Main Menu

Dirt ride Sunday 11/22

Started by RichVee4, November 16, 2015, 08:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

No specifics yet,  but would like to get out for a few hours Sunday and do some trail riding.   Post up if you are interested and can come up with some ideas where to go.
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

I'm up for getting out in the dirt, we'll probably run into a bit of mud and snow as well.

Open to something mild to medium in difficulty as I get used to a different heavier bike. Probably want to stay east of the sierras to keep away of the heavy snow.

Could leave out of Peavine area and go explore north, see how far we get.

or try Jumbo Grade out of Washoe again, go over the ridge drop into Virgina City and go explore around that area a bit, optional lunch in VC.

Just a couple suggestions I'm open to considering anything else.

RichVee4

Medium duty is just what I was thinking.   I think we could find more to explore around the Jumbo grade area and head toward VC jerkey company for lunch.  Dosent get better than that!     

slmoto

Sounds good. If it interests you I'd like to explore more of the VC area, I haven't ridden out there at all. So maybe head over the hill early to give us a little more time to cruise around the VC dirt roads and trails.

And lunch at VC Jerkey sounds good, I don't know why but there's something really appealing about being able to grab a good lunch on a dirt ride.

RichVee4

Would be nice if we had someone that had done the VC grand prix and could show us around.  I will do a little research and try to find more online and we can go from there.  How about a start of 9:30am and be back to the trailhead around 2pm.   

RichVee4

Pretty cool video of last years grand prix.  I recognize a little of six mile canyon toward the beginning.

https://youtu.be/1NfhgATJdkk

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on November 17, 2015, 07:54:52 PM
How about a start of 9:30am and be back to the trailhead around 2pm.   

Sounds good, shall we meet at that same area we rode out from before?

Video was cool, looks like lots of fun terrain out there.

RichVee4

Hard time finding a map.  I've heard it changes year to year but come on google why so difficult.  I guess I'll see you on the way down since you are Mr street legal.  Meet at same place as last time. 

slmoto

It'd probably make just as much sense for me to throw it in your trailer and ride with you but i haven't had a chance to ride anything other than the city streets so I'd like to hit the highway a bit and see how it handles it.

I'll see if i can find anything about the grand pirx but from the looks of the video you posted i don't know that my bike would be up for some of those trails.

RichVee4

Good time to test out the bike on the hwy and put some miles on it.  You have a support crew in the unlikely event you need it.  I will have my trailer and phone.   

RichVee4

Was talking to someone today that had ridden quads from VC to this petroglyph site in Virginia Highlands.   Sounded like a pretty easy ride and cool spot to see if we have time.   Looking at the map you take a dirt road leaving VC north toward Reno a mile or two until Lousetown rd then head east.   These are pretty well traveled roads so might be a fun area to explore

http://nevada.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,2,fid,857323,n,lagomarsino%20petroglyph%20site.cfm

RichVee4

slmoto

Sounds good to me. I'm definitely on more of an exploring pace with this thing.

GreenMachine

Looks like I missed a cool adventure.

SL, the KLR probably feels more sluggish due to its gearing and weight.  Might want to change the sprockets to get closer gear ratios down lower.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on November 22, 2015, 09:30:53 AM
Looks like I missed a cool adventure.

SL, the KLR probably feels more sluggish due to its gearing and weight.  Might want to change the sprockets to get closer gear ratios down lower.

It was a good ride. Didn't find the petroglyph's so gives us an excuse to go back another time, we were close though. Found some nice canyons to cruise down and I haven't been out in that area before so it's always nice to get out and see new areas

The gearing works out pretty well. It has a nice climbing gear that gets me up decent climbs. The jump from 1st to 2nd is a bit big but I'm getting used to it. I knew getting into this thing that it's not fast and that was something I was prepared to accept. Other than some protective pieces like skid plates, hand protectors.. and maybe stiffer springs, I won't be doing too much to the KLR. I accept it for what it is, no use dumping lots of money into it, that'd be better spent just purchasing an already better adventure bike. This thing does the job and I don't feel as bad dumping it in the dirt as I would a more expensive bike.

It did surprisingly well today though. Tires kind of sucked in the really sloppy stuff and the right foot peg fell off in the morning due to stripped bolts, so I rode about 2/3rds of the ride today with one foot peg. Other than that it did well, definitely not a proper dirt bike but it's fun enough and street legal which has been a big plus around town. Lots of water crossing and a few rocky sections and a couple decent climbs that it just putted right through.