Main Menu

Ride to Death Valley 3/25-27

Started by RichVee4, March 04, 2017, 05:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Early spring get away to Death Valley to enjoy the wildflowers and warm temps, average temp for March is 82.  Peak season for wildflowers is Feb-March. This is a Sat - Mon ride, first night Lone Pine.  Day 2 will be in Death Valley with exploring and short hikes.

The Mrs and I are going and would be open to one or two more riders.  This is a touring ride, we will pick up some nice roads but majority will be straight long hwy riding.  Bringing camera and will be looking for photo stops along the way.

Sights
Artist Dr.  ( worth looking at on youtube if your not familiar with)
Bad Water basin, lowest point in US
Dante's View

Route is 395 south, so weather needs to cooperate for this to happen.

Let me know if your interested.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

:announc

In.  Don't think there are any conflicts in my schedule. Let's hope the weather gives us a nice window to squeeze through.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

:GrnWheelie   Sweet, you can help carry some of the Mrs gear..  Actually if you remember the OorB trip she didnt bring much and was the first one at the bikes in the morning.  We have a reservation for the first night at Best Western in Lone Pine ~$90, so you can make plans.   

Still considering night two, Sunday.  Could do out and back from Lone Pine or what I am leaning toward is exit Death Valley East into NV then loop around to Bishop for night two. That is a 263 mile loop, but 105 miles are from Lone Pine to Death Valley so would be ~160 miles to loop around to Bishop.  Figuring Sunday night will be easy to find a hotel so I am not overly concerned where we end up. 

Vegasrider

I think I've ridden through Artist Dr.  I recalled it may have been one way, minature Badlands Nat'l Park. The ride from Death Valley towards 395 is epic, just seeing the backdrop of the snow capped Sierra's was very impressive when I did that run.   

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

If one or two people are interested we can share a double queen room.  The cost has already gone up to $120+/night.   :-\

Must be peak season price gouging.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

One more person would be great to so you could split the room cost.  I signed up for their rewards so that's why it was a little less, with tax 100. 

RichVee4

This map section from Butler maps shows the start of day 2 into Death Valley some good mc roads.  Its 106 miles from Lone Pine to Furnace Creek.

GreenMachine

We should get together for the fun of it to go over some of these ideas.  What do you think?  Do you have any time in the next week or so?  I could swing by or we could meet at a pub or something.

GreenMachine

Offer to share the cost of the room going once.  Going twice...

RichVee4

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 07, 2017, 10:11:47 PM
We should get together for the fun of it to go over some of these ideas.  What do you think?  Do you have any time in the next week or so?  I could swing by or we could meet at a pub or something.

Works for me.  I will msg you.

GreenMachine

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 08, 2017, 07:25:06 AM
Offer to share the cost of the room going once.  Going twice...
Booked!

Found a deal through Travel Advisor, right off of Google Maps.  So my rate won't be so bad, unless this is the one cheap room next to the check-in office or the stairs or the main highway.   :o

Who cares.  I'm soooo excited already.  Gonna have to condition myself this weekend by going on a preliminary ride.

Thanks guys for taking the lead on this.  Can't wait too for OoB III.   :banana2

GreenMachine

Sorry, Trip Advisor.  But I had a bit of confusion this morning.  After setting the arrival/departure dates and booking, I reviewed the confirmation, which said I had up until the 18th to cancel without penalty.  Doh!  Somehow it booked my reservation for the 19th?

Since the reservation was minutes old there was no way to change it online, so I called instead.  Found out that Costco has discounts through Best Western too, which dropped my rate 12%.  Not bad.  Reserved for the 25th now.  Happy again.

RichVee4

I'm always afraid I will book the wrong date when doing online reservations.  Good you caught the error now.

GreenMachine

All set.  I think my front tire is a close to worn, but it's a hard touring tire so I think it'll be okay.  Other than that, just have to toughen up in the saddle.