Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

2015 Trackday Thread

Started by Tahoebrian5, May 29, 2015, 08:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Pretty much what Rich said.  He was there in April and you'll be there in mid-June.  Big difference in how much hotter the surface temperatures are going to be.  I melted my street tires pretty good after only a few sessions.  By the end of the day, the tires were almost half gone.  They were all gooey and gummed up <here>.  I didn't feel like I was stressing them much either.  It must have been all the hard braking and my obsession with bending the bike on its side every chance I had.  That's the fun part after all!!  I was on the original course.

I'd think if you were thinking total grip, that slicks would be best, but probably of some harder compound, similar to street or touring.  Then get tire warmers so you don't have to waste two laps each session warming them up.  Plus there's the heat cycle problem with them, in that they don't work best going hot cold hot cold, etc... all day long.  So I've heard.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

This is going to be a great day. Cmon, we need more SSA members representing!

On tires, it really depends how hard you want to ride. If you just want to cruise around the track and have fun, you'll probably be fine on the tires you have as long as they have 40% or more life left in em. But if you want to start exploring hard braking, higher corner speed, and getting on the gas early then you are going to be better off on a new tire.

On bike prep, I think precision has a link on their website. The main things are putting distilled water plus water wetter in your radiator, and make sure your throttle snaps back by itself when you let go. Other than that just make sure your bike is in good repair. Check brake pads, sprockets, etc for wear.

Let me know if you need help with anything. I've got some new parts coming for the CBR so I'm going to be doing some wrenching soon. Probly mid next week. I'll also have some Isle of Man recorded soon. If that doesn't get you excited for a track day then you have serious issues.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

Thanks guys.

I've read the Precision bike and rider prep, pretty much got everything covered just need to do the radiator fluid switch and I wanted to check the wear on my brake pads.

For tires I'm probably going to try the Q3's or BT003's. I'll just use the new tires for the track, seems like either of those tire choices wear fast on the street. If they do well and I feel like I want to do more track days I may just set them aside afterwards and save the rest of them for another day.

TB, where did you get the Q3's for under $250?

Isle of Man would be nice to watch, didn't even know it was up until you mentioned it.

Tahoebrian5

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 02, 2015, 08:52:57 AM
I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV. They were on my doorstep 48 hours later. Place is legit.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/42675/Dunlop-Sportmax-Q3-Radial-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire?term=dunlop%20q3

Thanks, I'm going to grab a set. If they're good enough for you, I'm sure they'll be more than good enough for me and they're slightly cheaper than the BT003's anyway so can't complain about that.

Tahoebrian5

Make sure you get the right size. Mine is a 190/55 which is probably a bit more money than yours

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 02, 2015, 10:05:41 AM
Make sure you get the right size. Mine is a 190/55 which is probably a bit more money than yours

Yeah, mine is only 180 in the rear, came in well under $250 at only $226 for the set.

Tahoebrian5

Damn, that's a deal! The benefits of a 600. You're not gonna want to go back to inferior tires after you get used to these.

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on June 02, 2015, 10:11:39 AM
You're not gonna want to go back to inferior tires after you get used to these.

That's the scary part. I was good with the Pilot Power 3's getting a good 8k miles, now you're going to get me hooked these and changing tires every couple thousand miles.

Tahoebrian5

You'll probly get 3500 cause your bike is lighter. I think it's a small price to pay to have some extra grip. Might just be the little extra bit you need to avoid a crash.

GreenMachine

You know.  If we had some live feeds from the IoM practice sessions, that would be awesome. 

On a whim, I checked SL's WSBK YT link and it's already been flagged.  So that one is down for WSBK.  All I can find media-wise on IoM are interviews about how windy it was there yesterday.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 03, 2015, 07:36:18 AM
You know.  If we had some live feeds from the IoM practice sessions, that would be awesome. 

On a whim, I checked SL's WSBK YT link and it's already been flagged.  So that one is down for WSBK.  All I can find media-wise on IoM are interviews about how windy it was there yesterday.
Try searching wsbk round ## (Whatever round you're looking for) you may find new links. Their yp channels get blocked then they usually just pop up under a different channel.

