Main Menu

Austin ADV ride

Started by RichVee4, May 21, 2017, 08:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Successfully completed my first overnight ADV ride out of Austin.  SL and I put together a 280 mile route that included high mountain ridges, fossil sights, stage routes, hot springs and numerous ghost towns.    Some stretches felt like we went back in time to the wild west.

One of my favorite pics leaving Austin looking south.  There was a fresh snow dusting a few days before that made for an amazing backdrop.   Our route is the ridge road to the right of shot.  Could have done laps on that all day.

Live long and prosper \V/

dub

Super cool, I'm envious. Gotta get a dual sport so I can come with next time.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

A plated DS was not required for this route.  We did a few short paved segments that could be avoided.   Most long stretches are on roads like this.   Comfortable range of at least 150 miles is necessary.  I have a 4 gal tank and avg 60mpg and never needed reserve.  There is one fuel stop close to half way in the 280 mile loop.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kGLNTvn4BUE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GreenMachine

I'm wondering how you managed to get SL onto a flat road with rocks small that 12".   ;)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I thought you were the one that liked to run over rocks.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 23, 2017, 06:00:10 PM
I'm wondering how you managed to get SL onto a flat road with rocks small that 12".   ;)

That was one of the most least desireably stretches of the route but the passes more than made up for it.
Quote from: RichVee4 on May 23, 2017, 07:52:40 PM
I thought you were the one that liked to run over rocks.

"I thought you were the one that liked to run over into rocks."

slmoto

Quote from: dub on May 21, 2017, 10:36:25 PM
Super cool, I'm envious. Gotta get a dual sport so I can come with next time.

We're looking to do another overnighter towards Downieville once more snow melts. The only street portion would be gassing up in Downieville so you should be able to get away without plates. You could do it on your 300 if you have the range and ability to tolerate sitting on a 2-stroke for that long.

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

It's not about the plate. I could plate my 300. It's about the impracticality of dual sport rides on a 2-stroke.

slmoto

Quote from: dub on May 24, 2017, 10:15:11 AM
It's not about the plate. I could plate my 300. It's about the impracticality of dual sport rides on a 2-stroke.

I hear ya. My 300 is plated but I wouldn't do it on mine either.

dub

There are definitely people who dual sport 2-strokes, I'm just not really interested in being one of them. I have a friend that did Baja on his 300. He carried A GALLON of oil with him. There is a right tool for every job...