Main Menu

Ride ideas??

Started by RichVee4, February 28, 2017, 04:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Looking for some ideas for a day dirt ride east of Reno, somewhere around Fernley or Hazen would be ideal.   I would like to have some other options until the snow melts off the Sierras and things dry out some.  I've done the track in Fernley so not interested in that, looking for more dirt road exploring or adventure riding.   

I've done one ride at Winnemmuca Lake area east of Pyramid Lake that was good.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Not ignoring.  Just too new to riding the terrain we have to offer any cool ideas.

When's the wife joining the dirt riding group?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Lots of good trails at Nightingale, not sure what the snow situation is though, my guess would be clear down low but peaks may have some snow still.

It's east of Pyramid Lake, a bit past Fernley/Hazen.
https://goo.gl/maps/QdFSFG9yWZP2

*Watch out for trails heading out into the desert from the Fernley track, they'll get your knees. :hbang
Just joking  but from the little ride I did out on the trails from the Fernley track there was nothing too exciting or worth exploring that I saw.

RichVee4

I've been looking at google maps in the area around Fernley, north of 80.  There are some dirt roads that head east 1/2 mile or so from the truck stop and intersect power lines that have a service road.  That service road heads north for many many miles toward Black Rock Desert going through the Nightingale area.  Its s decent climb as you head north but worth investigating.

I've driven by the area a few times this week and from what I can see the snow up high is very minimal if any in that range.

And good reminder, be extra cautious for wash outs after all the rain we've had :)

dub

How about Jungo Road from Gerlach to Winnemucca?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Have you done that one? From what I can remember its a super slab dirt road.   I'm pretty certain I crossed that road on my way to hike King Lear Peak, north of Jungo.  One the way back we got on the road you mention at Jungo and took it into Winnemucca.     

cobra23

I have not ridden all the way to Winnemucca but have camped at two of the Hot Springs next to the Playa, along the road.

The road itself is a superslab, but there is a lot of interesting terrain next to it.

RichVee4

That is a great picture, amazing backdrop and composition.   I haven't explored that area yet so good suggestion.   Where did you stage at?  I've been looking at luggage options for the dirt bike so need to figure something out before doing an overnight.    Anyone use a loop style bag and have any pro or cons?

cobra23

We have camped at Black Rock hot springs, and two other hot springs on the southern edge of the Playa. Black Rock hot springs is probably a no go as you cannot get across the Playa yet. it is covered with water.

The Winnemucca road will get you to the two other hot springs. Both are nice places to camp. I think the second one is called "Trego", if I remember correctly it is about 13 miles form the paved road (447) east to Trego.

cobra23

One problem would be fresh water on a motorcycle. There is none.

I have a travel trailer, we stage in that and run around on the bikes. It has plenty of water, a generator, and most of all a "heater".... heaters are really nice.

RichVee4

Thats a smart way to camp, bring a trailer with some amenities and a fridge for a cold beer.   I'll probably do a day trip for now and trailer to Gerlach area once things dry out a little more.

My one ride around Winnemucca lake I learned that dry lake beds aren't so dry in the winter.  I remember riding across the dry lake and feeling like I was loosing power until I looked down and realized my bike was filling up with mud, it packed in everywhere.  We made it to the edge but just barely.   Where the playa is dry riding across reminded me of powder skiing.

cobra23

Yup... got stuck in the Fernley sink once, two hours of pushing and pulling to get the XR out of the mud suction then finally my wife took her quad out to the edge and found enough scrap wood to build a "launch dock" so I could lift the bike up on to the dock get about a 20 foot run at the mud and get out of there. I was exhausted. Just picture launching a water skier off of a dock, that's about what we did. I could not get the bike to move in the mud from a standstill, we had to build a dock.

Anyway I sketched out a little map. I think it would be an easy one day deal a littel over 100 miles from Gerlach to Winnemucca, I would carry GPS as it can get confusing out there. If you want some company let me know. I would have to haul the XR to Gerlach, as it would suck riding that thing 70 miles from Fernley, the XR is not geared for that kind of freeway riding. The XR totally tops out at 70.

I try to get my riding buddies from Washington down here every spring, we may do a camp-out with the trailer, but it is too early to say. Taking the 25 foot travel trailer up the road marked "49" is slow as it can be bumpy but we made it out to the hot springs marked 1, 1a, and 2. The bike trailer went out to number three, as it is much smaller, we slept in the bike trailer on that trip.

I would like to scout the Winnemucca route, (road 49). soon as it warms up a bit. Let me know, unless you just want to solo it.

dub

I've camped and ridden from Frog Pond hot springs, which is just about 4 miles closer (to Gerlach) on Jungo Rd. There is some excellent single track out there. And there are roads and roads for miles if you just want to explore dirt roads.

This photo was taken from the ridge just southwest of Razorback mountain, looking towards the playa.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Amazing scenery. Looks like a perfect area to explore for a spring ride.  Thinking I will head out there early April.  I'll post up before I go to see if anyone whats to join.

RichVee4

Quote from: cobra23 on March 06, 2017, 10:41:51 PM

I would like to scout the Winnemucca route, (road 49). soon as it warms up a bit. Let me know, unless you just want to solo it.

Your not missing much on 49 East of Jungo,  which is about 1/2 way to Winnemucca on your map.  I drove that part in a FJ on our way back from a hiking trip on the east edge of Black Rock. Its mostly a straight shot through some farms and ranches.   The scenery gets much better north of Jungo following the mtns.