Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Rotopax help

Started by Vegasrider, April 28, 2016, 11:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

Anyone have one? Wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to mount it. Plenty of YouTube videos but not seem to help. I'm wondering if I'm missing a piece or two. I have the Alt Rider luggage rack, Rotopax container, lock and supposedly the hardware to mount it.  Assembly is not my greatest strength.

slmoto

I bought one for my KLR but haven't mounted it yet because I haven't finished building the racks. Looks pretty straight forward, though. Either mount the round plate to your rack or the upright base to your rack then the RotopaX slips right on and screw the t-handle tight. Your rack should already have holes to accept the RotopaX mounting hardware, if not use the plate to mark them then drill away.

http://www.revzilla.com/assets/0000/3520/rotopa_xlox_pack_mount.pdf

GreenMachine

Interesting.  I've never seen this concept applied to road bikes.

Vr, how far do you think your bike can go now on a tank and how much will the Rotopax add to that?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 28, 2016, 05:13:10 PM
Interesting.  I've never seen this concept applied to road bikes.

Vr, how far do you think your bike can go now on a tank and how much will the Rotopax add to that?

I was assuming he'd be putting some knobbies or 50/50's on the Multistrada and get into some back country...

Vegasrider

GM, I can get around 200ish doing highways.  Has a 5.2 gallon tank so I get about mid 40's.  In the city, it's mid 35's.  One thing I don't like about the Multi is the fuel range.  With the one gallon Rotopax container, it will get me another 40-50 miles if I need it.  I like to have that insurance if I decide to push it to the next fuel stop.  I hate stopping, and when I travel I always pre-plan my fuel stops but if I think I can stretch it, I like to have that option.

I'm thinking of heading to Yosemite Saturday morning and I would like to have the Rotopax. 

GreenMachine

You're an intense rider!  You'll probably need to go in from the north entrance.  Are you riding to/from Reno & Yosemite in one day?  Great idea.

Take pictures.  You should be plenty fine without the extra gallon on this trip, in case you cannot get it installed before hand.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Not sure your route but so you know,  Tioga pass is not open yet from 395 west.   Would have to enter from CA side.  Waterfalls should be flowing nice this year.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Pic is from Tioga about a week ago.
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

Well that sucks, yes I was planning to enter from 395 going up Tioga. If the bicycle made it up, maybe a motorcycle could too. Will have to check Caltran and get an update.