Main Menu

2016 SSA Fecta - Roll Call - Saturday 07/16/16

Started by GreenMachine, July 14, 2016, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

All SSA rides in one day!
Not a tri-fecta.  Better!  A Fecta.  Everything.

This is a full day's ride with as many breaks as necessary, but breaks slow everything down and will make it impossible to complete.  No coffee to start with, so that'll put me on the road 30 minutes sooner right away!  I'm going with or without others, so if you want to partner up for a portion of the route, here's how I plan on taking it.

I'll start out by hitting Monitor after dawn and work my way north, down hwy 50, Icehouse, Eleven Pines, MRR, Dog Valley road, hwy 49, etc.

South Route start 15 minutes prior to dawn (5:45 AM), thus 5:30 AM.  Sunset is at 8:30 PM, so we'll need to keep hustling to get it all in.  Something to think about: we've never finished before dark.

Approximate ride distance is only 600 miles for those out to accomplish the ride feat.  Shorter for those seeking to partner up for shorter legs of the ride.

Past History of the SSA Fecta

Saturday 06/14/2014 *** MORE INFO IN POSTS BELOW ***
Meet up is at the Maverick Country Store gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout).

We depart Maverik as soon as all the posted riders show up or 5:15 AM
(sunrise is 5:31 AM), whichever comes first.

If we're going to do it, might as well do it while the weather isn't too hot (forecast for 90̊ in the lower foothills), 80̊ for Reno, morning low is suppose to be 51̊. 

For those who don't know what this ride is, I'll give a brief history.  There once was a ride referred to as the Tri-Fecta, taking in Yuba, La Porte & Buck's Lake (three passes).  I don't recall ever hearing of anyone who attempted that ride and it was thought to be an insane amount of riding to do for one day anyway. 

Along comes TahoeBrian5 and his long rides.  He was interested in the Tri-Fecta, but comes up with the idea of the Fecta, all the SSA rides in one day.   Now that would be insane!!!  Less VC & the truck route, that ride was accomplished in 2011 by the following SSA members:

1) TahoeBrian5
2) SparkyGixxer
3) BigCat
4) GreenMachine

To our credit however, the last two passes in the Tri-Fecta were done in laps.   It was a very long day, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.  Epic!

It's a quest ride that requires stamina, a love for riding, a good riding pace, an adventurous attitude, and willpower. 

The ride starts near dawn, should cover over 600 miles and completes sometime around or after dusk.  Meet up is at the Maverick gas station (hwy 341 & the roundabout). Yes at the base of VC highway & 395/I580.

This is your roll call.  I'm going.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

Hard core! I'm deciding whether to head out to San Jose tomorrow evening for some Motogymkhana action.  I love honing my skills riding around cones.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Want me to meet you at the Chevron in South Lake?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Vegasrider on July 14, 2016, 06:32:21 PM
Hard core! I'm deciding whether to head out to San Jose tomorrow evening for some Motogymkhana action.  I love honing my skills riding around cones.
An overnight?  What's the primary destination/ride location?

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 14, 2016, 09:24:16 PM
Want me to meet you at the Chevron in South Lake?

So your plan is to start from Maverik, do Geiger/VC/Truck route, then down and do Monitor before heading up to Highway 50?

If that's the case I will meet you at the 7-11 on 395 as you are leaving Gardnerville. We can ride down 395 and do 89 Westbound, over Monitor, through Markleeville, over Luther and into Meyers. If you are leaving at 5:15, I'll be there at 6:30.

GreenMachine

The 7-11 is out of the way for both of us.  I'm on the same route as last year.  Meet me at the Maverik 395 & hwy 89 in Minden at 6:30 instead. If I don't hear back from you, I'll ride to the 7-11.  It's not that far away.  Maverik will put you at the same distance and me too, without riding out of our way.

Route
Actually at that time of morning, before dawn, I will be skipping VC.  It's not a scheduled ride, technically.  So Reno straight to Minden.  I can easily be there by 6:30 AM.

Plan is to follow the normal Reno to Monitor route, so Reno, Markleeville, Monitor, up and over (picture), back, jump onto 88, then Luther, S. Lake, Meyers, 50 Icehouse and you know the rest.

I like that there's someone else who likes motorcycle riding as much as I do.  :thumbup

I'm bringing water with a lunch sandwich in a cool bag with ice for tomorrow.   Let's kill this thing!

dub

Oh, I see, over and back on Monitor. Not East to West.

See you at the Minden Maverik.

GreenMachine

:thumbup

We can stop for a quick Sun-up pick to match with the Sun-down pick...unless we beat the damn thing!  ;D

dub

We will make great time with just the two of us. I remember back in 2014 that guy on the sport touring BMW held us up for the first half of the ride before he gave up and bugged out.

RichVee4

You guys have fun, if you included 36 I would have considered going  :)  My work schedule took me to Sonora today so was able to "drive" Sonora and Carson pass today, dont think either of those are on your route.  Sonora was busier than I've would have thought, but Carson wasnt bad.   Would have been much more enjoyable if I could have taken the bike.   
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on July 15, 2016, 08:01:46 PM
We will make great time with just the two of us. I remember back in 2014 that guy on the sport touring BMW held us up for the first half of the ride before he gave up and bugged out.
Welcome to  :flagSSA

:surrender

:hiding

We can consider this as an alternate.  It doesn't matter.  When we make Foresthill we can either take the standard longer and faster route to Auburn & I-80 or the slightly shorter and slower route to Iowa Hill.  One goes left.  One goes right.  Don't matter to me.  We still end up in Colfax. 

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on July 15, 2016, 08:22:32 PM
You guys have fun, if you included 36 I would have considered going  :)  My work schedule took me to Sonora today so was able to "drive" Sonora and Carson pass today, dont think either of those are on your route.  Sonora was busier than I've would have thought, but Carson wasnt bad.   Would have been much more enjoyable if I could have taken the bike.
If you get a wild hair, we're generally in the Colfax area heading towards Dog Valley around noon to 1 PM, if you want to intercept us.  Several others have done that in the past.  If you do, I can check my cellphone for SSA PMs or I think you can text me.  Ride with us for however much you like, them split for home.  I can let you know our ETA at various destinations.   Easy to intercept us, but we will be moving...trucking along.

GreenMachine

Good night SSA.  See you tomorrow night. 

:doggy

GreenMachine

On time.  C U soon!

Debating whether it'll be safe enough to try VC, CC, Minden.  Will see here in a bit.