Main Menu

Animal Ark 2017

Started by GreenMachine, April 16, 2017, 07:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Renee, one of the new handlers.  She prefers to feed the wildlife by hand.  Still has all her fingers.

The need for speed cats that talk when fed.

Their latest addition, a mix Bengal, the largest of the cats.  Fully grown she'll be 7 - 9 feet long and weigh about 300 lbs.

Only thing preventing me from taking you down is this fence.

Tiger rubbing up against the fence.  Fox trying to get some shut-eye.  Don't worry, some screaming brats came along and it retired to the back of its pen where nobody could see it.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Do they let you pet the cats?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

I'm assuming you mean in reference to the third pic from the bottom.  That's Aaron, a co-founder of Animal Ark.  Interesting story to hear him talk at length about the program, the animals, and where they are going with things.  After adopting this Bengal a few months back, he handled it without the protection of fences and gates.  The Bengal has bonded with him, which is reflected in it rubbing up against the fence when he and only he comes near the fence, but as it's size has increased, so too has its instinctual aggression,  At this point it's too dangerous.  The cat looks for weaknesses in the enclosure and will leap at it if you turn your back to it, like it would taking down prey.  Even when it was more of a cub, it would play bite him standing with its paws on his shoulders.   He would explain, you cannot show fear.  They sense it and it changes their behavior in an instant.

All the cats at the Ark go through the motions of pretending to hide from visitors, whether or not you can see them, in a position of premeditated ambush.  They have plexiglass viewing areas next to each pen for better viewing, which takes away the cyclone fence barrier.  Of interest to the predators are children and babies.  Some people will put their babies right up next to the windows with these big cats directly on the other side.  Of course, they're going to attack and they do, much to the surprise of the startled parents.  Most often though, they just swipe with their paws.  It only takes a raw turkey leg to impress upon the audience the strength within their bone crushing jaws.  Handlers are instructed to feed the animals, if they do so through the fencing, by using metal salad tongs, as they've found the Bobcats can reach through the fencing and grab handlers fingers and arms.  One of their two mountain lions always bashes the fencing when food is offered through it. 

Visitors are prevented from going up to any enclosure's fencing, however through odd circumstance, the abundant jackrabbits and birds have been known to get inside them, to their own peril.

The Cheetahs are the least aggressive of the big cats.  They seem to be the least concerned with adult humans venturing around their pen.  Rabbits and small moving prey on the other hand...  Not turning your back to any of the cats seems to be the common theme.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 17, 2017, 11:11:02 AMI'm assuming you mean in reference to the third pic from the bottom.

No. I just want to pet a Tiger.

GreenMachine

Become a volunteer or a large donor.  I'm sure those are two avenues.

dub

How much do these volunteers get paid?

GreenMachine

If you'd like to pet a Cheetah, that might be able to be arranged...maybe.  They mentioned they run the Cheetahs every Thursday evening before dusk.  If I call them and ask to attend, I think the only obstacle is the $15 general admission charge.  The Cheetah 500 even is something like $40 and is only run about once a month.

Let me know if you are any of you are interested.  The larger the group the better chance we can get a discount and perhaps some additional handling privileges.

dub

So you are saying I should go when they run the Cheetahs, chase one down, tackle it, then pet it's ears? Got it.

Vegasrider

Quote from: dub on April 17, 2017, 11:44:12 AM
How much do these volunteers get paid?

Seriously? The word Volunteer is a hint. 

dub

Quote from: Vegasrider on April 17, 2017, 07:24:37 PMSeriously? The word Volunteer is a hint.

Yeah, and I'm also serious about chasing down a cheetah on foot to pet his ears. Have your sarcasm meter calibrated.

Vegasrider

Unfortunately, in today's world, there isn't enough people who volunteer.  So when the words of "How much do I get paid" is very typical.  Everyone should donate their time to some worthy cause.  And if they can't due to time constraint, a monetary or some form of a material donation is always an option.  I am a dog lover, so I do my best to provide my time at the NHS.

GreenMachine

:clap to you Kenny for not only talking the talk, but walking the walk, literally.

I consider the money I've given or paid admission fees or gift store purchases to Animal Ark a worthy cause in my book too. 

Vegasrider

Where is the Ark anyways?

GreenMachine

Google Map

Not to be mistaken with the other enclosed zoo located near the same turnoff on I-395.  Animal Ark is a bit of a drive north of that on N. Red Rock Road.