Tahoebrian5

Velocity is airing IOM footage. It's not live and isn't until next weekend but it's better than nothing.

dub

These dates are cancelled; Precision has gone out of business. If you guys bought after May 26th, you will get a refund. Otherwise you will get credit of equal value towards a PTT event.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/precision-trackdays/announcement-precision-trackdays-closing-grows-stronger/1046528508705821

Precision Trackdays
Sacramento, Ca
6/11/2015

Public Announcement:

It is with sadness and great difficulty that we announce the closure of Precision Trackdays. We have had some of the best and most memorable experiences with our family of staff and customers since the days of riding at Reno-Fernley Raceway in Nevada. Our thanks go out to all of our loyal supporters, vendors, businesses and of course, our amazing staff that have worked so hard to bring us to a stronger existence within the Northern California track day market.  Though closure is inevitably a failure, we have achieved many successes along the way. In 2014 we moved from Nevada to California to keep our family of riders together after the local track became unsuitable for motorcycle use. Our goal from that point was to maintain the extremely family friendly, non-competitive and safe environment that Precision was known for. With minimal accidents and new customers coming on board, we accomplished this goal. The number of events increased as accidents decreased due to our intense focus on the customer experience. In 2014, our staff went racing and earned multiple AFM novice and expert championships and podiums which gave us credibility among the more established track day providers in the area. In 2015, we have had zero red flags or track stoppages. Nothing but fun on two wheels. We succeeded at everything we could control. We could not have done this without the dedication of our staff, vendors and the awesome customers that choose to ride with Precision, maintaining an appropriate mind-set for track day riding. While we exceeded expectations in so many areas, scheduling and a very competitive market created a financial hardship. Passion for helping others is what got us this far and passion is what will help us to move forward to better days. Thank you all for riding with Precision.

While Precision Trackdays is closing, we have not lost a home but have gained amazing, passionate family with a successful track day provider. Ken Casey of Pacific Track Time, not purchasing Precision Trackdays, has agreed to help take care of our customer base and provide a home for our Precision staff and customers which includes season pass holders, 4 pack holders, people that have prepaid and everyone else that loves to ride with
Precision. You won't find many people more dedicated to the rider community than Ken and the respect we have for his commitment to the sport is the reason we are 100% confident and so excited about this affiliation. Adding some of Precision's strengths to the Pacific Track Time events, the result should be nothing short of amazing. Many of our PTD staff will be switching vests (Yes, Ethan will be riding again) and we will continue with our track day barbeques, fun family environment and large support groups for the racers... but even better! Circumstances are not ideal but this move is in the right direction and we are super excited about the upcoming events with PTT. Please stay tuned for future announcements as we look forward to riding with all of our friends. You are sure to like the fun and exciting events that PTT puts on.

If you have purchased a Precision Trackdays season pass, 4 pack, gift card or have registered for a future event you will be contacted shortly (over the next few business days). We are working diligently to ensure that everyone is take care of. Anyone who has made a purchase on May 26th or later will be receiving a refund while purchases made earlier will be receiving a gift of equal value from our friends at PTT. No other provider has a heart that big and we are amazed at the support from all PTT. Thank you, Ken, for your generosity and friendship.

In closing, we appreciate your patience as we navigate this transition and contact everyone that has pre-paid. We would like to encourage everyone to join us and ride with Pacific Track Time.

You can view Pacific Track Time's schedule and register for events at www.PacificTrackTime.com.

Please like the PTT Facebook page www.facebook.com/PacificTrackTime and join the PTT fan page www.facebook.com/groups/PacificTrackTimeFanClub so we can stay connected, meet more awesome friends and ride together!

For questions and additional information you can reach Ken or Ethan directly. (Ken@pacifictracktime.com, Ethan@PrecisionTD.com)

Thank you!
Ethan Nutter
Precision Trackdays

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Well, that's a bummer. Thanks for posting. Seems like track day promotion is a tough business to keep going.