Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

2015 Trackday Thread

Started by Tahoebrian5, May 29, 2015, 08:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I'm thinking about going. This is the new 2mi course I believe which I've been told is tighter and slower. Anyone interested?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

Hmm... I may have some interest. I've been on the fence about doing a track day maybe it's time to give it a shot.

If you do go are you thinking both days or just one?

Tahoebrian5

Probably just one day. I need to get a day in before I go to miller to get my chops up. We can car pool if you decide to go.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

I can't make that one. But the west course is super fun.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 29, 2015, 09:02:10 AM
Probably just one day. I need to get a day in before I go to miller to get my chops up. We can car pool if you decide to go.

That's sounding even more appealing, let me think it over for a second and make sure I can fit it in my schedule and I'll let you know soon.

slmoto

Alright, I'm able to work it into my schedule. I'm in!

I have a camping trip the following week so I'd prefer Thursday to allow more time in between to get ready but I can do either day if Friday is better for you or anyone else that wants to go.

Tahoebrian5

Awesome, give me another day to make sure the minister of war and finance approves the trip. I'll post up tomorrow and then we should buy our spots asap so they don't sell out

Tahoebrian5

Ok, one more day and I will know for sure. If I have to do Friday is that an option for you? I've got a camping trip with my dad for Father's Day the following weekend so trying to get everything sync' up.

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on May 31, 2015, 08:29:08 AM
Ok, one more day and I will know for sure. If I have to do Friday is that an option for you? I've got a camping trip with my dad for Father's Day the following weekend so trying to get everything sync' up.

No problem. I can do either day, if Friday is better for you I'm fine with that.

Tahoebrian5

Ok, Friday it is! I'm logging on now to make sure they arn t sold out.

slmoto

Sounds good. I just purchased c group for Friday 6/19.

slmoto

Any suggestions on the tire situation? I haven't done a track day yet on a bike.

I currently have Bridgestone S20's with about 1500 miles on them.

Will one track day burn through a set of tires, should I get a fresh set on when it gets closer?
If so I was thinking of trying the BT003's, seem to be good bang for the buck based on reviews I've read.

Tahoebrian5

Awesome! I'm signed up also. I'm not familiar with the bridge stones, I'd try to roast em as much as possible and then get a new set for the track if you have funds available. The Q3's are hard to beat. I just read a tire shoutout and they basically killed every other tire except the Pirelli supercorsas. But the pirellis are way more expensive and don't last nearly as long. Another nice thing about the Q3 is it heats up faster than any other tires, so it's safer. This is all based on cross over tires btw, not dedicated track or road. I'll see if I can dig up the review. I just bought a set of Q3's for under $250 shipped. They last me about 2500 miles on the street.

So this is your first ever track day, correct?

slmoto

Not bad $250 it's comparable if not better than the bt003, where'd you get them from? I was thinking id just keep using what i have for the street and get something more track oriented for the track day and if my current tires are not used up I'll just set them aside
and use them up later.

yes this it's my first track day on a bike. Been to quite a few in a car but none on a bike yet.

Any advise it's more than welcomed.

RichVee4

Quote from: slmoto on June 01, 2015, 01:25:38 PM
Any suggestions on the tire situation? I haven't done a track day yet on a bike.

I currently have Bridgestone S20's with about 1500 miles on them.

Will one track day burn through a set of tires, should I get a fresh set on when it gets closer?
If so I was thinking of trying the BT003's, seem to be good bang for the buck based on reviews I've read.

You guys are going to have so much fun, wish I could go but I will be in TX for 3 weeks.  I used my t30's at the track day and I didn't have any problems with grip, harder rubber than the s20.  With the duel compound tires the side rubber gets nice and tacky at temp.  Be sure to set the pressure correct for the track and give them a couple laps to heat up.   It certainly helped wear down the rubber on the side but was still able to still use them for the OoB ride and the tires weren't new before the trackday.
Live long and prosper \V/