Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

2015 Trackday Thread

Started by Tahoebrian5, May 29, 2015, 08:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

Quote from: slmoto on June 11, 2015, 10:15:02 AM
Well, that's a bummer. Thanks for posting. Seems like track day promotion is a tough business to keep going.

There is no doubt from anyone that Precision put on an excellent trackday.
The problem that led to this was just that they were a newcomer to the game, so they didn't have the clout to get the premium dates from the tracks. All the tracks in NorCal, are pretty much booked solid all season.
At Thunderhill, for example, they have the track rented out an average of 325 days every year! Think about it: you have PTT, Z2, K@TT, PTD, NCRC, AFM all looking to book good dates at Thill, and those are just the motorcycle organizers. Then add in the cars; Trackmasters, NCRC, Hooked on Driving, NASA, SCCA, Car Clubs all trying to get the same dates. And those are just the major car/bike organizers. Add in all the private people/organizations looking to put on a trackday for their members/friends, THEN add in all the companies looking to book the track for non-public events. Manufacturer testing, media testing, private events, etc. Thunderhill has a client list of 76 organizations. And they are all fighting for 4 weekends a month.
You can put on the best trackday event in the world, but if most of your dates are on a monday/tuesday, or thursday/friday, when people have to go to work, the lower attendance just can't support continuted operations.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

When you put it that way sounds like NorCal needs another track. 325 ave per year sounds pretty amazing, I wouldn't have guessed it to be that high.

The company that ran the track days I used to go to for cars at Willow Springs probably ran into the same issues. Most of the track days I went to were on the weekdays, I liked them since they were less expensive and seemed to have less idiot drivers than on the weekends but obviously weekdays are not ideal for the masses. I don't know if they are still around but I know they were struggling when I used to go back in the day.

Tahoebrian5

Nooooo! Damn, PTT is way more expensive. Maybe that's why they are still in biz
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

Ok, I signed up for the following weekend with Keigwins. I did Sunday (full course!), B group. It's almost full so better hurry if you want in.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

Dub, I'm trying to do at least one a month. I'm looking at ZZ, Keigwins, and Pacific TT. Any others I should be checking out? I didn't recognize some of the names you posted above. Advice to keep costs down?

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 11, 2015, 12:22:23 PM
Ok, I signed up for the following weekend with Keigwins. I did Sunday (full course!), B group. It's almost full so better hurry if you want in.

I'm going to pass, looks like B group is the lowest they offer that day and I have no track experience on a motorcycle.

Have fun, maybe I'll catch up with you on one of the other track days if you do start doing them one a month.

Tahoebrian5

Bummer! Well Take a look at The three providers we are left with and if you find a day that works let me know and I'll try to make it work. I am going to be at Miller with Apex track days on July 24th. Over the next year or so I'm hoping to do Laguna, and Cota. Those are serious bucket list tracks!

RichVee4

Bummed to hear about Precision, didn't see that coming.  They seemed to have a good turnout at the events I attended and well run program.  I'm sure it was a difficult decision and wish everyone well.   Was looking forward to future events with them...
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

I wouldn't have thunk with the numbers they were getting, even during the heat of the summer.

We need to help get a C group day or half-(C) day & half-(B) day under SL's belt.  He's ready.  And if you guys can share travel costs, that would be the way to go.  Heck, I've fancied doing Laguna Seca some day too, but it's not really something I have to do.  I'd actually be more interested in doing Sears Point.  But I don't have to do that either.  :-\

I just like riding.  It doesn't have to be fast.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 11, 2015, 01:23:09 PM
Bummer! Well Take a look at The three providers we are left with and if you find a day that works let me know and I'll try to make it work. I am going to be at Miller with Apex track days on July 24th. Over the next year or so I'm hoping to do Laguna, and Cota. Those are serious bucket list tracks!

Thanks. I have a lot of money going out in July and Aug with some other trips coming up so I'm not sure I'll be able to make those months but I'll keep an eye out and see if I can't work something in, if I can I'll let you know.

I always wanted to go do Laguna when I was doing car track days, unfortunately I was in southern California at the time and ended up getting out of the whole car thing when I moved back north. That would be an awesome track to do, that's a good goal to have, makes me want to get some track time in even more to get the point where I could handle Laguna and have fun.

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 11, 2015, 07:37:24 PM
We need to help get a C group day or half-(C) day & half-(B) day under SL's belt.  He's ready.  And if you guys can share travel costs, that would be the way to go.  Heck, I've fancied doing Laguna Seca some day too, but it's not really something I have to do.  I'd actually be more interested in doing Sears Point.  But I don't have to do that either.  :-\

I just like riding.  It doesn't have to be fast.

I'll get there eventually. I don't necessarily have a great desire to go fast. What I was looking forward to the track for was to be able to do the same turns over and over where you can make adjustments and improve each time. But hey, going isn't the worst feeling either. ;D

Tahoebrian5

track days aren't about speed. If you want speed go to the salt flats. Track is about the craft of riding a motorcycle to its limits

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 11, 2015, 09:34:20 PM
track days aren't about speed. If you want speed go to the salt flats. Track is about the craft of riding a motorcycle to its limits

Well said.

Tahoebrian5

The fast parts are actually my least favorite part of doing track days. It scares me when I get over 140 and the bike is still pulling! Give me a tight track any day.

GreenMachine

Mel, should be along anytime now, commenting on what kind of sissy would be scared of doing 140 MPH on two wheels.  Heck, in his day they did that on one, on goat roads, in the rain.

I'm in so much trouble!   :hiding
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 11, 2015, 11:53:49 AM
Nooooo! Damn, PTT is way more expensive. Maybe that's why they are still in biz

That's because they get good dates. The track charges more to rent on more desirable days.

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 11, 2015, 12:31:21 PM
Dub, I'm trying to do at least one a month. I'm looking at ZZ, Keigwins, and Pacific TT. Any others I should be checking out? I didn't recognize some of the names you posted above. Advice to keep costs down?

Best advice to keep costs down is doing weekdays. NCRC is a car club that has a moto run group at some of their events. It's only $99, but you get less sessions. http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019