Main Menu

2016 SSA Fecta - Roll Call - Saturday 07/16/16

Started by GreenMachine, July 14, 2016, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Looking good guys.  Fun riding with you for awhile on your quest today.   That is a feat not many could accomplish, well done!! 

:cheers

Pics moved by moderator <here>
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

I think that might be my longest day on the bike.

674.3 mi
Total Time: 14:56
Moving Time 12:49
Stopped Time 2:07
Moving Avg: 53 mph
Overall Avg 45 mph
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Wow!  That was awesome.  A good ass kicking is what I needed.  But not from CHP.  Ask Dub.  That guy was crowding our lane, so screw him!  You tell him Dub!!   :crackup

Trip counter on mine showed 702, door to door.  What's another hundred miles when you were expecting 600, right? 

Oh man, that first 350 was a cake walk compared to the last 350!  Didn't seem like it at the time, because even after 350 I was fresh.  But today!  :hangover  Not so much.  I'm beat, mostly mentally.  What a way to spend an exhaustive time on the bike though, doing what you love, riding with your favorite roads with your friends. 

I had a panic attack though when we stopped for a water break at the top of Bucks.  Dub was going over his trip map and it wasn't showing our full path.  Don't tell me we have to do this again?!!!  Allllllllll rrrrrrright!  Set it and let's start over.

Uploading pics in a few. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

You guys our crazy.   GM, your bike has over 100k?

I'm back from my  little road trip as well.  Traffic is crazy in California, so congested.  Thank god for lane splitting, but it does wear you out.  I was lucky, pretty much zero CHP's, my average speed on 80 was about 85 indicated when it was free and clear, running with no radar.   My new Pilot Road 4'a are great!

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

I haven't checked the trip log in my GPS to see what it recorded yet.

I tried to make a map of our route in Google maps, but I couldn't do it inside the 10 waypoint limit.

So I made a map of our route in Bing maps, which lets you have many more waypoints. Except they don't let you share a map with more than 10 destinations. So it's sitting in my browser but I can't post the link.

I'm not sure why the state of online maps is so crappy right now. The old Google maps was excellent. Then they made it shitty with the new version; I've mostly gotten used to it, but there are some limitations you just can't get around.

GreenMachine

I'm having the same trouble.  You can abbreviate by stringing destinations, like Nevada City to Quincy, then drag various points on the map to position the true route taken, but it fails when I'm close to the end.  I think there are too many deviations from what it wants to be as the route and goes ape crazy.

I can't get it to map MRR & 11 Pines at all.  It does not register as a valid route, but jeep roads further east are.  If you skip from Placerville to Foresthill, it'll just take the main road through Georgetown.  Best I could get it to show was 679 miles, but then when I looked at the map, it had ruined my route over Monitor and I couldn't get it to adjust. 

POS!

This one is about as close as I can get and it's completely retarded about MRR. 11 Pines & ForestHill.

I think this gives the general idea.

Was another excellent day for riding.  Nothing bad happened to us, we navigated all the swept on gravel and didn't take any excursions off of La Porte, we got to give a little thrill to a couple riders, that touring guy on Monitor and the dirt bike kid at Bucks, got our picture taken along the way by some really nice people, who navigated us safely through a transmission oil spill (THANK YOU RICH!), we got to chum around with them and along the way, the roads we took weren't too too crowded that it was a problem.  No stoppages for road construction.   Not too many hidden surprises and none we couldn't handle, like the water draining across the road out by French Meadows Reservoir or the cattle grate that was so deep I thought I was going to break my rear swingarm off.

So many great little hidden spots.  Got to survey the damage of the King Fire.  Got to get our kicks on some great Sierra roads en mass and home before dark...so a lot less danger from deer out feeding before dark. 

We quested this thing and we conquered it, again. :banana2  Feel pretty good to say that.

slmoto

Have you guys tried downloading Google Earth? I've been playing around with it lately and have had better luck building routes off the beaten path.
https://www.google.com/earth/

There are a lot more functions available but in terms of sharing anyone trying to view the link would probably have to download Google Earth as well because it appears when you try and open on Google Maps (which is an option) a lot of what you create goes missing.

GreenMachine

I have.  I started using it when it came out around 2006.  Was the coolest thing since sliced bread.   I'd create 3-D fly-overs, saving them in the default KMZ format.  From what I understand there's a way to export the KMZ file to other devices, but have been unsuccessful and there hasn't been a great need for it. 

The automotive GPS units I have wouldn't accept the format anyway.  I imagine there's an APP for cellphones though that could probably do it.

dub

Quote from: slmoto on July 19, 2016, 07:31:21 AMbecause it appears when you try and open on Google Maps (which is an option) a lot of what you create goes missing.

That's due to the same limitation I was talking about; you can only have 10 destinations. I have a bunch of route's created with old google maps that I saved as links to reference later. But when you click the link, it opens them in new google maps and the same thing happens; a bunch of the route I created is missing.

Sub-Sonic

Nice Ride guys,  that's way past my daily limit.

GreenMachine

There's the man!  Sup!

Occasionally I'll check on some of the bay area forums and see Mine's road rides listed.  You been doing much riding lately?  Got any new videos?

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: GreenMachine on July 20, 2016, 08:19:09 AM
There's the man!  Sup!

Occasionally I'll check on some of the bay area forums and see Mine's road rides listed.  You been doing much riding lately?  Got any new videos?

Riding Japan again this summer (see private area for report).  Early Sat/Sun mornings there are some fast guys that ride Mines, have hooked up once with them.  Also been riding 49 a good bit too.

If I can get the right type of bike or put handlebars on mine, I will try a Fecta with you guys eventually.

GreenMachine

I wouldn't think you'd be the type for this kind of ride.  It's not all smooth road either. 

But you'd be welcome to give it a go.  Most who've started usually complete it.  I believe we've only had one rider who gave in half way through.   Look into it.