Main Menu

Track my cbr1000 or trade for 600?

Started by Tahoebrian5, May 29, 2015, 12:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I've decided I need a dedicated track bike as I'm scared to ride the S1000rr in track because it's too damn expensive and too damn fast. So what to do? For about $2500 I can get the CBR setup with Ohlins and track plastics. Or I was considering seeing if I could trade it for a track ready 600. I'm also considering trying out a few races. Any thoughts on advantages to a 600? Is there more beginner racing classes available with the 600?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

For T-hills west track I'd think a smaller, lighter, more nimble bike would give you more satisfaction.  The valley floor would make a 600 a lot more motorcycle there than here.

If I had to make the choice, I'd either lump it and ride the CBR I'm familiar with or sell it, buy the 600 and go that route.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Well, after talking it over with the wife, I am banned from racing. Probly for the best. I'm also having a hard time parting with the CBR. We've been through some times together. Looks like I'm going to get her track ready. Shopping for ohlins first, then will worry about track skins later. Love to spend money!

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

Got ohlins forks on the way, and about to pull the trigger on a shock. Now I just need to get her all fixed up for the T Hill day on the 19th. Any recommendations on tires? I've been running Q2's but last time I rode track with them I think I'm out riding them. They were getting greasy and sliding a bunch. So thinking maybe it's time for a dedicated track tire. What's good for the money and considering I don't yet have warmers?

dub

Try out the Pirelli Pro Slick. It's a trackday tire, not a race tire. Not as sticky, but lasts a lot longer, doesn't need warmers.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Tahoebrian5

Quote from: dub on June 02, 2015, 10:23:12 AM
Try out the Pirelli Pro Slick. It's a trackday tire, not a race tire. Not as sticky, but lasts a lot longer, doesn't need warmers.

Where do you buy these bad boys? Having trouble finding em

dub

Since it's a track tire, only Pirelli Race Tire distributors can sell them. You'll have to get it from Brian @ SPL locally.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019