Main Menu

Advance Rider Clinic by CCSO Motor Unit June 4

Started by Vegasrider, May 24, 2016, 06:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

The Carson City Sheriff's Motor Unit will be providing an Advanced Rider Course on Saturday, June 4th.  This class is designed around the same training that the motor officers go through.  Lot's of precision cornering and slow speed maneuvers.  You receive a certificate of completion if you complete the class. Although you may not be a cop, you can ride like one.  $150, class is limited to 12 riders.  I've already signed up.  More info can be found on the CCSO Motor's Facebook Page. 

Are you up for the challenge? I am.

https://www.facebook.com/ccsomotorunit/

RichVee4

Have dirt plans that day already, but would be interested to hear if you learned some new techniques.   Would be curious to hear their thoughts on side by side riding, seems they prefer to ride that way but all other training I've seen suggests staggering.   
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

Too bad you can't make it.  I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for Q's and A's.  I'll be sure to ask that question on your behalf.  I just hope the class won't be infiltrated with a bunch of Hogs with riders who can't ride although it's advertised as Advanced, and not for beginners.  I'm not even going to remove my panniers. 

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Havent had the chance to ask a MC officer myself, and like to keep it that way!
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

Apparent 5 have signed up, we just need 1 more to make this class a go. It can accommodate up to 12. I'm surprised nobody is up for the challenge to finally show off their riding skills in front of the cops.

GreenMachine

What do you mean?  I show off every weekend and risk the privilege of paying them to see it.   ;D
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: Vegasrider on May 27, 2016, 04:02:35 PM
Apparent 5 have signed up, we just need 1 more to make this class a go. It can accommodate up to 12. I'm surprised nobody is up for the challenge to finally show off their riding skills in front of the cops.

Looks like a fun challenge but too pricey to ride around some cones.

Vegasrider

Quote from: slmoto on May 27, 2016, 05:50:34 PM
Quote from: Vegasrider on May 27, 2016, 04:02:35 PM

Looks like a fun challenge but too pricey to ride around some cones.

True, the price of the class is equivalent to a tracday. But the majority of the riders, and possibly yourself do not have the skills to go around the cones. It's not an easy course.  There aren't very many riders who have the skills to put their bike where and when they want to every time. You see so many riders paddle walk their bikes, which is perfectly fine. But wouldn't you rather be the one who can do it riding. Slow speed manuevers , such as parking the bike are everyday skills that a rider uses, if they can do it.

slmoto

I'm fairly confident I could get through on my KLR and obviously on my smaller dirt bike (but that would be cheating), I practice slow speed maneuvering often in the dirt and a lot of the technical dirt riding it's critical to be able to put your bike where you want it. I doubt I could get through very well on my GSXR though, I can navigate parking lots and such just fine but through a particularly tight course would be tough especially the tight 360 turn. I'm just not willing to part with $150 to find out.

Vegasrider

Yeah, doing it on a Dual sport would be like cheating.  I was kind of surprised on the cost of the class too, but it comes with a free get out of jail card .

slmoto

Quote from: Vegasrider on May 29, 2016, 10:52:27 AM
but it comes with a free get out of jail card .

If that were actually true then it would be well worth it.

Vegasrider

Well you kind of receive a free get out of jail card. You do receive a certificate of completion and it allows you to get to know one another. I doubt you would receive a ticket from any one of them after taking the class unless you're doing something really out of line. There are only 5 Motors, I have yet to see one while I'm down riding in that area.

Vegasrider

Mission accomplished.  There were five riders, one poor guy crashing his nice HD something like 3 times.  Then he disappears and returns on a Street Triple.  Crashed hard on that, and got hurt.   He ruined 2 bikes.  I pretty much just honed my skills, I was able to do pretty much what they set up.  Except when they set up a 17 foot circle, I had a 50% success rate completing a 350 degrees without knocking down a cone.  We also discussed about motorcycle laws.  Did some two abreast riding, group pull outs and parking.  Yes there is an organization to this.  Interesting fact, when  a group of riders is stopped at a stop sign and you are all tight, two abreast.  Once the lead pair takes off, the bikes behind them does not have to stop at the stop sign.  The motor officers said that the group is now considered one vehicle, like a train.  It's one unit.  But the key is that you remain as a tight unit, if you create a gap, or end up staggered, the unit becomes broken and then you are expected to stop.  We also played some cone games.  That was a lot of fun.  Last man standing, all six riders enter a confined box with various obstacles placed inside the box.  Object is to make the other rider hit a cone or get trapped where they can't turn around and end up going out of bounds or put a foot down.  Lots of slow speed, tight turns while applying a strategy.  Pretty dangerous though, lots of potential for crashes if you don't have a good control of your bike.  I did manage to beat out each of the motor instructors.

GreenMachine

You'll have to share more of these concepts next time we group ride.

Congrats!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.