Main Menu

Roll call - La Porte Group Ride 06/04/17

Started by GreenMachine, May 31, 2017, 07:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

North route departure.

Planned 9:00 AM kickstands up (KSU).*  Should be fantastic weather for riding.  I won't be there though, so someone else will have to share in leading this one.

This is one of our more 'test of wills' rides (about 260 miles), taking us up into into some of the more remote and steep terrain of the Sierras.  Not for the inexperienced rider who likes to risk it, this ride with its sheer cliffs in spots, is to be respected.  Not advised for the beginning C pace/skilled rider, there are unmarked hairpins with dangerous unguarded drop offs, with gravel, dirt and rock obstacles, along with unforgiving steep narrow roads.

La Porte road has three distinct sections.  The east side is the old narrow road, the section I tell people just to survive.  Go slow and take your enthusiasm back several notches.  I've seen multiple accidents firsthand on La Porte road, more here than all other group ride roads combined. The middle wider section once out of the east canyon is still treacherous, with less road obstacles, but still with steep drop offs.  It has a flowing feel, but even though the roadway appears newer, expect gravel at the most inopportune areas.  And then there's the west half of La Porte road which is majestic flowing wide new pavement that still carries some dangers, but a lot more curvy fun to ride, with Armco barriers.

This is labeled a B pace or skilled ride.

Lunch stop ideas:  Lunch is usually done in La Porte itself or afterwards in nearby Quincy.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  Expect the group to depart on the ride as soon as everyone who has RSVP'ed is ready.

North route ride.  This is a minimum B level ride pace route, as mentioned.  Meet at Starbucks or thereabouts (if parking is an issue).

As always, see 2017 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  *** Safety is paramount. ***

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

PAPASMURF

gotta go to a birthday on sunday. s-- t, shinolla and shaving cream. going with mrs smurf on buster on sat. ;) :bluebike her first time out this year. not sure where, but SHE WANTS OUT! LOL. will try for the next one for sure.

S1000R
R1250RS

GreenMachine

I'd think Gold Lake Loop into Graeagle would make for some nice scenery for her to look at.

Plus, we can always reschedule this ride.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

As of now, no one has committed to this ride.  GreenMachine is doing a 1000 mile IB ride today and had indicated he will NOT be leading this ride.  Unless someone posts up interest its likely this ride will be rescheduled.
Live long and prosper \V/