Main Menu

2016 Moto America Race schedule

Started by GreenMachine, April 06, 2016, 03:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

2016 MotoAmerica Championship Schedule (Tentative)

April 8-10: Circuit of The Americas - Austin, Texas

April 15-17: Road Atlanta - Braselton, Georgia

May 13-15: Virginia International Raceway - Alton, Virginia

June 3-5: Road America - Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin

June 10-12: Barber Motorsports Park - Birmingham, Alabama

July 8 -10: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - Monterey, California (TBC)

September 9-11: New Jersey Motorsports Park - Millville, New Jersey

The series will open again at the immaculate Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas, where MotoAmerica will race in conjunction with the second round of the MotoGP World Championship—the Red Bull Grand Prix of The Americas. Six additional rounds have been secured to follow COTA and MotoAmerica is working to add two more events to the schedule to make it a nine-round series, which would mirror the number of events from 2015.

"We've been working hard to nail down a schedule as soon as possible because we know how important it is to the teams, sponsors, and fans," said MotoAmerica partner Chuck Aksland. "Right now we have seven events ready to go. The seven rounds we have secured are racetracks we visited this year. We were pleased with our events at those facilities and the tracks are happy to have us return in 2016. The schedule will continue to grow in the coming weeks."

In addition to the Superbike/Superstock 1000, Supersport, and Bazzaz Superstock 600 classes, the KTM RC 390 Cup series will also return to the MotoAmerica series for 2016. A schedule for that series will be available at a later date.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Since my early days riding, I've always had a deep attachment to being at motorcycle races.  How starry-eyed I was back then!  My enthusiasm waned a bit many years after college, when I didn't have a motorcycle.  But riding to any race was extra special and I find that true even now.  If someone would schlep my stuff, I'd ride to more races.

It's an easy way to have fun.  You get to ride your motorcycle.  You turn a ride into an adventure.  You get to go places you wouldn't otherwise go and see things from your bike as you might not otherwise have seen them.  Plus, everyone at a motorcycle racing event knows and talks motorcycles.  At least when you tell your stories, they might actually be interested in hearing them, as opposed to family members and non-riding friends.

MotoAmerica is the old AMA racing organization promotional end.  Wayne Rainey, who I saw at my first ever racing event at Sears Point in, I want to say 1983, is the president of this newly formed organization. 

A replica of his 1983 Rob Muzzy tuned Kawasaki GPz-750.  Nice color, don't you think?

I rode a Kawasaki back then too, but I was a Honda fan.  That weekend Wayne won the race and I went home disappointed in that regard, but I distinctly remember the fun the fans had leaving the track after the race was over.  If any of you have been to Sears Point raceway you know the main highway is down the road about 1/2 mile or so from the main entrance.  All us UJM bikers crawled out through the traffic to the light, where we all lined up abreast waiting for the green light.  It was no normal green light, it was a christmas tree drag race green light.  Everyone else took off, literally just full out going eastbound, so I joined in too.  It still makes me laugh, thinking about it. :evil1  CHP didn't take chase.  They were too busy with post race traffic control.  Stupid fun.

I'll have to scan in some old photographs from that era to share with you guys in Mel's Diner.  ;)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 06, 2016, 04:29:16 PM
Since my early days riding, I've always had a deep attachment to being at motorcycle races.  How starry-eyed I was back then!  My enthusiasm waned a bit many years after college, when I didn't have a motorcycle.  But riding to any race was extra special and I find that true even now.  If someone would schlep my stuff, I'd ride to more races.

Last year you complained that the races were a procession and Laguna sucks because there is no place to pass.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

So, what's your point?  I still enjoyed riding the coast and being at the races with everyone.

The racing was terrible and Laguna Seca as a racetrack does suck.  Just goes to show how much I loved all the other things about the weekend.  :thumbup

Tahoebrian5

Where can you watch these races? Any network coverage?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

I believe they air on Bein sports, if you get that.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine