Main Menu

Henness Pass ride II, June 4

Started by RichVee4, May 04, 2016, 06:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

There's a fair amount of tree cover through the route so hopefully that will help with the heat, will be dusty though.

Good idea on the potentially going for a swim, I'll pack some shorts.

You get your dirt bike starting issues worked out?

GreenMachine

I had planned on addressing it either tonight or tomorrow night.

I was thinking of just jumping in as is.  Maybe taking the boots off.  The rest of the gear could use a wash anyway.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 02, 2016, 11:31:35 AM
I was thinking of just jumping in as is.  Maybe taking the boots off.  The rest of the gear could use a wash anyway.

I thought about that as well but riding in the dust with wet clothes you'll end up dirtier than you started.

GreenMachine

True.  A risk I'm willing to take.  Then again, all my gear might come out smelling like stale fishy lake water.  Blech!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Like the swimming option, by the afternoon it will be warm and we'll be covered in dust.  I've worn shorts under my riding pants before so that's an easy option.   The bend in the river at D'ville sounds pretty good too, as long and the current isnt to high :)

Havent discussed start time yet, but was thinking getting started no later than 9am.  If no objections, we will plan for 9.   

My thought on routes is to take the quick way to D'ville on Henness pass.  Some of the route is unknown so would like to have the extra time in the morning to find our way and not be rushed plus allow some time for the unexpected.   Also, D'ville will be the hottest part so the earlier we get there and out the better.  Once in D'ville we will have a better idea of our time schedule and can do some exploring on the N side of 49.  That map I posted is a 9mile (on way) ride to a fire lookout.  Thought it would be nice to get up high so we can see the area better.      The dirt roads cross all over in that area, we could even come out on La Port rd.
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

Sounds good, I'll be at the small lot where Henness turns to dirt at 9am.
https://goo.gl/maps/74gQZiHY6xs

I'm fine with exploring D'ville. I don't know how far up Henness Pass they graded but the portion from Verdi to 89 is graded and it's almost like a paved road so we'll make pretty good time. I think we'll be fine heat wise, it's mostly high speeds in tree cover, I wasn't the slightest bit hot on any of the ride in the same area last weekend.

I'll have a tail bag if anyone needs me to carry anything small for them.

GreenMachine

I'm finding it hard to get motivated for riding dirt tomorrow.  Record heat.  92 - 99 degrees, in gear on a slow dirt bike.   I think you guys should reschedule, but it's your call. 

I hate to flake and I know you guys will probably find a way to make the best of it, but seriously, this sounds like a good idea up against far less than ideal weather.  I did some preliminary reading on heat stroke.  Our organs start to shut down at a core temperature of 105 degrees.  I would imagine you guys will be pushing something close to that tomorrow at times.  Seems dirt riders, even fit pros can die when outdoor temps are only 90 degrees.

Common symptoms of heat stroke include:

•     Nausea
        Confusion
        Seizures
        Headache
        Rapid heartbeat/breathing
        Cramps
        Dry, hot skin
So I'm going to gracefully back out of this one and find something a little less worrying to do.  :doggy  Be smart tomorrow.  Hydrate, water down your gear and above all, be safe!

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 03, 2016, 05:46:47 PMI would imagine you guys will be pushing something close to that tomorrow at times.

What are you basing this on? Just a wild-ass guess, I'm assuming? Or have to previously gone dirt biking in similar conditions and brought along a thermometer to monitor your core temperature?

It's only going to be in the 80s tomorrow up in the mountains where you guys are headed. I'm sure if you stay hydrated your body will be able to regulate it's temperature just fine, as usual. It's not like you are racing two practices, qualifying, and two motos at a national outdoor event tomorrow; you are just cruising a fire road.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

I was surprised D'ville forecast is actually cooler than here, high of 86 tomorrow and well be out of there before its that warm.   Higher elevations will be perfect, low 80's, the only warm part will be when we get back into Reno.    I've ridden in much warmer temps on the street which I think is much worse, hot bike, heavier gear, etc.  We are taking our camel back so will stay hydrated and should be a great trip.   There are lots of lakes and streams along the way we can cool down if needed.     

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.5593&lon=-120.8269#.V1JTtfkrK00

GreenMachine

Quote from: dub on June 03, 2016, 07:48:47 PM
Quote from: GreenMachine on June 03, 2016, 05:46:47 PMI would imagine you guys will be pushing something close to that tomorrow at times.

What are you basing this on? Just a wild-ass guess, I'm assuming? Or have to previously gone dirt biking in similar conditions and brought along a thermometer to monitor your core temperature?

It's only going to be in the 80s tomorrow up in the mountains where you guys are headed. I'm sure if you stay hydrated your body will be able to regulate it's temperature just fine, as usual. It's not like you are racing two practices, qualifying, and two motos at a national outdoor event tomorrow; you are just cruising a fire road.
ha-ha.  That sounds like something a coach would tell his players while they suited up for football practice.

