019, 02:50:39 PM
Quote from: RenoRider75 on April 06, 2019, 10:59:32 AMThe biggest problem with changing your own tires is that you will eventually get really good at it...  which means you can swap out for racing tires at the track.  But then you also need tire warmers.  But if you're getting tire warmers, you should do even more track days to justify the cost...  And then maybe it's time to look for ways to upgrade the suspension to take advantage of the stickier tires since you're doing more track days...

Too late. Don't forget you need a generator to power the tire warmers too.

If you just get one of the big diesel buses, you can just run the generator and plug into that.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka