Main Menu

Dirt ride over Sierras to Hwy 20 via Henness Pass Rd

Started by RichVee4, April 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I'm thinking that I want to give the rest of Henness Trail a go sometime in the future, where we split off from it at Jackson Meadows Reservoir.  Start there and go out to Comptonville and back.  People say they've done it in 2-wd SUVs.  Can't be that bad then.

I'm going to measure the fuel the bike takes on and see what king of mileage/MPG it returned.  The hike map shows 37 miles each way.  That would be another adventure we could do.  Thinking, put two bikes per pickup and drive to the dam.

For another day!  8)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Rode it work today. I put in 42psi and when I left work there was 35 psi. The front tire is also leaking, at about the same rate, but I can't find the hole. That front tire has 12,000 miles on it; I don't feel bad replacing it.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

I would be game for exploring further down Henness rd from Jackson Meadows.  If we have the range don't mind leaving out of Verdi again, its a quick ride to 89 and more fun than driving.  I've heard you can access D'ville and if you stay on Henness rd leads to Nevada City.   Sounds like a good Fall ride.  My tires were pretty worn before this ride (I think they're stock) but after the ride I have about 1/8" less tread.  Bike was a handful to control, don't know if it was the loose rocks or tires, probably both.  New tires are needed.

This tire patching exercise got me thinking about my street bike repair kit.  Someone gave me a portable version of this repair kit, made by Safety Seal.  Never used it but reviews are promising.  Very simple to use and the portable version comes with CO2.   

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Seal-String-Tire-Repair/dp/B001DIECCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431400544&sr=8-1&keywords=safety+seal
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

Quote from: RichVee4 on May 11, 2015, 08:24:13 PMThis tire patching exercise got me thinking about my street bike repair kit.  Someone gave me a portable version of this repair kit, made by Safety Seal.  Never used it but reviews are promising.  Very simple to use and the portable version comes with CO2.   

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Seal-String-Tire-Repair/dp/B001DIECCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431400544&sr=8-1&keywords=safety+seal

I just did some research thinking maybe I should switch to the string type kit. Opinion seems to be split pretty even on which type is best. I mean, my mushroom style plug did get me home, which is really all you can ask of it. So I dunno. However if you wanna go string type it does seem that the Safety Seal brand you have is best.

Rich, you and I should have enough plugs for everyone on the memorial day ride, since I'm sure we're the only ones carrying...
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 05, 2015, 07:42:58 AM
Any video footage from this ride?

Yeah, and we need a replay of Rich's action! Or is that footage being burned to leave no evidence?  ;D