I don't know. :dunno  I just know there's a point, depending on humidity, where no matter how much you sweat, the body cannot cool itself properly.  And I'd feel terrible in one of my buddies suffered organ failure or died because they were unaware of the risk they were exposing themselves to, while riding in record high temperatures. 

I learned about it in Meteorology.  A concept called Web Bulb temperature.  It's used more so in humid climates, like the South, but under the conditions where people would normally expose themselves, like when wearing pants or shorts and a T-shirt.  Out West, we're less familiar with the term, but the concept is still the same if you smother your skin.  If your sweat doesn't cool sufficiently, your core temperature will go up and your body will rely on its ability to cool itself through respiratory means, like dogs do.  We depend on low relative humidity to promote evaporative cooling, which allows our bodies to tolerate higher outdoor temperatures here out West.

For instance, football players are ideal candidates for heat stroke, because the gear they wear suffocates their body's ability to cool itself properly.  Seems like a fair comparison to a dirt bike rider in gear.  Football players do die and still die today from heat stroke because nobody made them aware of the peril they were putting themselves in when they geared up.  The coach probably didn't know. And who'd be there to question the coach?  Certainly not one of the players!  And certainly not one with "some wild-assed guess" about the conditions necessary for heat stroke.  You probably won't see many people suited up tomorrow playing football outdoors.  But dirt riding in gear is on tomorrow's menu.

92 degrees outside was the forecast for D-ville, but now it's 90.  That gives them a 15° degree window of relative safety.  Although, people don't even need the higher outdoor temperatures if they have any type of perspiration or respiratory problem.  So there's that to consider too.  Rich and SL don't seem to have respiratory issues at least, but I don't know that for certain.  Do you?

Seems like a logical extension that if the outdoor temps were 97 degrees when they return to Verdi, with riding gear and depending on wind and humidity, there's clear potential for heat stroke.  I suppose a fair question in response would be "what kind of core temperatures do you observe while dirt riding in 90+ degree heat?"  Right?  Since you're so sure that temps in the 80s won't present a problem, what about 90, which they might just observe in D-ville?

I can only go by how much heat and sweat I've seen us build up when we've ridden during Winter and Spring, when temps don't go much above 60°.  I'm always drenched in sweat when we ride.  How much does my body need to cool itself if it's less than 60° outside and I'm sopping wet? I don't think I've ridden in temps much above 70 degrees, let alone temps in the 80s, as you say.

You and I have differing of opinions on this, where you're actively going out of your way to trivialize my concerns.  It would seem that until someone exhibits symptoms of heat stroke, you're convinced that everyone else's opinion is rubbish.

The conditions as they were forecast, in my opinion, presented a danger to the health of those dirt riding tomorrow.  I would like nothing more than to be wrong and for them to return safely.  But if they didn't, I certainly wouldn't want to be quoted as the one who spoke out against taking the issue of heat stroke during a heat wave seriously.

GreenMachine

Oh, jesus christ, Rich!  Don't be such a sissy.  You won't need the Camel Back tomorrow.  What are you basing taking that for on, some wild-assed guess that you'll need hydration?  Drink lots of beer and have a good time.

* sarcasm *

;)

slmoto

omg, sorry rich, I can't make it tomorrow because I'm exhausted from reading the lengthy excuses.

On the other hand I'll re hydrate with another beer and be there at 9am.

Ride on, Cheers.

Scott

dub

I did a 40 mile trail ride at dog valley/peavine today. I died zero times.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Quote from: dub on June 04, 2016, 06:54:31 PM
I did a 40 mile trail ride at dog valley/peavine today. I died zero times.

We just got back from 165 miles and died the same amount of times.

Weather was actually perfect today, couldn't ask for much better.

RichVee4

That was an amazing adventure, thats what adventure riding is all about, in my book.   Beautiful area, all the meadows were full of flowers, picturesque views of the sierra buttes, definitely one the more beautiful areas I've ridden. 

Temps were very comfortable in the high elevations which is were most of the ride was, I would say mid 70's.  I think heading up into the mountains was a good call to miss the heat today.  You could feel it warm up when we dropped into Dville, its a quick drop btw as SL can attest.   Had lunch and topped off the tank, 1.25 gal for 71 miles, guess I could have gone RT on one tank.  After lunch we explored the N side of 49.  Very wooded area and lots of streams.  The OHV trail we turned onto was not maintained and SL and I cleared half dozen trees from the trial and went around a few more.  About 8 miles in we had to turn around due to one tree blocking the trail with no way around. We were close to the fire lookout and could see it on the next peak over. If we stayed on the main road it would have been an easy goal.

This trip is worthy of an annual ride!   Looking forward to part III.