Main Menu

Mean Green ADV Machine

Started by RichVee4, August 05, 2015, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

This KLR was a cover project for an accessories supplier.  For those that are drawn to green or KLR's it looks ready for your next adventure.  

Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Does it say or show the rider's seat?  That's been something I thought lacking in the past, the seat's always been too skinny.  For a dirt bike sure, but for an adv bike, I'd want it to be wider.  :2cents
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

My next bike, except I'll probably go with the gen 1 version. Doesn't seem to be a drastic difference in changes between the old and new except for the look and price difference.

I've heard the seat is not the best but it also sounds like there are a lot of aftermarket options out there to solve that. That seems to be the theme of these bikes, wherever they lack there appears to be a fix available to customize it to your taste and how you intend to use it. How could there not be, with decades behind them and only two different versions during that time period the aftermarket options are bound to pile up.

dub

Quote from: slmoto on August 06, 2015, 10:03:03 AM
My next bike, except I'll probably go with the gen 1 version. Doesn't seem to be a drastic difference in changes between the old and new except for the look and price difference.

I've heard the seat is not the best but it also sounds like there are a lot of aftermarket options out there to solve that. That seems to be the theme of these bikes, wherever they lack there appears to be a fix available to customize it to your taste and how you intend to use it. How could there not be, with decades behind them and only two different versions during that time period the aftermarket options are bound to pile up.

I'll be you could buy a KLR and replace every single piece except the crankcase and frame with an aftermarket option.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Mentions the updated KLR has an improved seat and suspension.  They installed a 4" taller windscreen which would be nice option to have.   Also mentioned a guys with a KLR with 200K miles, break in miles as they say.  

Honda has really missed the boat in the ADV segment but finally plans to introduce a ADV bike next year, 1000cc African twin.   Would seriously consider clearing some room for one if the price was right.    

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2016-honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-honda-releases-technical-specs-photos-adventure-touring-adv-first

slmoto

I was at the Kawi dealer a few weeks ago checking them out. It's only in the latest model that have those upgrades, they'd be nice but not enough to get me to buy new vs used.

The Honda is looking good. Personally though, I don't want to go that big. My plan is to get the KLR use it for an international trip then get rid of it when I get back and get either the Tiger 800 or BMW GS 650 or 800.

Clear some room for the Honda? Does that mean getting rid of a bike or scooting the other bikes tighter to fit one more, I'd vote for the later. ;D

RichVee4

If only I could convince Monica to park her car outside!   Nice to have different types of bikes for different purposes but when you consider the registration, insurance, maintenance, etc it gets harder to justify the cost.

That sounds like a good plan, dont need a new bike to take abroad and worry about it.   Used KLRs are easy to come by and rock solid dependable.   Plus you may pick up some of the accessories you want at a fraction of the cost.   

I like the idea of a lightweight twin/tripple for highway runs which would probably be the majority of what I would use it for.  Not a fan of the heavy/wide BMW GS but the BMW twins or Tiger would be a good option.  Who am I kidding it would have to be a Honda.

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on August 06, 2015, 08:36:12 PM
Who am I kidding it would have to be a Honda.

If only Honda offered one of those punch cards the sandwich shops have. You'd be well on your way to getting your 10th Honda free.

RichVee4

:rotflmao.   4 Honda's and I'm still well under the cost of a single HD.  Thats not even counting the Honda mower, sweet mower by the way.  Should be worth some type of loyalty discount.

dub

Quote from: RichVee4 on August 06, 2015, 09:05:31 PM
:rotflmao.   4 Honda's and I'm still well under the cost of a single HD.  Thats not even counting the Honda mower, sweet mower by the way.  Should be worth some type of loyalty discount.

Nobody on this planet makes a better lawnmower than Honda. Snowblowers too.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019